• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

COVID Testing Options

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I thought I'd start a new thread about this, since I've been seeing various posts about it scattered around the different threads.Perhaps we can collect the various options people have discovered into one thread, for easy reference.

I discovered a new at-home testing option: Quest Diagnostics (saw it on a TV commercial). They offer "rapid" (antigen) and PCR (antibody) testing, which you can collect at home w/included instructions, or go to a collection center for assistance. They charge ~$130, if pd out-of-pocket, but they also accept any insurance that will pay for it. Their website is pretty helpful. They also have a phone app to get results, etc.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for start the thread. Word of caution - I would be careful with the rapid antigen tests, some of them are not accurate, have high false positive and false negative rates. RT-PCR tests are more accurate but even those are prone to false positives and false negatives in certain settings.

I like Vault saliva RT-PCR test, it's not free however. It is reliable, as was developed by scientists at Rutgers and you get results within 72 hours:
Vault Health | Covid-19 Testing

I have used it and 2 other friends of mine used it to get tested for traveling or other personal reasons, they got results quickly. The drawback of this test is that it's $119, free in WY according to WY public health web-site and for Medicare recipients in some states according to the Vault web-site..

MissySki

Angel Diva
Anyone in MA, if you do a Google search for "Stop the Spread" sites you will find free testing with very quick turn around of results. If anyone has seen my experience with this posted elsewhere on the forum you may know that the waits are long for the non-appointment based sites.. Though you can do appointments at some sites as well. I've tested for the last 4 weeks straight and have essentially settled into a habit for now and it's not so bad with just getting there early in the morning so your actual day isn't taken up. I've always had my results in between 17 and 30ish hours each week so far which is great.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Ran across this article: At-Home COVID-19 Tests That'll Save You from Waiting In Line
Seems like they're all around the same price range, ~$120, if you pay out-of-pocket, but all accept insurance.The catch with insurance paying for these seems to be a Dr's order; i.e., Medicare/Ins co's will cover the costs of a diagnostic test, it's unclear whether they will pay for pre- or post-travel tests.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you, @TNtoTaos

My insurance requires Dr's orders, they will not cover the test simply for travel. Also it is a good overview article, something to note about RT-PCR tests: they are more accurate then the rapid antigen test generally, but false positives and false negatives are still possible depending how the tests is ran and analyzed, also the sample collection method.

I have done RT-PCR on cancer cells for my post-doctoral research and can tell you that the limit of detection (how little virus can detect) and specifity (false positive rate) are inversely correlated so it's a trade off. I looked up how the COVID RT-PCR tests structured and they are definitely erring on the lowest limit of detection side, so false positives can be as high as 17% depending on which lab is doing and analyzing the test.

The reason why I like Vault RT-PCR test is because it was invented and implemented by scientists from Rutgers who understand the limitations of RT-PCR tests for COVID so I think that is probably one of the most accurate RT-PCR SARS-CoV2 tests on the market.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Thank you, @TNtoTaos
...The reason why I like Vault RT-PCR test is because it was invented and implemented by scientists from Rutgers who understand the limitations of RT-PCR tests for COVID so I think that is probably one of the most accurate RT-PCR SARS-CoV2 tests on the market.
Thanks, @Olesya Chornoguz , that's good to know about Vault.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The reason why I like Vault RT-PCR test is because it was invented and implemented by scientists from Rutgers who understand the limitations of RT-PCR tests for COVID so I think that is probably one of the most accurate RT-PCR SARS-CoV2 tests on the market.
Found out recently that Vault is being used by the medical school where my ski buddy has been teaching for quite a while. They order large batches tests so obviously get a bulk rate.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Hahaha good one! I am happy to explain anything immunology or biotechnology related to you are other Divas. I love talking about science. :smile:
I’m super grateful you and the other science divas are here, too! I think I asked you this already, but are you comfortable in the bio skins masks around other people or are they more of a distance one for you? I like them, they're comfortable, but since there's no place for a filter I was wondering how smart a choice they are on their own. Thinking of skiing, for example - we've ordered the Seirus Dana mask (which has been sitting in Chicago for several days now, not moving!) and my first plan is to try the bio skins mask and that as a combo, so when I go into the lodge for bathroom breaks, would the bio skins on its own be sufficient? (I know you can’t evaluate other people's risk tolerance, but I can tell you I've been out every day through all of this and really have only been really uncomfortable one time.)

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m super grateful you and the other science divas are here, too! I think I asked you this already, but are you comfortable in the bio skins masks around other people or are they more of a distance one for you? I like them, they're comfortable, but since there's no place for a filter I was wondering how smart a choice they are on their own. Thinking of skiing, for example - we've ordered the Seirus Dana mask (which has been sitting in Chicago for several days now, not moving!) and my first plan is to try the bio skins mask and that as a combo, so when I go into the lodge for bathroom breaks, would the bio skins on its own be sufficient? (I know you can’t evaluate other people's risk tolerance, but I can tell you I've been out every day through all of this and really have only been really uncomfortable one time.)
It depends on the situation for me. I think outdoors Bioskin mask is enough. Indoors if I am not interacting with people much (like grocery store late in the evenin) it's fine too. I wouldn't ride a gondola with people I don't know just wearing Bioskin mask though. If I am Indoors around a lot of people that are close like airport/ flying or doctor's visit I wear N95 and goggles. Everyone's risk tolerance is different though, like you said. I know some people wear KN95 masks while skiing.

Let's get back to testing though, that is what this thread is about..

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

alr

Certified Ski Diva
I thought I'd start a new thread about this, since I've been seeing various posts about it scattered around the different threads.Perhaps we can collect the various options people have discovered into one thread, for easy reference.

I discovered a new at-home testing option: Quest Diagnostics (saw it on a TV commercial). They offer "rapid" (antigen) and PCR (antibody) testing, which you can collect at home w/included instructions, or go to a collection center for assistance. They charge ~$130, if pd out-of-pocket, but they also accept any insurance that will pay for it. Their website is pretty helpful. They also have a phone app to get results, etc.
this is a good option since my local free route is all log jammed with the surge and dealing with symptomatic testing. Can't get an appointment for asymptomatic testing...

alr

Certified Ski Diva
Anyone in MA, if you do a Google search for "Stop the Spread" sites you will find free testing with very quick turn around of results. If anyone has seen my experience with this posted elsewhere on the forum you may know that the waits are long for the non-appointment based sites.. Though you can do appointments at some sites as well. I've tested for the last 4 weeks straight and have essentially settled into a habit for now and it's not so bad with just getting there early in the morning so your actual day isn't taken up. I've always had my results in between 17 and 30ish hours each week so far which is great.
have you been lately? My town is totally overwhelmed now with testing and they are saying supplies are short too. I was going to be good and test after going to NH this weekend, but maybe I just won't leave the house. I don't really need to...

MissySki

Angel Diva
have you been lately? My town is totally overwhelmed now with testing and they are saying supplies are short too. I was going to be good and test after going to NH this weekend, but maybe I just won't leave the house. I don't really need to...

Yes, just went this morning (Tuesday).

Reactions: alr

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna