• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Colorado hiking

Christy

Angel Diva
Hey CO hiking divas--what do think is the best/prettiest part of CO for hiking? We're going to a wedding in Boulder on Labor Day and might make a road trip of it. I was thinking of heading to Arches/Canyonlands (been many times) after but maybe we'll stop somewhere in CO to camp and hike too.

I've hiked quite a bit in Rocky Mt NP, a bit in Summit Co (the Buffalo Meadows trail for one), and in the Maroon Bells Wilderness. I've visited the SW corner/San Juan Mts a couple times and thought it was the prettiest part of the state but haven't hiked there. Thoughts?

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hanging Lakes near Glenwood Springs, Mount Quandary near Breckenridge, Mount Elbert, Leadville.

There are some nice hikes near Boulder in Eldorado Canyon State Park and the Mesa Trail.

Snowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Maroon Bells and the San Juans are spectacular. If you're looking to hit a 14'er while you're here, I'd recommend Huron. It's just south of Leadville and is in one of the prettiest valleys I've seen in Colorado. Plus it's one of the easier 14'ers with a really well maintained trail, which helps if you are not acclimated.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you're going to be in Boulder, you can head up to the Indian Peaks Wildnerness which, as everyone elses suggestions are, spectacular.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
If you're going to be in Boulder, you can head up to the Indian Peaks Wildnerness which, as everyone elses suggestions are, spectacular.

Yes! We spend/have spent a lot of time up there and there are some gorgeous hikes! I especially like South Arapahoe Peak and Pawnee Pass (but this one you have to do early in the day, because the lake closer to the trailhead gets VERY busy). And Mt. Audubon is a classic.

I will tempt you with photographs! (limited to what is in my Photobucket account at the moment):

Mt. Audubon:
IMG_5443.jpg

Parking area at Brainard Lake, Indian Peaks:
IMG_0697.jpg

On the way up South Arapahoe Peak:
IMG_3345.jpg

On the way to Pawnee Pass:
IMG_3125.jpg

Also, as 14ers go, I love Belford & Oxford. You can hike partway in and camp in the basin below the peaks, which is gorgeous and quiet (and the peaks around you block light pollution, making for spectacular star-watching).

Old, hilarious picture on Belford, after going up and over Belford, up Oxford, and back up Belford (the way the hike goes, so you get three 14ers in a day, although one is a *repeat*):
IMG_3892.jpg

Also, Electric Pass, near Aspen is another favorite. This is what it looks like after an October snow:
IMG_3908.jpg

Christy

Angel Diva
Thanks guys! It would be cool if we could hike near Boulder, so that especially is helpful. The state park looks really nice too, and maybe good if non-hiking Iowa relatives want to join. I don't really care about 14ers--everytime I see pictures of someone doing these hikes they look so stark and brown and not pretty at all.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks guys! It would be cool if we could hike near Boulder, so that especially is helpful. The state park looks really nice too, and maybe good if non-hiking Iowa relatives want to join. I don't really care about 14ers--everytime I see pictures of someone doing these hikes they look so stark and brown and not pretty at all.

You must be from the PNW. ;-) The views are spectacular from big mtns, can't be captured on a little camera, but I see what you're saying. We think trees are overrated. (j/k) You can/should go up to Rocky Mtn Natl Park and drive Trail Ridge Road. There are tons of pretty hikes, too, with trees and waterfalls and stuff. (Well, little CO waterfalls, anyway)

Christy

Angel Diva
I've visited RMNP a few times and done a number of hikes there, so it's time to explore new territory. I actually do think that trees are overrated! Having hiked in the PNW for 20+ years I think of forest as something you have to slog through for a few miles to get to the good stuff--meadows, flowers, icy peaks, views, etc. I do think hiking through aspen forests in CO is a treat, though, since it's so different than the dense evergreen forests we have.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
I don't really care about 14ers--everytime I see pictures of someone doing these hikes they look so stark and brown and not pretty at all.

Not true! :D

Depends on where and when you go, of course, but they can be gorgeous!

View from the top of Mt. Elbert-- I wish I had better than a point & shoot, because in addition to the greens and browns there were all sorts of pretty blue-grey shadows:
mtelbert.jpg

If you like *wetter* hiking, though, there are some good hikes in the Holy Cross wilderness. There is a basin up above the Missouri Lakes that gets the most gorgeous meadows and wildflowers!

This loop hike:
https://rockymountainscenery.com/holycross/missouripass.html

These pictures are too snowy for you to get a sense, but up around Treasure Vaukt Lake in the summer is just a riot of flowers.

More info:
https://www.denverpost.com/hiking/ci_4327056

Colorado

Certified Ski Diva
Chicago Lakes trail in the Mt Evan's Wilderness is pretty nice - did that one just a couple of weekends ago....there are two alpine lakes and you can also go up to summit lake. If you do this, you can then drive to the top of Mt Evans if some of the people you are with haven't ever been on top of a 14er.

Also, the Gore River Valley trail in Vail Valley is nice too; but lots of stream crossings.....so can be slippery (sprained my elbow when I went!).

I really like Bison Peak too! Near Tarryall Resevoir...https://www.summitpost.org/bison-peak/151572

Oh...and in Boulder....Royal Arch trail in Chautauqua Park right on Baseline Road is one of our go to hikes.....(the walk through the "prairie" before you get to the flatirons is a bit tedious though....but it's not long).

Have fun!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just hiked Mt. Audubon the other day and really thought it was spectacular. It can get a bit windy up top though, so bring some extra layers if you do that.

Christy

Angel Diva
This thread is from last year. We ended up having a great trip in the Arches/Canyonlands area of Utah after the CO wedding. Thanks anyway!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna