• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Coping with altitude and long runs

snowgem

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am thinking how relatively unprepared I am to deal with Alta - going there from sea level, and also not being as physically strong for the steeper, longer runs:eek: . Any tips for coping (besides bringing a book for when I wear out!)?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Hydration, hydration, hydration. For at least a few days before and continuing through the trip, drink more water than you think you can possibly manage. I mean, like TONS.

Alta doesn't, if I recall correctly, go too much beyond 10k+- in elevation at summit. (Don't recall its base elevation, UT divas help me out here.) What's the elapsed time from your arrival to when you'll start skiing? Will you at least have an afternoon/evening before starting out? Are you staying in the city or at the resort?

First day: EASY DOES IT. Stay lower, just cruise, make stops, DRINK WATER. Do you have a Camelbak (SAC just gave them away earlier at something like $18)? Invaluable for hydration. Can't overemphasize this enough. Make it a lighter day, enjoy the scenery.

I've done it both ways: the right way and the wrong way. Wrong way was in CO, that's higher. Didn't have too many problems in several trips to UT -- but if you're concerned, just do the hydration thing, avoid alcohol first few days or altogether if possible, and have an easy first day out.

Good luck, I think you'll do fine:smile: !

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What she said, plus get plenty of sleep the night before and the night of arrival.

NannyMin

Banned
IntheClouds can probably tell you more about this, but, she saw a doctor (that was attending ESA) that specializes in AMS. His recommendation is to take 120mg of Ginkbo Biloba twice a day for a few days BEFORE ascending to a high altitude.

climber.girl1

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Don't drink alcohol the first day or two! :nono: And if you must, take it really easy. It will go STRAIGHT to your head!

And be sure to pace yourself. Your muscles are used to getting more oxygen, so don't work them quite as hard as you normally would, and take a little breather whenever you start to get winded!

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As a recent transplant from the East Coast to the Rockies area, I can definitely sympathize!

And I agree with all the above recommendations. Water, water, and more water. It will keep the altitude headaches down, and there's always Ibuprofen for that too. Get enough rest at night.

On the hill, take plenty of breaks as well. I can't tell you how many times I had to stop on the side of the trail and catch my breath the first time I skied out here! Maybe find a nice run that is only about 1/3 to 1/2 of the total vertical, and yo-yo that for awhile, then add more and more hill vertical. Ya don't need to ski top to bottom on every run!

Oh, and if it's a bluebird day, take some sunscreen, too! Sunburn in the winter is very real out here. :redface:

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The thing about a ski vacation is that you will ski several days in a row and that's not usually the way we do things. So, yeah, don't ski all out the first day! We just got home from our first trip away from our "home base." The elevation change wasn't quite what you're about to experience, but it was a bit higher.

(hydration -- I screwed up here, big time. I blame this on DH, who gets impatient with anything that reduces time moving on the hill)

DH whines about the whole idea of the "kids area" -- at Grand Targhee, they have this cool area that is designed with kids in mind. 500 vertical feet, lots of groomers, a beginner terrain park, tree areas, just generally FUN to ski in. The lift was slow going (THIS is why DH whines about this area -- see above), but the runs were just right when I was getting tired at the end of the day, but really didn't want to go in yet, or at the beginning of the day, when I found I needed to work out the kinks after skiing all day the day before! (sunday, I was playing with demos, and didn't want to take them back at all much less early. Monday, I was paying for Sunday!)

Take advantage of that beginner area!!! We alternated some -- a long, challenging run or two, then some easier stuff. It will also help for getting used to different snow. We also found that there were a couple of in between lifts -- one about half the total elevation, and one somewhere between half and total. I bet you'll find that at Alta too.

OH! the hot tub when you go in! INcredible help with the muscles! And, the base layer under whatever you wear all evening too -- that helped keep my muscles loose for the next day...

Kano

snowgem

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great tips. Yep. got the SAC Camelbak! That site is dangerous! I have often gone with a waist pack with a bottle of water.

Like the Ginko idea.

Anyone take any bars or substances like "Goo" or electrolyte drinks in general for energy?

Am feeling the effects of getting older and not being in as good shape as when there over a decade ago! I am hoping to pace myself and accept lmitations, which I am not good at! :chillpill:

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was in Zermatt at new Year which is approx. 4000m at the highest point. I felt quite shaky despite having already spent a day at village level which is 2000m. I would say sugar, take choclate with you and stop for hot chocolate etc. as you can feel quite weak when you are that high up.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
You can create a watered down Gatorade or similar electrolyte drink in your Camelbak - about 5:1 ratio (be sure to rinse the bladder thoroughly afterward). I'm not much of an eater while skiing - if I do, my belly talks back for the rest of the day. But when I'm done.....look out :smile: Yogurt is about the only thing that doesn't cramp me out (yogurt bars??). Again, the water is the primary agent. Listen to your body, it will tell you exactly what's up.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good advice..

On top of all the preventative stuff, you need to pay attention to your symptoms. If you have a bad headache, nausea/vomiting,dizziness, lethargy, that doesn't go away with hydration, you might need to see a doctor. nlso, if you feel as if your lungs have fluid in them.

Also, the above symptoms occur when you are skiing, go back to the base lodge. Yep, the Everest theory. Go back down in altitude and rest. Pushing yourself can make matters a lot worse.

Altitidue sickness can happen to anyone and anytime. Even those of us that already live above sea level. You just really want to pay attention to your body and how you feel. Altitude sickness can turn into cerebral or pulmonary edema quickly.

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
All really great advice, although I'd watch my sugar intake...

Telluride is actually home to a new facility called the Institute of Altitude Medicine, headed by Dr. Peter Hackett, considered by many to the leading expert in this field. Telluride seemed like a natural fit for him because while the town of Telluride is (only) at 8,750, there are many people who live or stay here (myself included) at altitudes in excess of 10K feet. (And the summit of our ski area is at 12K feet.)

While I've not seen anything published from the Institute yet, I do know that my doctor (all the doctors in the Med Center actually) have been working with him, because altitude sickness is a major problem here for tourists, and sometimes for new or returning locals.

My doctor will tell you that while water is good, anything that can replace your electrolytes, e.g., Gatorade, is far better. And (as already pointed out, but worth repeating) do NOT drink alcohol for the first couple of days. SkiNurse's advice if you do get sick is really important. I've seen a number of people who come to altitude and overdo it, and then end up getting really sick. Try not to push it in the first couple of days. If you're winded stop doing what your doing, and drink something like Gatorade.

Also, in a number of stores in Telluride they sell oxygen shots. Not sure if you'll find those in Alta, but you can order them online before you go. (We also have an oxygen bar which is popular.)

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are two issues here, right? One is adjusting to altitude, and the other is preventing AMS.

Re: preventing AMS, along with the hydration tips, also limit consuming things that will dehydrate you (products with caffeine, like coffee, Excedrin). I've also heard that eating smaller/lighter meals helps. Your fitness level has little to do with whether you'll get altitude sickness; the rudimentary science behind it is that your body recognizes the decrease in oxygen, but not the cause. So, it starts by kicking into primal mode, thinking that you've been poisoned, and attempting to expel the "poison" from your body. Yum! Anyway, headache is one of the first signs; don't ignore it. :smile:

But, if the issue is fitness in dealing with the longer and steeper runs, just take your time.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Number one thing: Don't forget to breath!
Laugh if you will, but we all tend to forget to breath and really expand our lungs when we are active. I know I find myself doing it.(or not, as it were)

When I was in Colorado last spring, I consciously stopped and breathed deep before a run and got a rythm of breathing before beginning a run. It really helped.

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You asked about Gu-type things...

My diet doesn't include that sort of "sugar shot" but I do take snacks. If it's something in "bar" form, I cut it into bite sized pieces and ziploc bag it. FOOD FREEZES IN MY POCKETS, and biting a chunk off a frozen bar is not easy! There you are, riding the lift, trying to hold on to everything, AND trying to rip a hunk off whatever, all without losing any of it (or falling off the chair). Cutting up the bars occurred ot me this past weekend, and I don't have a clue why it didn't come to me years ago!

Kano

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Check out this thread from epic. It's an explanation and q and a on altitude sickness from a skier/doctor at the Colorado Center for Altitude Medicine and Physiology.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I went to Abasin last year I got some advice to buy an herbal product called "Altitude Adjustment"
I didn't need it, but I'm glad to know about it, just in case it becomes necessary at some point.

snowgem

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are some great suggestions:thumbsup: . I have been in high altitudes for skiing when younger (under 60!), and, long ago, in my youth (under 30!), for climbing various mountains. The only difficulties I ever had were lethargy and huffing and puffing, and I had totally forgotten about the real problems with altitude that can surface (which I saw others experience). I'll take some time before our trip and stock up on some of the items suggested (also in the other thread asking what people eat/drink while skiing). Going to be difficult to give up that wine with dinner, tho!:nono:

Am doing my aerobics, which will hopefully help that lung-power.

marzNC

Angel Diva
bump

This is a good thread from 2008 with tips about dealing with high altitude on a ski trip from the flatlands. Factoring in a day or two to adjust can be helpful when planning where to sleep and when to start skiing hard.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga