• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Channeling my inner elderly Italian guy....BOCCE!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ohh, I love Bocce ball, we used to play it as kids at our cabin. I always want to buy a set every summer and never can find them. You'll have a great time. I am surprised they actually have organized teams for this, but then again, I live in the middle of nowhere and get the three head look if I even go into a store and ask about them. I'm a little jealous actually. What fun.

EXTREME CROQUET!!!!!! :ROTF:

Have fun! Looks great!
(Do they need cheerleaders?) :cheer:

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We used to bring bocce on our climbing gatherings... all terrain bocce whoo!

It was fun, until it got so dark that you started to lose the pallino.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Organized Bocce teams? How cool is that!

Definitely looking forward to some summer evening bocce. You know it's a great sport when you can hold a beer in one hand and still play.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My family plays bocce at my parent's house whenever we are all over there for dinner. FUN!

But, I'm pretty interested in what extreme croquet is all about?

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've played croquet at family functions, and my cousin-in-law is an avid golfer so he would set up the croquet game like an 18-hole golf course. it's a ton of fun

I like bocce too and have beaten up on the older Eyetalian gents (ex inlaws) haha!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But, I'm pretty interested in what extreme croquet is all about?

Heh - extreme croquet is when the field isn't entirely flat, unobstructed, or manicured for that matter, and the balls are rolling all over the place, over rocks, around trees and shrubs, trying to get through the wickets. It's a side effect of not having enough lawn. :becky:

Last night was our first bocce game! Our team is Bocce and Bow Ties, and our color is the ever intimidating light pink. So, the guys showed up in dress shirts and pink bow ties last night! And flasks, of course. The women showed up wearing pearls. I think next week I will need to find my tennis skirt and a cardigan. Oh yes, and we won, 16-6. Did you know that there are actually pretty intricate rules for this game? Holy cow.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Heh - extreme croquet is when the field isn't entirely flat, unobstructed, or manicured for that matter, and the balls are rolling all over the place, over rocks, around trees and shrubs, trying to get through the wickets. It's a side effect of not having enough lawn. :becky:

Just the type of croquet my friends & I play while drinking bloody marys on a Sunday!:thumbsup:

Jilly

Staff member
You really need to try Bloody Cesear's. But you can't get the mix in the states. Another thing to add to my list of things to bring to a Diva gathering if I'm driving. (You need Clamato juice!!)

At work we're working on a retirement residence and one of the contractors decided that the residents needed a Bocce ball court on the patio. Therefore the colour of the membrane on the patio needed to be green. The ensuing discussion took 3 months to resolve!! (There was also the BBQ, chairs, table etc to be looked at)
Not sure if they got the court!!

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did you know that there are actually pretty intricate rules for this game? Holy cow.

Hubby and I played Bocce yesterday on an actual court at our local park - I've never done that before. Usually we just play in someone's backyard or on the beach. It was funny....there were a lot of people that walked by and asked what we were playing. I don't think most people even know what those courts are for.

I think we're going to make it a Sunday tradition. It's so fun to ride our bikes over there with a picnic and play Bocce for a few hours.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I found the Bocce ball set at Target!!! I can't decide whether or not to buy it though. That would mean mowing the meadow, which I quit doing last year because I decided that spending all that time riding around on a tractor was ill spent. Plus, not having to irrigate was nice too. ( I spent a fortune on native seed so I could just let it naturalize ) But now this Bocce thing has me going again. Tradygirl, what exactly do the courts look like, how big is it? Perhaps a compromise is in order here.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The courts are about 60 feet long and about 10-15 feet wide. It seems like hard packed clay or dirt covered with a gravelly sand.

If you're playing in your backyard, I wouldn't even worry about a full sized court. We usually just play freestyle across the whole yard. :D

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The courts are about 60 feet long and about 10-15 feet wide. It seems like hard packed clay or dirt covered with a gravelly sand.

If you're playing in your backyard, I wouldn't even worry about a full sized court. We usually just play freestyle across the whole yard. :D

Well, you know that's what we have always done too, but I don't know how well that will work now that the yard is done in Lolo Forest #2 and I have quit mowing it...BUT, I certainly can manage a similiar sized court as the one above, and with our soils, it should work just fine. Viva Bocce! Woo Hoo!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Woohoo! We're undefeated after 2 games!

Tonight, our field was rather bumpy, with a slope and low-lying branches, to boot. Oh, and fading light, as we played from 7:30 to 8:30pm. But Bocce and Bow Ties overcame adversity and prevailed. And then we drank some beer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna