• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Celestron 2000's Demo Day

Celestron2000

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Part 1, more to follow...

About me: 5’7’’ and 140 Lbs, advanced intermediate (level 6 ish) w/ pretty good technique (ie linked, carved, variable radius turns, working on skiing more “offensively” etc, but far from a speed demon).

Conditions: Loveland Ski area, 11/19/11. 2-4 inches of fresh snow on packed powder- wind blown into little mounds of powder and other areas of practically boiler plate.
I took every ski down the same 2 runs for comparison sake. I started with a moderate green and next took each ski on a steepish blue run. Both runs were top to bottom, but not particularly long.

What I’m looking for: All mountain ski about 76 underfoot that will make a fun groomer ski, to replace my beginner all mountain skis.

Skis I demoed:
First:
Dynastar Exclusive Legend Idyll, 164 cm: First impressions were that there felt a little damp/ heavy underfoot. On one hand they gave me more confidence to pick up speed and plow over little piles of snow, on the other hand I felt like I kind had to work to get them on edge.
Once I took them on the blue run they seemed to kinda wake-up and were a little more fun and lively. I liked these skis overall, but wasn’t crazy about them.

Second: K2 Superfree, 160 cm: First impression was that these were immediately so easy to ski and responsive. Even at low speed on the green they felt like they were reading my mind and would do anything I wanted. They were light and lively underfoot, but also able to handle the fresh snow mounds without problems. Once I took them on the blue and picked up some speed they just gave me even more. These skis were so much fun, I loved them. :love:
They almost felt like I had re-discovered a missing natural appendage of my body.
Downside, the top sheet was SO GIRLY, all hot pink and and purple swirlies with a pink plastic jewel… kinda embarrassing… :embarrassed:
But all in all this was definitely my favorite ski of the day.
Might buy the next size up, 160 was all that was available but they skiied so easily I might try to demo the 167 before making a purchse... seems like around 164 would have been perfect, not an option though.

I liked these so much I took them back out for a few more runs at the end of the day just for fun.

Celestron2000

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Part 2

Third:
Rossignol Temptation 82, 168 cm
I had initially wanted to demo the Temptation 78, as it was more what I’m looking for width-wise and also rated for someone of my ability level. The 82 was wider than I was looking for, rated advanced, and the only demo they had was 168… so I was a little intimidated but took it out anyways.
My first impression was that it was actually really easy to ski. I had no trouble getting it on edge and making short radius turns. It was very confidence inspiring and I felt really good at speed and plowing over mounds and crud. It was also fun, and I noticed the pop that others have mentioned.
This was actually my second favorite ski of the day, kinda made me wonder how much I would have loved the 78’s. If I were to buy these skis I wouldn’t go any shorter, they do ski short.
I also liked the topsheet… :thumbsup:

Fourth:
Solomon Origins Bamboo, 166 cm
I did want to demo Salomon’s Origins Lava or Intense Black, but this was the only all-mountain ladies’ they had available. I’m afraid it was just too much ski for me. I felt like I had to get REALLY, uncomfortably, awkwardly forward in order to ski these. I didn’t wipe out, but I didn’t feel good on these at all. I think maybe they wanted a more aggressive skier… :(

Fifth:
Atomic Affinity Pure, 160 cm: By now my legs were getting a little tired, so these really didn’t get the best trial. I only took them on the green run where they felt a little damp and heavy to me, so I didn’t bother to take them on the blue.

… I went back for the K2 Superfrees to polish off the day.
:thumbsup:
Overall I had a great time and learned alot about these skis, but even more about my skiing. It was fascinating how much it changed depending on what I had straped to my feet.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey, thanks for posting your reviews! Sounds like you had a great day out there.

What were/are your old "beginner all mountain skis", if I might ask?

I'm also curious about the Salomon Bamboo and how it compares to last year's Salomon gem skis. I think the Bamboo is meant to be the replacement for last year's Diamond, is that right? I bought a pair of Opals last season and was curious about how the line has changed.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the reviews! It sounds like we're at a similar ski level, so now I want to demo the Superfrees, and I'll look into the Temptations, also. I have Lotta Luvs that I like but there are times when I feel like they ski me a little bit. Hmmm...

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Segacs - the Black is the replacement for the daimond. The Bamboo is a "green" ski. It's quite stiff actually. I demo'd it last March. There is a review somewhere.

found it: https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11662&page=2

Ah, that makes sense then. A stiffer, more advanced ski than the Diamond is probably going to feel like "too much ski" to someone who, well, doesn't ski like you. :smile:

I wonder if Salomon was getting criticism for its women's skis being too soft in general? Seems like they've phased out a couple of their beginner/intermediate skis and added a couple on the top end of the spectrum this year.

Celestron2000

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad you found my reviews helpful, obviously take-em for what they're worth. I'm no expert.

I'm currently on a 2010 Volkl Oceana in 156cm. It was great for helping me get to where I am now, but now I feel like it's holding me back. Mostly it's just not stable at higher speeds. It also stinks in 2+ inches of fresh snow, crud, etc, it's really much more of a groomer ski

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad you were able to get some demoing in already! I see you're currently on Volkls. Do you have any plans to demo any Volkl skis? Just curious since I currently ski Volkls (Lunas) and love them, just looking for a ski with a higher ceiling as far as ability. It will be interesting to see if I feel the same way about the Idylls that you did, since they're obviously the ski of interest to me right now. :love: I have to say I'm a bit disappointed you didn't love them more. I was waiting for you to come back and feed my obsession with them. lol

Celestron2000

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was initially hoping to demo the Sol and possibly Tierras, but it wasn't an option. The Sols seemed to be more or less what I wanted, but no rocker, so I wasn't sure how it would handle new snow/ crud. I was concerned the Tierras would be more ski than I can handle right now. Both are pretty expensive, especially Tierras.

Honestly loved the Superfree so much, I don't really feel the need for any more demoing. Looks like I'll be getting them for Christmas. :p

You might love the Idylls, I didn't dislike them... I got the sense they would ski better for a more agressive skier than I am (which is like really, not).

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was initially hoping to demo the Sol and possibly Tierras, but it wasn't an option. The Sols seemed to be more or less what I wanted, but no rocker, so I wasn't sure how it would handle new snow/ crud. I was concerned the Tierras would be more ski than I can handle right now. Both are pretty expensive, especially Tierras.

Honestly loved the Superfree so much, I don't really feel the need for any more demoing. Looks like I'll be getting them for Christmas. :p

You might love the Idylls, I didn't dislike them... I got the sense they would ski better for a more agressive skier than I am (which is like really, not).

I'm eagerly awaiting a trip up to Hunter to hit up the demo shop there. :becky: I'll let you know what I think of the Idylls. My husband says I'm aggressive when I need to be, whatever that means exactly... maybe it means I'm a lazy skier except when I fear for my life? lol Keep me posted on the new skis and how they work out for you!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga