• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Compression Tights: Stoko vs Bracelayer

MissySki

Angel Diva
I happened to ride a long slow lift with an older gentleman at Sunday River last Friday who absolutely raved about his Stoko tights in a lot of detail. I’m not even sure how exactly it came up, but he started listing all of his previous knee ailments and said he likely wouldn’t be able to ski currently without either his Stoko tights or a knee replacement. I meant to come here and mention it because he was just so enthusiastic about them, it was certainly a great testament to them. He did say they are extremely difficult to get into, but worth the effort and that they are very comfortable once you have them on. He especially loved that he could dial in the support on the side with his bad knee and could adjust the other side differently.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
If anyone is interested in giving these a try, I just posted a pair of the alpine boot in size XL in the gear swap. Unfortunately, they are too snug for me and I need the next size up to accommodate my post-baby, post-pandemic body.

Verve

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Which of these options would work paired with a hinged brace? I hope to return to skis this season after ACL/LCL/meniscus surgery, and I have a Breggs hinged brace I got through my surgeon/insurance, but reading this thread, I like the idea of support tights to add another layer of stability.
My hinged brace really wore the inside of my goretex bibs. If I could got back, I’d buy a less expensive pair of ski pants to wear with it or maybe find a way to reinforce the spot on the knee where the hinge screw rubbed. Yay for getting back out there!! I really didn’t mind skiing with the brace but saw it attacked my favorite waterproof pants :smile:

blueskysunnyday

Angel Diva
I have a bracelayer (3/4 length) and it gave me hives in the tighter areas (most significantly at the waist band but in other areas as well). If you sometimes get hives along your bra lines, etc., I would say this will definitely do it as well. Or maybe I’m the only person this happens to…undies can do it too. Not sure if it elastic/lycra or the pressure that does it.

newbieM

Angel Diva
I have a bracelayer (3/4 length) and it gave me hives in the tighter areas (most significantly at the waist band but in other areas as well). If you sometimes get hives along your bra lines, etc., I would say this will definitely do it as well. Or maybe I’m the only person this happens to…undies can do it too. Not sure if it elastic/lycra or the pressure that does it.
The weird sticky stuff in the waistband irritates my skin so I fold it over. This weekend I am going to do surgery on it and open the calf stitch since me calves are too big

tartegnin

Certified Ski Diva
Can anyone comment on sizing for Bracelayer? I am a solid 16 in clothes and that seems outside their largest women’s size

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Can anyone comment on sizing for Bracelayer? I am a solid 16 in clothes and that seems outside their largest women’s size
I don’t really like them. I have xl, I find they slip down…but everything slips on me. I wear a 12 or even a 14 in jeans. I think these are a bit big. I hope that helps. I think they will fit you in xl, but again…personal preference on fit/feel. Now that I went back to the website sizing, I should be in a smaller size. Woops

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Bracelayer KS1 (also comes in boot length) has a different style waist band with a high waist and a drawstring, and side pockets.

tartegnin

Certified Ski Diva
The Bracelayer KS1 (also comes in boot length) has a different style waist band with a high waist and a drawstring, and side pockets.
Thanks! I’ll look at that - right knee cd def use some extra support on the slopes

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
I am an 18-20 in pants and have the XXL bracelayer (the alpine one?) They are tight and I have to really follow the instructions for putting them on -- definitly not just hopping into them! But they are the kind of tight they are supposed to be, IMO.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just ordered another pair of bracelayer (alpine KX2) I did order a size up- I have the CWX that I did their size chart, they are suffocating tight, so I went with 1 size up in the bracelayer- they are easy to put on, fit nicely-not as tight as CWX, they are very warm, so far my old knees are happy, although, on a warmer day my legs did sweat in the neoprene area. I probably could have gone 1 size less but I don't feel like struggling to get in them nor being so tight like the CWX. After being unable to walk for months I'm still getting rid of the flab I put on- depression eating while not being able to ski nor walk for months was bad. I'm now heading back down in weight and sizes just wish the flab would come off as quickly as it came on!!

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I’m a 16 in pants and have the XXL in the drawstring style since the regular waistband was sold out. I was right on the size guide and I couldn’t get the XL size pulled up my calves, let alone up to my waist. I have to work the XXL but they go on and felt fine under the brace. They say washing will soften the neoprene and make them a little looser. They are a tight fit, really not designed for someone with large calves and thighs so they will likely slid down during the day, but such is life for just about any tights I own.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I am normally a M in most pants including other base layers like CW-X. I had to size up to a L in Bracelayer.

newbieM

Angel Diva
I’m a 16 in pants and have the XXL in the drawstring style since the regular waistband was sold out. I was right on the size guide and I couldn’t get the XL size pulled up my calves, let alone up to my waist. I have to work the XXL but they go on and felt fine under the brace. They say washing will soften the neoprene and make them a little looser. They are a tight fit, really not designed for someone with large calves and thighs so they will likely slid down during the day, but such is life for just about any tights I own.
It was suffocating my calves so I cut a slit into the bottom elastic fabric before it went through the seam, I then folded it over so it hits right under my knee. That helped significantly. I’m sure I’m going to have to be more careful washing it so that it doesn’t fray

mickey823

Diva in Training
Have you tried compression tights? I had a meniscus surgery last spring and I'm about to start my ski season and I'm thinking about support tights for my knee.

Someone recommended Stoko and then I saw Bracelayers. Apprently very different type of support and very different prices.

Should I just go ahead and splurge on the Stoko or cheap out and try the Bracelayer. Would love to hear your experiences with compression tights after knee issues.
I'm not a medical professional, but if you haven't already asked your provider about this, I recommend doing so before you commit! When I had meniscus issues, my doctor and PT both discharged me from bracing and external support because it can compress the meniscus and aggravate it (as opposed to having something like ligament issues, causing instability, so the support is helpful and good).

Like I said, I'm no doctor and I'm sure every injury and person is different. But it might be worth asking if you haven't already!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna