• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add webmaster@theskidiva.com to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Choosing an ACL knee brace for skiing

Freetoski

Diva in Training
Hi! Tore ACL and MCL last season. MCL healed well. Opted no surgery on ACL because it never gives out on me. I’m looking for brace recommendations please. Ortho office recommends Breg Fusion but I’m in between sizes so custom they say is best. Or Don Joy custom Defiance. There seems to be so many option in off the shelf ones too. The big thing between Breg fusion and Don Joy is the lowest support wrap- Breg has the rigid metal piece on the front so on your shin. Don Joy has rigid metal piece on the back so it’s on your calf. Would love to hear if anyone has any opinions on this. Thank you!

Jilly

Staff member
I have the Defiance for OA. It's bulky. If you have any close fitting pants, it's not going to fit underneath.

You should take your ski boots to the fitting. They have 2 "lengths" available. I got the short so it didn't interfere with my boot.

FYI - my cottage neighbour is the national sales manager for Canada for Don Joy. He was very helpful.

marzNC

Angel Diva
When I was researching knee braces, I'd pretty much decided the Don Joy would make the most sense. Definitely was looking at a custom fit. But for me as a successful coper, in the end I opted to pay for ski lessons and personal training instead of buying a brace. The way my health insurance was set up, paying for a brace would've been out-of-pocket.

Idahoskier

Diva in Training
I had a very severe knee injury in August 2016. I completely ruptured my ACL and now have a cadaver Achilles’ tendon instead. Also tore my MCL, LCL, PCL, lateral and medial meniscus, shredded my kneecap cartilage, burst my synovial capsule and cracked my tibia. I have gone through extensive physical therapy and have a regular workout regime to continue my active lifestyle. With that said, I went with the Don Joy custom fit. I put my ski boot on when I was fit for the brace. I have to buy a size larger pants or some that are baggy so that I can clear the brace. Snowboard pants and Flylow Chemical pants have all proven a good fit with Flylow Chemical having the best waist fit and room for the brace. Skiing I never feel it, on the chair it sometimes pinches a bit but you soon forget it once you are off and skiing again.

I had a very severe knee injury in August 2016. I completely ruptured my ACL and now have a cadaver Achilles’ tendon instead. Also tore my MCL, LCL, PCL, lateral and medial meniscus, shredded my kneecap cartilage, burst my synovial capsule and cracked my tibia. I have gone through extensive physical therapy and have a regular workout regime to continue my active lifestyle. With that said, I went with the Don Joy custom fit. I put my ski boot on when I was fit for the brace. I have to buy a size larger pants or some that are baggy so that I can clear the brace. Snowboard pants and Flylow Chemical pants have all proven a good fit with Flylow Chemical having the best waist fit and room for the brace. Skiing I never feel it, on the chair it sometimes pinches a bit but you soon forget it once you are off and skiing again.
OUCH!

altagirl

Staff member
My surgeon recommended, and my insurance paid for custom Donjoy defiance knee braces. I used them for the first few years after my ACL reconstructions.

I tored my ACL in 2012 along with my MCL and meniscus. ACL was repaired with a cadaver tendon. I have a Bledsoe semi-custom fitted that my insurance paid for. Light weight. I still use it particularly in spring conditions.

Ski Around Sue

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used the Donjoy custom fit Defiance up until last year after my ACL/MCL tear and repair in 2011 (?). I finally decided I would chance it without the brace. I always hated putting it on and took it off right after skiing but when I was skiing I never really noticed it. It's a great way to have some peace of mind and helps for a confidence boost. I bumped into a woman in a changing rom last year - she was putting her brace on and I was taking mine off. We chatted for a bit. She seemed to have a newer model. The metal was much thinner than mine and seemed like it would fit better under ski pants.

Staff online

Latest posts