• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Club med?

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi! I think it's too late to plan for this season, but the idea of trying out a club med ski vacation keeps catching my eye (especially all these black friday deals I'm seeing!)
I love the idea of included childcare (and when dd is old enough, ski school/childcare) and especially for an international trip, the idea of not needing to figure out lodging, transportation/transfers, and meals is really appealing.

Some things that give me pause:
1) My husband and I are experienced skiers, will we find the ski groups and the terrain worth it? Do most people prioritize the skiing or are they doing all the other activities too? Will the cost be worth it if are mostly there to ski?

2) I'm a very social person who loves meeting others, while my husband in general prefers to do things just as a family or with close friends, is there a big emphasis on meeting and skiing with others?

3) Has anyone done a recent cost/benefit analysis vs. planning your own trip? Especially considering we aren't big drinkers or foodies?

Jilly

Staff member
DH and I went on a Club Med vacation a long time ago. So, I'm not going to say anything about how it operates now. We had a great trip and good skiing at Copper Mountain.

I don't think it's too late at all to plan a trip.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi! I think it's too late to plan for this season, but the idea of trying out a club med ski vacation keeps catching my eye (especially all these black friday deals I'm seeing!)
I love the idea of included childcare (and when dd is old enough, ski school/childcare) and especially for an international trip, the idea of not needing to figure out lodging, transportation/transfers, and meals is really appealing.

Some things that give me pause:
1) My husband and I are experienced skiers, will we find the ski groups and the terrain worth it? Do most people prioritize the skiing or are they doing all the other activities too? Will the cost be worth it if are mostly there to ski?

2) I'm a very social person who loves meeting others, while my husband in general prefers to do things just as a family or with close friends, is there a big emphasis on meeting and skiing with others?

3) Has anyone done a recent cost/benefit analysis vs. planning your own trip? Especially considering we aren't big drinkers or foodies?

Agree that it's not too late to plan a trip for later in the season, say March or early April 2024. Definitely a good time to consider options for the future. Meaning for 2025 or later. Can check flight and lodging options for 2024. Pays to have a plan by May at the latest for a multi-resort pass for the next season in order to decide how to cover lift access for skiing parents taking kid(s) for a ski trip.

Some thoughts about planning a ski trip with a little one, not necessarily Club Med . . .

In general, the advantage of an all-inclusive vacation like Club Med is that the planning process is much simpler. That's a plus for a ski club trip as well. Assuming an independent trip would include a similar level of lodging, the price is usually better overall. I keep eying the 70 Plus Ski Club annual trip to Europe for that reason.

However, for a planner it's quite possible to plan trips with the help of the Internet that are good value. There is more flexibility for when to fly and where to stay. The ideal family ski trip includes another adult (grandparent, aunt/uncle, godparent, good friend, another family with a kid the same age) who isn't that interested in skiing but is happy to babysit.

As for when to travel internationally with a little one, I did that with my daughter starting at age 3 (not for skiing). Did it with a few other families with girls ages 4-6 when she was 5. Again when she and the other girls were tweens. The kids enjoyed the first trip but I think the parents enjoyed the second trip more. I remember thinking there is a reason that Kindergarten starts around age 5 essentially in any country.

Soujan

Angel Diva
If there is the same sale for next year, I would probably do Club Med. I don't think I would be able to do much better in terms of price.

mustski

Angel Diva
I loved the Club Med in Val Thorens. We were scheduled to do a week in Italy followed by a week in France. Covid threw a spanner in the Italy plan and we spent 2 weeks at Val Thorens instead. No complaints! The room was amazing, the good was great, and I loved the all inclusive, luxury experience. We took advantage of the all day isolation that was included. I hadn’t been sold on that idea prior to experiencing it. I highly recommend it! The instructors provided a nice balance of instruction and guiding, which was much appreciated because LesTrois Valées was massive! I liked the instructor the first week better, but could have switched the second week if I had wanted to. I didn’t because Bob had really gelled with him. I rented skis and found the choices to be quite good and tgat had the advantage if switching skis for different conditions. It is really high altitude so a good choice for March skiing. I did bring my own boots. If you have any questions, hit me up.

ETA … if you want to bring your own skis, book your own flight and be very careful of airlines. Lufthansa would have charged us $400/skis/person EACH way!

mustski

Angel Diva
Sorry for the typos above. It should read all day instruction not all day isolation .... though sometimes it was good and quiet on the runs!

I will add that if anyone is up for planning a club med diva trip, count us in!

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was a big Club Med fan up until kids grew out of wanting lessons. I have a couple of posts in the Kids section about how great I thought their set-up is.

It's best value if you want to take advantage of the lessons: don't fear that it's beginners only; you're put in groups according to your ability and experienced people will end up doing black runs and tree skiing with an instructor who refines your technique but also leads you to some trails you wouldn't have necessarily thought of. There's 2 x 2 hours sessions a day and you can do as many or as few as you want, you're not locked in.

Terrain will depend on what resort you're at: Sahoro in Japan (our usual stomping ground) is effectively a private mountain with only 28km of piste, but the various ones in the French Alps for example have access to the entire 400km+ of piste in the given resort.

Whether or not it's too late now depends on your budget: as we are restricted to school holidays I've always booked the instant that the 30% discounts are offered in January. If I left it to now for the dates I need I'd be paying horrendous prices. If you can get the weeks that aren't in high demand you may be in luck $$$-wise.

Generally the bar area is great for apres-ski and that's where everyone meets; my experience is that most of the seating is communal so you're going to meet people and have a good chat. My husband sounds a bit like yours but even he ended up striking up a bromance with a Bosnian ski instructor and being very social indeed. The instructors make an effort of mingle and will sit in your group and chat, and even join you for dinner and I loved that, it's a really homely environment despite the number of people.

Skiing tends to be the priority from the resorts I've stayed at; mainly because they're fairly isolated and there wasn't really too much else you could do. However, this will depend on the individual resort and what it's in proximity to; Tomamu (the nearest other one to Sahoro) has ice skating and wave pools and other things, Peisey in the Alps has the entire town on its doorstep. If you're one for cultural stuff and apres choose carefully as there are big differences between them.

There are some notable exclusions: transfers to the airport are excluded unless you book the flights through Club Med also, then they'll add them; these can be pretty exxy so it's worthwhile seeing if there's a private transfer available.

On site equipment hire in my experience is pretty steep as well. The Japanese resorts you don't have much option unless you want to hire in Sapporo and drag them with you, but the French ones there'll be a Skiset or an Intersport locally which will likely be cheaper.

European resorts for the most part are locked into the weird 7 day blocks that is common there; last time I looked Peisy and Valmoral were the only two that weren't (might have changed since). However, a CM rep said that later in the season if they're not fully booked then you can book 8 or 10 days or whatever. The Japanese don't do this and I've never looked at Canada to see what their model is.

In terms of cost of CM vs doing it yourself, last year I ended up doing a trip to France myself as Japan hadn't opened its boarders in time for us to be comfortable so we cancelled the booking and flights and went to Europe instead. In terms of cost it was significantly cheaper doing it ourselves, but at the same time it was oranges/apples as I didn't book lessons, the food was crap with husband cooking and it was less relaxing and social. It's altogether a completely different experience.

TBH my kids and husband don't want the high-quality food the CM offers (and my god was it awesome: venison, king crab, fillet steak, local delicacies), and I've cut right down on alcohol so don't really want to be paying for an open bar (Shot night was good though). I'd still do the lessons but they kids don't want to anymore so it's dropping in value for us and the next two years I've got planned are / will be independent travel.

I'll always have a deep love for CM and will summarise it as: if cost is your driving factor, it's not for you, you can do it cheaper yourself; if having zero hassle in organising and a lively, social experience appeals then give it a crack.

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I forgot to add that in Europe certainly, there's an alternative to Club Med which isn't quite as all-inclusive; it's called MMV or Club MMV: they have various resorts around and have a similar full board and kids club model, but don't as standard throw in the lift passes and lessons, and I think the open bar is an add-on as well. It's significantly cheaper because of this ($3000 per week that I'm comparing in January) but you'd have a few other expenses to cover.

Their website is crap though, and always defaults to "your days are not available" even when they're stating they are on the matrix. They have UK reps so will have english speakers available if you wanted to confirm stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga