• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Columbia Crystal Pass Pants

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I picked these up this fall to replace the old pants that were too big. Price was a big consideration for me -- buying a whole new ski wardrobe all at once is expensive!

List is $100, but I've seen them at about $70 all season. With winter actually underway, the big box places should be knocking down the prices so they can put out the summer stuff!

First thing to consider when buying pants is fit. I'm 5'4" tall, and pants are generally too long for me. Not a big deal in this situation, the boots keep them off the ground! I bought the size Large, which are not quite snug on my thighs, very comfortable on my hips, and had WAY too much room at the waistband. Like, I could pull 'em right off too much room at the waist!

Fortunately, they're made with an adjustable gizmo like my grandson's jeans with the buttonhole elastic, and belt loops. Since I needed to adjust the waist as far as I could, and this was bunchy, I got out my sewing machine and seam ripper. A couple of pleats in the back of the waistband took care of the bulk, and then I put the velcro strips back so I could adjust a bit more as needed. That took care of the possibility of them falling down at some inopportune moment!

In the past, I've had pants that didn't stay snapped when moving, so this was a concern for me. There are two snaps AND velcro at the fly, so they stay put admirably! I was going to get a belt to wear with them as insurance. Haven't gotten around to that yet, and don't think I'll bother -- why add unnecessary bulk!

I've skied in them twice now, in the 20-degree range and the 10-degree range. I have a pair of Hot Chilly's peachskins and another not-much-heavier layer of smooth stretchy stuff underneath, cuz I grew up in Minnesota, where layering in winter is a simple fact of life! The lining of the Crystal Pass pants is "fleecy" so anything under them needs to be smooth and kind of slippery, so they don't cling to each other.

This made a VERY comfortable combination!

There's the taffeta-like powder gizmos at the ankles, which velcro and snap shut. There's a zipper on the outer pantleg for getting to the boot buckles if you need them, but it slides out of the way nicely.

Oh yes -- no suspenders, which I wanted this year, for potty breaks. (I prefer the lodge) I've always worn bibs, which mean taking everything off, and that's just plain annoying!

They're not very noisy -- which is a nice thing too!

IMO, for a "budget" pair of pants, they're pretty darn good stuff!

Kano

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga