• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Compression Tights: Stoko vs Bracelayer

Powderqueen

Certified Ski Diva
Have you tried compression tights? I had a meniscus surgery last spring and I'm about to start my ski season and I'm thinking about support tights for my knee.

Someone recommended Stoko and then I saw Bracelayers. Apprently very different type of support and very different prices.

Should I just go ahead and splurge on the Stoko or cheap out and try the Bracelayer. Would love to hear your experiences with compression tights after knee issues.

Reactions: AJM

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have been skiing in CWX compression tights, . they are super tight if sized properly- they get easier to put on after using several times, first time is like putting doll clothes on, lol. they definitely helped w/my old joints. I had a TPF and severe sprain of my entire right leg dec 2023- this year I went for the Bracelayer. they don't seem as tight as CWX, wondering if I should have sized down. I got the KX2 model. they have very nice fleece on inside- they should be warm. I hope to ski in the next few days in them, I'll report back if I noticed a difference from CWX and Bracelayer. I also checked out the Stoko. $$$$ and seemed more complicated with the metal cables and adjustment in the waist band.. last thing I need is to be fussing with that and if the button to adjust is on my waist what will it feel like skiing, siiting.. etc. Today I just saw a 100$ off on fake book Stoko page. If you get Stoko I'll be watching to hear what you think.. :-)

IceHeeler

Angel Diva
It depends what level of support you're looking for. Compression tights like CWX and Bracelayer work well, especially in combination with KT tape. Last winter, after a TPF, I started using Stoko. I would say Stoko is for use when you would otherwise wear a medical brace. They give a very similar support as a true medical brace without worrying about the brace sliding around. I find I can ski longer while wearing Stoko than without them, but they are extremely expensive. I have a pair of the capris (K1 Tempo) because I don't like anything other than my ski sock in my boot. Are they worth it? For me, they are worth purchasing a single pair.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I purchased Stoko and just couldn't get comfortable with all the adjustments.

I currently use Bracelayer with an ACL brace. It's probably overkill but I'm extra cautious. Maybe in another year I will lose the brace but I will always keep the Bracelayer.

On another note, I was having some pain in my right hip and used the Bracelayer for support. It seemed to help.

BTW Bracelayer is currently having a 35% off sale.

beane

Certified Ski Diva
It depends what level of support you're looking for. Compression tights like CWX and Bracelayer work well, especially in combination with KT tape. Last winter, after a TPF, I started using Stoko. I would say Stoko is for use when you would otherwise wear a medical brace. They give a very similar support as a true medical brace without worrying about the brace sliding around. I find I can ski longer while wearing Stoko than without them, but they are extremely expensive. I have a pair of the capris (K1 Tempo) because I don't like anything other than my ski sock in my boot. Are they worth it? For me, they are worth purchasing a single pair.
How warm are the k1 tempo? I'd like to try these but agree about not wanting a full length pant in my boot. thanks!

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just used a simple 3/4 length compression tight (2XU - Australian brand I think) and found them great when used in conjunction with a neoprene knee brace.

VTsnowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have some ¾ bracelayers (the insulated ones) that I really like and use regularly. They help stabilize my arthritic knee. The compression helps my knee last longer on the mountain. Last spring I bought an uninsulated pair to use in warmer conditions. Looking forward to trying them out now that I remember that I have them! Have only been able to ski one day so far this season!

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
This thread inspired me to send my husband a link to a Bracelayer baselayer with a strong hint that I would like one for Christmas! LOL. My right knee has been sad ever since going rock climbing with a friend a few weeks ago and taking a bad hop off the bouldering wall, so I figure a little extra support wouldn't hurt during ski season.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First 2 days out this year I've been skiing in the bracelayers.. I like them, they do help me. They bunch a bit behind my knee, I have the full length so I pulled up from the bottom and rolled the little bit extra under my knee that added extra compression where I need it. I didn't notice the bunching skiing at all. After not skiing since 12/21/22 I am impressed. They are way easier to get on and off than CWX- and warm- I have KX2. They definitely give support and I do think helped my thigh muscles recover faster, 2 days skiing and the thigh burn is gone today :-) My knees are very happy- especially the injured one. My old knees (both have issues) last years TPF, sprain of LCL, Lateral meniscus added to my knees talking to me if I get too aggressive but with the bracelayer I haven't had any pain so I am really happy. Looking forward to getting in at least my age in days skiing and hoping for triple digits :-)

I will do a comparison w/my CWX when I get back on snow, sadly will be next week seems mother nature wants to cry liquid snow on all our nice man made and natural snow, she needs the memo- we want solid snow mother nature!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I just saw an ad for a new Bracelayer type product - Imbrace. Posting it here just for information as I know nothing about it. Has anyone tried these?

IceHeeler

Angel Diva
How warm are the k1 tempo? I'd like to try these but agree about not wanting a full length pant in my boot. thanks!
Apologies for the delay. I find them to be similar to any base layer in regards to warmth. I wear them both in summer and winter. They are not as warm as a fleece layer.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I wear CWX based on divas’ commentary and I LOVE them so much that I stalk the website for sales. :smile:

MaryVA

Certified Ski Diva
Which of these options would work paired with a hinged brace? I hope to return to skis this season after ACL/LCL/meniscus surgery, and I have a Breggs hinged brace I got through my surgeon/insurance, but reading this thread, I like the idea of support tights to add another layer of stability.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Which of these options would work paired with a hinged brace? I hope to return to skis this season after ACL/LCL/meniscus surgery, and I have a Breggs hinged brace I got through my surgeon/insurance, but reading this thread, I like the idea of support tights to add another layer of stability.
I wear my Bracelayer under a hinged brace.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hope you'll post a follow up once you get them. I'm also planning to get back this season after acl reconstruction. I have a script for a brace, but I still need to follow up to find out how much it will cost and if my insurance will cover it (which I don't think it will after reading through the long pdf on coverage.) I know I should have called the company my ortho gave me the script for by now, but I've been trying to work on both losing a few of the post injury lbs and building up muscle in that leg first.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna