• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Chilblains

Jenny

Angel Diva
It sounds so Dickensian. But does anyone else get these? And what do you do about them?

They show up on my toes, and the skin gets swollen, red, and sensitive, but they're not overly painful and they don't itch or burn. I just don't want to do anything to make them more frequent, or worsen in severity.

Is there anything that can be done to hasten the recovery/healing?

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've had them---they have not been so bad this year (knock on wood). The key for me seems to be keeping my feet as warm as possible (not only when skiing-- but other times like in bed, walking etc) and using a moisturizing cream (Aveeno) on them to keep them from getting dry (as a preventative). I also try not to let my feet warm up too fast after they are cold-- gradual warm up is better.
If I do end up getting them, I put Neutrogena foot cream on them and for some reason it seems to really help them.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Yep - try to keep them warm, don't warm up too quickly, etc. I happened to be at the doctor yesterday and asked about them - he mentioned keeping the skin supple, so I'll get some Neutrogena cream. I used Vaseline last night.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, for some reason the Neutrogena foot cream seems to work especially well for me. It seems to reduce/lessen them for me and works fairly quickly-- a day or 2.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Thanks - that's the kind of knowledge I was hoping someone would have. Hope it works for me, too!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Whoa - I thought I had every foot malady in the book, but THIS is a new one on me. :eek: Off to google!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Well, MSL - it gives you something to strive for!?
:eek: Wow, nasty stuff! I'll pass, thanks - don't give my feet any ideas here. :rolleyes: Cold, damp environment? Check. Almost seems related to Raynaud's in the blood vessel constriction aspect and pain that follows? Yikes. Keep your feet warm and dry!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Thankfully, mine aren't severe, but I don't want them to get that way. Went skiing today, and they don't seem to be any worse. Toes were cold and red when the boots came off (yes, i wear toe warmers). No Raynaud's here, although inadequate circulation wouldn't surprise me, given that my digits are always colder than anyone else's.

What I don't understand, and this goes for work days too, is how my feet can sweat when they're cold. I SWEAR they never get warm enough to sweat, so how on earth can they get cold because they're wet? Sweating seems to be everyone's explanation, but I just don't get it. If I could solve that mystery I could prevent the darn chilblains in the first place, I guess.

And while I'm griping about it - I don't notice any difference when I wear wool socks, either.

Thank you for your time . . .

Midlifeaddiction

Certified Ski Diva
Just came in from walking the dog. There it was! I suffered from them last year for the first time and thought I was done: new warm boots, sock changes etc. I was skiing yesterday and the day before that it was pouring out. I went home and took a hot bath. That must have been the culprit. They are difficult to get rid of once they start. I have heard of putting anti-perspirent on your feet to stop the sweating. It is horrifying to think of something as unlady-like as sweaty feet! I wear smart wool socks often. So that's not it. It must be the cold to warm to cold. I read somewhere that people that spend a lot of time outdoors their whole lives are more prone to this. I wonder if getting mild frostbite on my toes since I was a teenager has anything to do with it! I certainly have had frostbitten toes while ski touring when I was younger and last year was bitter cold.

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For me it is the temperature change from warm to cold to hot. so in winter I try to keep my feet an even temp. I got heated tiles for my bathroom and kitchen which has helped a lot, insulated gumboots for farm work in the frost, wool lined boots for going out and always thick woolly socks or ugg boots indoors as soon as I get out of bed. I rarely get them now with all that. We lived in a cold old wooden house when I grew up and I had them all the time. We used to use liniment on them.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thankfully, mine aren't severe, but I don't want them to get that way. Went skiing today, and they don't seem to be any worse. Toes were cold and red when the boots came off (yes, i wear toe warmers). No Raynaud's here, although inadequate circulation wouldn't surprise me, given that my digits are always colder than anyone else's.

Have you tried a pair of Boot Gloves? I find that mine keep my feet much warmer than toe warmers ever did.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I haven't yet, as the toe warmers seem to do a decent job, but I think about it periodically. It's interesting that NZFarmgirl mentioned the temperature change, as when I was at work and my feet were cold I'd shove them practically inside the heater until they got warm again, so maybe I was exacerbating the problem.

Luckily, they haven't been a problem in the last couple of years.

Midlifeaddiction

Certified Ski Diva
Just came from the doctor about this. Technical name is Pernia. What I found interesting is that it is aggravated by temperature AND moisture. Evidently, when feet perspire, the moisture breaks down the tissue. Any blow to any of the digits also reduces blood flow, whether it was a stubbed or broken toe or finger, frostbite, etc. the blood vessels don't exactly grow back the same, so there are areas where there isn't the same blood flow. So it was suggested I manage the temperature and the moisture by wearing wool socks, keeping all digits at a reasonable temp, use powder, anti-perspirent, to keep things dry and moisturizing is also important to keep skin supple.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Try using cheap spray antiperspirant on your feet before putting your socks on. That should help keep the temperature swings and moisture at bay some.

MtB

Diva in Training
After three agonizing ski seasons (and several misdiagnosis from Drs), I am just discovering that this is what has been bothering me. Once I get them, (as in starting last week) I can't seem to wear any footwear comfortably (including my skis). My pinky toe is swollen, and I think this exacerbates the lack of circulation. Is my only option to wait for 3 weeks for it to go down? If I can keep my toes warm, is it ok to still ski, or will that continue to make it worse until spring?

Along those lines, does anyone have any good recommendations for ski socks? I'm struggling with "keep your feet warm while skiing" but also, "make sure they don't sweat." Help! I'd really love to get through a ski season without this happening again.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Other than the suggestions already here, I've got nothing for you. I always wear wool ski socks, and toe warmers. Never remembered to try the anti perspirant thing, and was pretty bad at regularly remembering to use skin cream, but mine never got terribly bad, either.

The only thing I'd be worried about if you keep skiing is permanent damage. I'd want to know more about that before I decided to risk it. Did the doctor give you any guidance with that?

MtB

Diva in Training
I haven't had a doctor diagnose it yet. They gave me metatarsal pads, which I just received in the mail, because he thought it was sesamoiditis. (I've had podiatrists in previous years just tell me they were bruised and gave me a toe pad, and someone else put me on antibiotics) None of that ever really worked, ski season just eventually ended.

After reading about Chilblains, this is definitely what it is. Itchiness when it it gets hot, problems during winter time after a few months of skiing, red puffy and swollen toes, etc. I'll look for some antiperspirant and new socks and see if it helps.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Oh, and I've started to take off my boots when we go in for a break, even though I hate to mess with them when I've got them all tightened up nice. But that has the benefit of rejuvenating the toe warmers, as well as letting my toes warm up and feet dry out some.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna