• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

confused about technique

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lessons are always beneficial; I usually come away with something new to help my skiing. However, I am stradling a hurdle---and it truly looks like it in video. . . pretty ugly---with two conflicting ideas from instructors. My legs are too far apart when I ski. I've been told to keep them hip-width apart, but then have also heard that I should keep them very close. At this point I am not progressing as well as I want to. I see both techniques on the slopes. Is there a happy medium? I'm about a level 5/6, ski parallel most of the time, but seem to favor one side over the other, and am getting discouraged even though I'm having fun. Anyone else have this problem?

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hip width is the current training style from the US Ski Team and is what we train kids in our USSA ski club. The closer technique is from yesteryear but it may be good for you to think closer to make the adjustment which will likely bring you more in line to the hip width apart.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Stance width can vary based on conditions. If you are skiing in variable conditions, limited visibility,ice, crud etc. A wider stance will be of benefit to you. The wider stance will keep both your skis flatter on surfaces that you don't want alot of edge on as well as give you quicker mobility to shift your weight in cases of transitioning between multiple types of snowpack or even for that surprise encountered in flat light or limited visibility.
A narrower stance is beneficial in bumps ( unless they are really icy, then the additional edge will cause your tails to skid and make more work for you ) and carvable, predictable snow like on groomed runs etc. A tighter stance sets you more on edge and enables you to move quicker from edge to edge.
There really isn't a right stance for everything, it's good to practice both ways and have the ability to move between as conditions change. As you are learning your stance will be a little wider for balance and as you spend more time on skis and practice the narrower stance will come to you. You might ask your instructor for some drill reccomendations that you can practice to dial in the narrower stance.

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
Having a stronger turning side could also be an indication of a stance correction. Something that could be looked at by a bootfitter. If you stand irregularly with barefeet - more weight on one foot, knees out of alignment naturally, etc., etc....then it will remain that way once your feet are in ski boots & on skis as well - thus making you turn better one way or another.

I couldn't believe how whacked out my stance was & the amazing difference the bootfitter made.

But the old school skinny parallel stance is just that - old school. Opens you up to more injuries. The "athletic stance" is the new school method. A more aggressive & wider stance...

Jilly

Staff member
The CSIA technique is similar. Except we say shoulder width apart. And the distance is dependant on terrain like Skigirl27 is saying. Bumps and powder, you better have the feet close together. One drill that has been used on people with feet too close is to place a bungee cord just below the knees, above the boots. Keep the cord tight while skiing, by keeping the feet apart. I bought free ride pants last year with pit zips in the inner part of the leg. The zippers have tags hanging off them so you can unzip without taking off the gloves. Those things drive me nuts if they are too close. They tangle etc. So I keep my feet part.
All in all its what feels good to you. How far apart are your feet if you were in the "ready" position in tennis?? Shoulder width?

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually had a few conversations about just this last week. I spoke to two different, expert-level skiers that had been skiing for a long time (10+ years) and both said that they were trying to move away from the always-feet-together school of thought, and that being able to ski with their feet in different degrees of closeness allowed them to ski more terrain better. They both seemed to think that versatility and having a wide skillset to choose from made one a better skiier than just being able to do one set technique very very well.

K.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been told to keep them hip-width apart, but then have also heard that I should keep them very close. ?

Sometimes non-technical advice helps too. Hip width apart is a good neutral position for most terrain you will encounter. Keeping your feet together applies, as far as I know, only to skiing bumps. The best way to remember this is to remember the difference between competetive mogul skiers whom wear white pants and those who wear dark patches on their knees. Part of the scoring is based on efficiency and form, hence efficiency in bumps reguires a tighter stance. Those skiers whom have trouble keeping their knees together wear white pants so the judges can't see the snow between their legs should they seperate them, and those whom are very good at keeping their knees together, wear dark patches to emphasize the fact. It's highly probable that you were skiing bumps when told to keep your feet very close. There are a multitude of technical reasons for this, but easier demonstrater by your instructor on snow.

sleddog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Your stance width should be functional. For most that will be hip width apart. If your skis are too close together you block the ability to get your skis on edge. If they're too far apart then it's difficult to get the skis on an equal edge angle - i.e. skis are cutting two different radii. You want to have a stance that allows you to equally edge both skis - and most people who are learning to ski the shaped skis need to get a more active inside ski. Try marching in place a few times, stop, and look at your stance. That is going to be the best width for you under most conditions.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good advice already given so far on stance width, so I won't go there.

but seem to favor one side over the other, and am getting discouraged even though I'm having fun. Anyone else have this problem?
This is normal for every skier. Just as we are right or left handed, we are also right or left sided and right or left footed. EVERYONE has a strong and a weak side. The better skiers have merely overcome the deficiencies of their weak side.

Practice turning and stopping on your weak side lots and lots.....garlands and hockey stops are perfect for developing coordination and balance. In Yoga you're taught to hold each position on the weak side (especially the balance poses) twice as long or do it twice as many time to help create balance between the sides (if you're not yet doing Yoga, you should be :wink: )

pleen

Certified Ski Diva
I'm with the group in saying that skinny stance is old skool. Imagine if someone is trying to push you over and you resisting, and that is the correct width your legs should be apart.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga