• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Cortina d' Ampezzo

Karenfrances

Certified Ski Diva
Hello all -- my teenage daughter and I are headed to Cortina the week before Christmas. This will be my first time ever skiing in Europe and I would love any advice or insights you lovely women might have to share. We will likely be skiing for 4 days (unless we really rally the day after we arrive). We will have a rental car and Ski Dolomiti tickets. Any suggestions on how to navigate skiing in the Dolomites? Can't-miss recommendations? Is it crazy to consider hiring a guide for a day? (The ski maps look overwhelming!) If it helps, I am a life-long but not-as-frequent-as-I-would-like skier and my daughter is a tentative intermediate. (She has beautiful turns but isn't very comfortable with speed.) We live in DC but have split our skiing between the mid-Atlantic and Lake Tahoe thanks to (until recently) having family in the Sierra foothills. Thank you!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! What a great trip for December. Paging @santacruz skier since she is a Californian who has skied in Europe more than once. Also @SkiBam . Although I'm not sure they have been to the Dolomites. I've only been during the summer and that was long ago. Absolutely gorgeous scenery!

Where do you ski in the mid-Atlantic? My home mountain is Massanutten. My favorite out west is Alta. Didn't start skiing regularly until I got my daughter on skis with the help of Massanutten ski school when she was 4. She graduated from college recently. Now I spend MLK weekends at Mnut with friends who have younger kids who like to ski.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have not skied Cortina or anywhere in the Dolomites but have heard wonderful things about Cortina. I think your intermediate daughter will do fine there as heard Cortina has lots of nice intermediate slopes. Also have heard great shops and restaurants.... but you can't beat the food in Italy no matter what, right?

You might enjoy getting a guide one day as you can ski to many different "ski stations" and it would be fun to explore other connected areas that you might not want to try on your own. It will broaden your horizons!

Enjoy and sounds like a lovely trip. BTW, I have skied several times (maybe 10) in Europe including Austria, Switzerland, France, and Italy ! So only the Alps and not the Dolomites. Yet.

And, I am a Tahoe skier but live on the coast.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have not skied Cortina or anywhere in the Dolomites but have heard wonderful things about Cortina. I think your intermediate daughter will do fine there as heard Cortina has lots of nice intermediate slopes. Also have heard great shops and restaurants.... but you can't beat the food in Italy no matter what, right?

You might enjoy getting a guide one day as you can ski to many different "ski stations" and it would be fun to explore other connected areas that you might not want to try on your own. It will broaden your horizons!

Enjoy and sounds like a lovely trip. BTW, I have skied several times (maybe 10) in Europe including Austria, Switzerland, France, and Italy ! So only the Alps and not the Dolomites. Yet.

And, I am a Tahoe skier but live on the coast.
That would be the 'other coast' for someone from DC!! :wink::tongue:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Depends whose side of the US you are on! :wink: Hope you are well these days!
I am , thank you! Hope you recover from Covid soon! I'm testing tomorrow as just spent time in Tahoe with friends. No going out to eat or indoors though.

Karenfrances

Certified Ski Diva
It is terrific to meet all of you and thanks for the encouragement! We are both getting pumped up for this trip -- we leave 2 weeks from tomorrow. Any others who want to chime in, please do, and I will also report back once we return from this adventure.

I grew up in the Bay Area and my favorite resorts in the last couple of decades have been Northstar and Sugar Bowl. I haven't really landed on a favorite place to ski in the mid-Atlantic -- over the years I've been to Wintergreen, Massanutten, Wisp, Canaan Valley, Whitetail, Timberline ... last winter we had fun at Timberline (new lift! great snowmaking!). And Whitetail is a very doable day trip so we usually end up there a time or two every year. Until recently I spent most of our skiing budget in CA, though, since we could see and stay with my dad. I'm excited to expand my ski travel to Italy!

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Those pistes are generally quite well marked, so you can manage without a guide, but it can be fun to have one so you can just relax and ski. Love the Dolomites, proud Italian food heritage with the great ski culture shared by Germany, Austria, and northern Italy. Enjoy!

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is terrific to meet all of you and thanks for the encouragement! We are both getting pumped up for this trip -- we leave 2 weeks from tomorrow. Any others who want to chime in, please do, and I will also report back once we return from this adventure.

I grew up in the Bay Area and my favorite resorts in the last couple of decades have been Northstar and Sugar Bowl. I haven't really landed on a favorite place to ski in the mid-Atlantic -- over the years I've been to Wintergreen, Massanutten, Wisp, Canaan Valley, Whitetail, Timberline ... last winter we had fun at Timberline (new lift! great snowmaking!). And Whitetail is a very doable day trip so we usually end up there a time or two every year. Until recently I spent most of our skiing budget in CA, though, since we could see and stay with my dad. I'm excited to expand my ski travel to Italy!
Would love to hear your thoughts about Cortina! I've skied the other areas to the west - Alta Badia (which links up to Cortina via Laguzoi IIRC) - and Val Gardena, but not Cortina itself.

If you're still there & have the time, you might want to check out doing the Hidden Valley day trip
https://www.noleggioscicortina.it/en/2016/10/lagazuoi-the-hidden-valley/ or https://lagazuoi.it/EN/Experience-Winter-page32-The-Armentarola-Piste

Otherwise would love to hear your thoughts on the trip! It's such a magical (and delicious) part of the world

Karenfrances

Certified Ski Diva
Hi all -- we returned last night (after skiing we also visited Venice and Florence). I absolutely loved the Dolomites and hope to return both for skiing and hiking in the future.

We skied Tofana (twice), Faloria, and Alta Badia. The first two are very local to Cortina (there are cable cars from town up to both) while Alta Badia is about an hour away by car, crossing several passes along the way. They had fresh snow two days before we arrived but none while we were there -- with cold temperatures and snow-making, there was plenty to ski on but not really any off-piste. (Which was fine for us.)

We most enjoyed Tofana, which had plenty of blue and red intermediate runs for my daughter and some challenging (steep!) advanced runs as well. We also enjoyed Alta Badia (the scenery was gorgeous) but found it harder to navigate -- we ended up on some seemingly-endless traverses and could not always figure out how to get where we wanted to be. I think skiing at Alta Badia with someone who knows the area would have been helpful. (The drive to and from Alta Badia was a little hair-raising, too -- next time I am going to figure out how to get a rental car with snow tires -- the rentals in Venice only included chains.) We skied the week before Christmas and none of the resorts felt crowded, although the Friday before Christmas started to feel busier.

Overall it was a terrific experience -- the scenery, the food (a big, big improvement from hamburgers and fries at a WV ski area cafeteria!), the sunshine, the hot chocolate with cream, the Aperol spritz at lunch -- I would go again in a heart beat. I would love to do a "ski safari" and stay in some of the refugios on the mountains, but we were also super-comfortable in our AirBnB in an outlying part of Cortina. Cortina itself is pretty small but has good restaurants, plenty of ski gear for sale and rent, and lots of aspirational shopping (way out of our price range). I did love the Cortina Co-Op, though -- a department store that includes a grocery store and wine store on the ground floor, designer clothing on the next few levels, and outdoor gear on the top floor.

I hope everyone else had as much fun on their ski holidays as we did!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Thanks for the great trip report. Makes me miss skiing in Europe. The skiing, the scenery, the people, the ambiance, the food, the "je ne said quoi." For about 20 years (2003-2019), I was going every other year and sometimes a couple years in a row. Maybe 2024!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna