• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Cheapest way to do Tahoe & Mammoth without Ikon

Rachel614

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Given that you will be there during "ski week" for public schools, I might find lodging ASAP and then figure out the where-to-ski question based on where you can stay. But I think you will also want to buy advance lift tickets if you can. If memory serves, traffic into Palisades can be heinous so you might keep that in mind as you make decisions.

And just to give a little love to Northstar -- the photo on my avatar is my daughter on the Northstar gondola -- I love skiing the back side. Long black runs and not typically (in my experience) crowded. Lift lines in other parts of the resort can get lengthy, though.
Thanks for sharing!!! And yea I normally wing where I stay night by night on trips but maybe this time I’ll have to plan ahead. I think I’m gonna rent a van since I’m not driving mine in case we need to stay in it worst casenario

Rachel614

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you looking for park terrain or is this a typo? If in North Lake Tahoe, you have Diamond Peak and Mt. Rose is very close. Mt. Rise has 2 for Tuesdays which is a good savings on lift tickets.
Mammoth mountain has a quad pack for $599. That is expensive but less than the daily rate and it’s also valid at June mountain which is much less crowded and super fun for intermediate skiers

Also, I have plenty of “friends and family discounts” on my Ikon pass which you are welcome to. The catch is that it is 25% off the daily window rate so it’s not as good as multi day tickets but valuable if you plan to ski one day. At Mt. Rose, we can get you $40 off the walk up rate but it’s not as good as the 2for1 on Tuesdays. Thursday at Mr. Rose is ladies’ day so $69 for you and we could get your hubby $40 off his ticket
Thanks so much for that!!! Maybe I’ll keep in touch?? No clue what where well end up, I suppose I should start planning but kind of bad at that what places would you reccomend the most for best views?

Also I meant park as in resort or “place” lolwoops

Rachel614

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I always forget about ski week! It didn't exist when I was in school, and I don't have kids. We also failed to track when MLK Day was and booked lodging for a pass blackout day. Surprisingly, Kirkwood was not busy, and we learned you can get a blackout pass.

2/17-2/18 are the blackout dates for Epic Local Passes, but I assume places will still be busy!
Yea I will have to check them out!! We’re going to a concert the 18th anyway so prob won’t ski that date. Ah I need to start actually planning so that im not stuck without being able to ski anywhere lol

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a concert 2/18 in Tahoe
Where is your concert? That might help narrow down the part of the basin that will be easier to navigate.

For viewing the lake, the road might be closed depending on weather, but Emerald Bay is amazing. The road around the lake generally has pullouts or places where you can park and see the lake, etc.

Rachel614

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Where is your concert? That might help narrow down the part of the basin that will be easier to navigate.

For viewing the lake, the road might be closed depending on weather, but Emerald Bay is amazing. The road around the lake generally has pullouts or places where you can park and see the lake, etc.
Looks like it’s right by heavenly, the Tahoe event and blues center. I’ll plan to do heavenly a couple days even if that means that’s all I can afford as far as Tahoe goes before heading to mammoth haha. Seems like something to knock off the bucket list, hopefully no closed roads

Amie H

Angel Diva
Others may have mentioned this, but if you are looking for cheaper lift tickets and don't require a huge resort, the ski hills just South of I-80 such as Boreal, Donner Ski Ranch, and Sugarbowl have some nice deals, too. Mt Rose as noted by others has some great midweek deals, or half-day deals and is easily acessible from downtown Reno (cheaper lodging options but will require more driving.)

I visited Donner Ski Ranch a few years ago and I had most of the mountain to myself on a mid-week day. I'm planning a return this season if the weather cooperates and the road to Donner Pass is open (it sometimes is closed.) It has a local feel to it, very "mom & pop" vibe. Lots of families with little kids on the magic carpet. There are beautiful views of Donner Lake on a clear day from the top of chairs 1 and 2. Chairs subject to wind holds, as are many other Tahoe-area resorts, so keep that in mind, as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna