• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Cliffs!?

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wowee! Cliff hucking on NE snow? I'm impressed.

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK. Picture time. And... it's taller than it looks, I swear!

n667384032_1575457_8380275.jpg

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm officially impressed. There's no way in hell you would ever catch me trying that! :faint:

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:redface:

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
Nice pic!! Well done. That looks similar in size to my "favorite" cliff area in Snowmass. Manageable and not TOO scary. I think the size of this one is as big as the ones the girls were hucking in the Helly comp I mentioned in my other thread. Now the trick is to keep doing this one...and just try to come in hotter and faster each time. THEN you can work a grab in there maybe???

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now the trick is to keep doing this one...and just try to come in hotter and faster each time. THEN you can work a grab in there maybe???

My thoughts exactly!

You got any pictures???

Jenny

Angel Diva
OK. Picture time. And... it's taller than it looks, I swear!

Isn't it disappointing when things don't look the same in pictures? I'm always taking a shot of the extremely steep slope I proudly skiied and it never looks anywhere near as intimidating in the picture as it did in real life!

mollmeister

Angel Diva
I SO wish I was better at this. :redface:

I am not so afraid of the 5ft stuff, but I do have a tendency to half-ass it and go in at an angle, kind of turning off the lip, if you kwim, rather than hitting it head-on and straight. I never quite know what to do with myself if I go roaring in there-- it's like my brain thinks, "if you hit it head-on, you'll never be able to stop and you'll just go racing down that hill at mach-schnell until you hit something!"

So the cornice at Iron Mask in Vail isn't much of a problem (unless the landing looks like it sucks) and this area can be fun:
IMG_8702.jpg

But anything higher or that requires coming in straight-on. . . well, then I am a champion landing-scoper. :redface: This is a great thread for motivation and tips!

mollmeister

Angel Diva
I just thought I would tell you guys that I used the *hands pouring water from a pitcher plan* and a more straight-on lip entrance today.

It worked well the first time. :redface:

The second. . . uh, well, I actually landed the tiny bit of air and then. . . it's unclear exactly what happened on that first turn, but the result was an unintentional front flip on a steep pitch, one ski off (although as I watched, in accident slow-mo, the leg with the ejection, I was glad the binding working as advertised. VERY glad.) and me sliding 25-30ft downhill of said ski.

Which then required a ski removal, a steep, slippery climb back up to the other ski, and a ski reattachment on a steep enough spot that I had to kick out a little *ski platform* to step back into the binding. I supposed I could have slid down to where it mellowed out, but I was already humiliated enough that I figured I had to get the $#@^& skis back on and work it.

Which I did, and ended up smiling. Must. Try. More. And harder. (And next time with an actual ski companion, instead of all alone. Crashing is probably smarter with friends, even if they'll make fun of you later.)

Although I will say that on the run or so previous, a woman I spoke to for a second said, "You're a very good skier," which I don't think is something anyone hears very often. That was kind of cool. :eyebrows: So of course my overweening pride and I then had to go *ss over teakettle. :laugh: Gotta keep that *huge* ego in check, lol.

I don't know why, but I really prefer variable conditions and small drops and even bumps to smooth stuff. . . even though I kind of suck. :D I think it's for the same reason I always preferred trail running to road running-- you have to use your brain and a lot of focus and be very in the moment. I kind of zone out on the groomers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga