• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Compression socks and ski boots

HMSCster

Certified Ski Diva
My new Solomon boots were a disaster last season. I've had the toes heated, and since work done to alleviate pressure across the foot that I haven't gotten to really test this session. In the hopes of not needing to buy new boots or spend too much time with boot fitters as I am the only skiing adult and my kids aren't ready to be on their own on the mountain, here was going to be my plan of getting a jump on the problem.
1) wear boots around house to break them in a bit more
2) try compression socks
3) last resort is taking a day off ahead of our Xmas trip and try to go local for an afternoon to get fitted.

So, two questions.... Anyone ski with compression socks that could help me understand what that's like? I have no experience with compression wear unless you count spanks...
And are there other ways I could since this problem?

Thanks all!

Happy skiing!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sorry the new boots didn't work out as you hoped.

When the toe box was heated, did they use any sort of covering over the toes to keep the area slightly bigger? I've had Intuition liners re-molded without toe caps by someone who didn't know enough. Actually two guys, one in Virginia (shop is gone) and one out west. I had moved the liners from the previous pair of boots because I knew Intuition liners can be re-molded a few times and these liners hadn't been used that much before I had gotten new boots for other reasons. After the next trip to the shop out west with a different boot fitter, he did a complete re-mold of both boots with proper toe caps. Problem solved!

What are you using for the footbed? Stock liner that came with the boot, off-the-shelf footbed such as SuperFeet, or custom heat-molded? Evo has a general introduction to footbeds.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have tried compression socks but the ones I have are actually a little thick. For a really tight boot maybe try knee high pantyhose socks to start? It has worked for me when I just needed a little extra space with new liners.

HMSCster

Certified Ski Diva
Well ... I think my feet got fatter! I just put on my left boot and the buckle won't buckle!!! Maybe it's new boot time

HMSCster

Certified Ski Diva
Sorry the new boots didn't work out as you hoped.

When the toe box was heated, did they use any sort of covering over the toes to keep the area slightly bigger? I've had Intuition liners re-molded without toe caps by someone who didn't know enough. Actually two guys, one in Virginia (shop is gone) and one out west. I had moved the liners from the previous pair of boots because I knew Intuition liners can be re-molded a few times and these liners hadn't been used that much before I had gotten new boots for other reasons. After the next trip to the shop out west with a different boot fitter, he did a complete re-mold of both boots with proper toe caps. Problem solved!

What are you using for the footbed? Stock liner that came with the boot, off-the-shelf footbed such as SuperFeet, or custom heat-molded? Evo has a general introduction to footbeds.

I don't know the brand. They were molded though. Honestly, I think I just bought the wrong size. So, it may be worth starting over

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That is such a PITA, @HMSCster . I hope you can get it sorted out. It sounds like your issue has diverged from the original compression socks inquiry, but FYI, I wear very thin ski socks that have compression. They aren't marketed as "compression" but that is the effect they have. I regularly wear a compression base layer w/added support around the knees. They really do help decrease the fatigue and I like the feel of a bit of stability.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use Bracelayer. I'm sure if you do a search on this site for compression tights you are sure to come up with good threads and recommendations.

HMSCster

Certified Ski Diva
That is such a PITA, @HMSCster . I hope you can get it sorted out. It sounds like your issue has diverged from the original compression socks inquiry, but FYI, I wear very thin ski socks that have compression. They aren't marketed as "compression" but that is the effect they have. I regularly wear a compression base layer w/added support around the knees. They really do help decrease the fatigue and I like the feel of a bit of stability.
Yep, that was a bit of a last resort. But I have no idea how I got fitted this way in the first place. Now, any sugge
Had you kept the boots buckled up in the off season? If not, try buckling them up for a few days and try again. If you don't already, it helps to always keep them buckled up whether they are on your foot or not..
Thanks for the tip! Yes, they were buckled. :(

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My new Solomon boots were a disaster last season. I've had the toes heated, and since work done to alleviate pressure across the foot that I haven't gotten to really test this session..... Anyone ski with compression socks that could help me understand what that's like? I have no experience with compression wear unless you count spanks...
And are there other ways I could since this problem? I think my feet got fatter! I just put on my left boot and the buckle won't buckle!!!

@HMSCster I have some questions for you - for clarification.
---After you bought the boots, how many times did you ski with them before taking them back to get them altered?
---What was the problem that made you seek bootfitter intervention? Was it discomfort from the boots fitting so tightly, or was it real pain in certain spots? If spots hurt, where were those spots?
---You "had the toes heated." Does this mean the bootfitter stretched the toe box plastic outward to make more room for your toes? Or do you mean something else by "heated," maybe having to do with keeping toes warm?
---Are you hoping compression socks will change the shape of your toes to make them shorter or narrower by squeezing them so that they will fit into the tight toe box with no pressure or with no pain? Or are you hoping the compression socks will do something else, maybe having to do with circulation which relates to toes being too cold?
---You had "work done to alleviate pressure across the foot." Was this pressure towards the middle of the foot rather than down at the toe box? Was this pressure pushing down on the top of the foot, or was it pushing inward along the sides of the foot?
---It sounds like you have tried to put one boot on but could not get the buckle buckled. How about the other boot? Does it fit any better than that one? Does each of your boot's buckles rotate around a rod connected to the buckle, so that the rotating helps the buckle make a tighter or looser fit at that spot? If the buckles rotate, you might be able to make that ornery buckle behave better and reach far enough to clamp properly.
---A related question ... Before the work was done, did you ski these boots? How many times? How did that go? What particular problems did you notice?.
---And after the work was done, did you ski with them again to see if the bootfitter's work made any good changes? If yes, what improvement did you notice?
---Did you remove the liners at the end of your last skiing session? If yes, did you have trouble getting them back in the shells? Or did someone else remove the liners and put them back in?

I'm asking because I think your answers may help people pinpoint what's going on. Ski boots are made to be custom altered to match your foot's anatomy. The plastic shell can be punched out or cavities can be ground of to make room for bulging boney parts of the foot. Some skiers choose to get boots that are quite "snug," meaning far more tight than our regular shoes. Then they get the bootfitter to alter things to make room for the too-tight spots. The result can be a very comfortable boot that actually helps you ski with more control.

I'm wondering if this is what you are dealing with. You could have been given a "performance fit" boot, rather than a boot that offers you a "comfort fit." The first makes it easier to ski well but requires bootfitter alterations for most people. The second kind of fit allows a bit of wobble between the foot and the boot, which means a wobble between the foot and the ski. So the skier can end up with wobbly skis. Most skiers assume their misbehaving skis are due to their lack of ability, but often it's the boots that aren't snug enough.

Last edited:

HMSCster

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for the great questions, a little info about me and then an attempt to answer your questions.
My last pair of boots were from when I was racing (nothing fancy just rec stuff in college) 20+years ago. They were an old pair of Technica Explosives. I have had experience with race boots from Dalbelo to Lange. Last year I demoed skis and fell in love with Volkl Kenja 88s, the last pair of skis I bought before that werw a pair of straight skis - 198 Lacoix Quadras. So... I would rate myself as an expert skier that's a little rusty. I've just never really followed the equipment and relied on the boot fitter at the ski shop to help direct me. When I started the journey last year I thought I would try a low volume boot as I thought I read it can help keep your heel in the pocket and I have always had a lot of lift there - skinny ankles and heels I guess. It didn't help that I didn't do my due diligence to try multiple shops and different boots. Surprisingly, I wanted a flex of 90+ and it was shockingly hard for me to find locally. Everywhere was sold out or didn't carry it. Which is how I landed in the Solomon S/Pro alpha. ok, so back to your very good questions...

@HMSCster I have some questions for you - for clarification.
---After you bought the boots, how many times did you ski with them before taking them back to get them altered?
I needed them altered after one day of skiing. At the mountain, they did a minor adjustment to address a pressure point (ground out a bit). But didn't want to do more because they were concerned my foot might be swollen from the pain the previous day. The third day, I skied with so much pain that I had to stop after lunch. Yes, these were three days in a row. I only got one more day on the snow about 3 weeks later - again there was pain.
---What was the problem that made you seek bootfitter intervention? Was it discomfort from the boots fitting so tightly, or was it real pain in certain spots? If spots hurt, where were those spots?
It started as pressure points. The second day I felt my feet going numb and aching all the way into my calf. I had minor pressure in the toe box, that just seems to have gotten worse. A couple months ago I was reading about feet swelling do to various injuries and it wasn't until this week that I put 2 and 2 together about recurring toe injuries - likely undiagnosed turf toe in both feet.
---You "had the toes heated." Does this mean the bootfitter stretched the toe box plastic outward to make more room for your toes? Or do you mean something else by "heated," maybe having to do with keeping toes warm?
The boots were heated and I was given a little half sock to protect my toes from the heat. I was told to slightly wiggle my toes in the boot and that would mimic a break in period of a few days for the boots. W
---Are you hoping compression socks will change the shape of your toes to make them shorter or narrower by squeezing them so that they will fit into the tight toe box with no pressure or with no pain? Or are you hoping the compression socks will do something else, maybe having to do with circulation which relates to toes being too cold?
My feet are always cold - even in summer. I thought compression socks might reduce the amount of fabric int he boot with my foot and keep the blood flowing to prevent swelling which I assumed might also be part of the issue with the boot. Perhaps that was a really bad idea.
---You had "work done to alleviate pressure across the foot." Was this pressure towards the middle of the foot rather than down at the toe box? Was this pressure pushing down on the top of the foot, or was it pushing inward along the sides of the foot?
The first boot fitter did a light grind to ease a pressure point at my big toe and little toe. The second gave me more space in that area too, but I don't recall what he did.
---It sounds like you have tried to put one boot on but could not get the buckle buckled. How about the other boot? Does it fit any better than that one? Does each of your boot's buckles rotate around a rod connected to the buckle, so that the rotating helps the buckle make a tighter or looser fit at that spot? If the buckles rotate, you might be able to make that ornery buckle behave better and reach far enough to clamp properly.
The plastic part that covers the foot was spread so far that the two pieces didn't overlap. I loosened the buckle (twisting on the rod) to its lowest setting (the second one) and it did close. But it was SOOOO tight that after 10 min I just wanted to throw the boot off. It felt like my foot was being squeezed - hard - and was starting to get numb again. My feet were warm going into the boots, which is a rare thing for me since my feet are often very cold, even in summer.
---A related question ... Before the work was done, did you ski these boots? How many times? How did that go? What particular problems did you notice?.
I did not ski them before the first heating. They felt tight, but I assumed it was normal for a low volume boot as this was my first experience with that. Also, I know it sounds terrible, but I wonder if somehow when I bought them I walked out with the wrong size... Honestly, there was a lot happening in my life at the time health-wise that there is a good chance I was not making sound decisions.
---And after the work was done, did you ski with them again to see if the bootfitter's work made any good changes? If yes, what improvement did you notice?
I live in MD and barely got 4 days on snow last year. Every day there was pain and every day I had my kids with me - their dad doesn't ski and they are not ready to go on lifts on their own yet.
---Did you remove the liners at the end of your last skiing session? If yes, did you have trouble getting them back in the shells? Or did someone else remove the liners and put them back in?
Only time the liners were removed were at the boot fitters. Normally I store my boots with the loosest possible buckles buckled and put them on the shelf in the utility room.
I'm asking because I think your answers may help people pinpoint what's going on. Ski boots are made to be custom altered to match your foot's anatomy. The plastic shell can be punched out or cavities can be ground of to make room for bulging boney parts of the foot. Some skiers choose to get boots that are quite "snug," meaning far more tight than our regular shoes. Then they get the bootfitter to alter things to make room for the too-tight spots. The result can be a very comfortable boot that actually helps you ski with more control
I'm wondering if this is what you are dealing with. You could have been given a "performance fit" boot, rather than a boot that offers you a "comfort fit." The first makes it easier to ski well but requires bootfitter alterations for most people. The second kind of fit allows a bit of wobble between the foot and the boot, which means a wobble between the foot and the ski. So the skier can end up with wobbly skis. Most skiers assume their misbehaving skis are due to their lack of ability, but often it's the boots that aren't snug enough.

After thinking this through, I think there are a few areas where I went wrong. 1) I have had a semi-chronic issue with pain in my bog toes. Everything I have read indicates turf toe, but of course I have been too busy/lazy to go to the doctor. 2) I should have tried on more boots and not settled. We were getting ready to go on our first big family ski trip with the kids and friends that I kind of got obsessed about getting my own gear. This led to bad choices. Thanks anxiety! 3) I should have just rented boots until I could take a ski day to myself to try things on at my local mountain and get fitted there.

With all of that in mind, @liquidfeet, is there more you feel I could do now? Or do you think I am a lost cause? Hopefully, that came across as sincere, as it is meant to be. Just as I do appreciate your time and willingness to help me and others sort through boot fitting. Frankly, I find this way harder than so many things about this sport.

HMSCster

Certified Ski Diva
Omg! I put them on without socks on a lark... One foot is fine now .... The other still sucks. Ok. I'm just going to wear them around the house and gradually increase the thickness of my socks and see what happens. Probably, a dumb idea, but why not, right?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I live in MD and barely got 4 days on snow last year. Every day there was pain and every day I had my kids with me - their dad doesn't ski and they are not ready to go on lifts on their own yet.
Frankly, I find this way harder than so many things about this sport.
Yep, getting the first pair of good boots that really work is the hardest aspect when starting to think that skiing more regularly can happen in the near future. I went through that as a parent living in central NC after confirming that my daughter was going to be a skier. Also figured out when she was having fun at Massanutten ski school at age 4 that my husband (married 10 years by then) would be a non-skier, in spite of having been on skis as a young adult and being athletic. What made the difference a few years later was learning there was an experienced boot fitter within an hour of my house. The first pair of boots I bought in the 1990s when skiing a bit as a working adult came from another shop close by . . . that I won't go back to for assorted reasons. I learned about boot fitting from online ski forums.

Omg! I put them on without socks on a lark... One foot is fine now .... The other still sucks. Ok. I'm just going to wear them around the house and gradually increase the thickness of my socks and see what happens. Probably, a dumb idea, but why not, right?
With less than a week of use, does seem worth giving it a bit more time.

A story . . . When I replaced the packed-out stock liners in my current boots with Intuition liners only used a couple seasons from the previous boots, it took 4 tries to get the Intuition liners re-molded properly. I'd talked with a very experienced boot fitter out west about the idea. He used Intuition liners himself, and sold both Intuition and Zipfits. Did two efforts by a boot fitter in VA (shop closed since then) and two efforts at Taos Boot Doctors. After the first re-mold, I thought it was only one spot in only one boot. Note that Taos Boot Doctors is considered one of the best in the business. They have several very experienced boot fitters. However, the first one who worked with me didn't know enough about Intuition liners or just wanted to take the easy way that would takes less time. The next season I worked with a man who listened better and did a complete re-molding, complete with proper plastic toe caps . . . problem solved.

The best boot fitters in the DC/NoVA area are at Pro-Fit and Ski Center LTD based on what I've read on TSD and DCSki over the past 15 years.

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
It sounds like compression socks may be too thick until you get them broken in a it more, but try Ortovox compression ski socks. They are nice and thin and have compression! They are currently my fave ski socks.

Jilly

Staff member
Solomon S/Pro Alpha 90 flex. nice boots. Intersted???? :smile:
No. Because that's my boot, except 110 or 120 flex.

I'm not sure I follow - you decided on the Solly or a boot fitter, not a seller, decided this should be the boot?
A proper boot fitter will look at your foot and lower leg, to decide what boot is best for you.

HMSCster

Certified Ski Diva
No. Because that's my boot, except 110 or 120 flex.

I'm not sure I follow - you decided on the Solly or a boot fitter, not a seller, decided this should be the boot?
A proper boot fitter will look at your foot and lower leg, to decide what boot is best for you.
Good taste! The boot fitter suggested them.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
--When the toe box was heated, did they use any sort of covering over the toes to keep the area slightly bigger? I've had Intuition liners re-molded without toe caps by someone who didn't know enough. ----a different boot fitter did a complete re-mold of both boots with proper toe caps. Problem solved!

What are you using for the footbed? Stock liner that came with the boot, off-the-shelf footbed such as SuperFeet, or custom heat-molded?
--The boots were heated and I was given a little half sock to protect my toes from the heat. I was told to slightly wiggle my toes in the boot....
@HMSCster, this business about the toe box heating may be a red flag. Was the stock liner in place when this heating was done? Was it removed and your foot was just in the shell? I'm not sure what happened, but it sounds like the fitter did not stretch the toe box properly to make room for your toes. To avoid buying a new boot, you could go to another bootfitter to get a second person's expertise on whether they can be the right boot for you.

When you bought the boots, did you buy aftermarket or custom footbeds to use inside the liner to replace the flat footbeds that come with the boot? Proper footbeds can shorten your foot, leaving a bit of extra space in front of the toes. They do other things for your foot-boot interface as well. If you did not buy a replacement footbed, you might consider getting one when you go to a more informed and experienced bootfitter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga