• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Catskill suggestion

Arlaquinn

Certified Ski Diva
Going to head there Friday Feb 20th...last day of Feb break for NY state schools..any suggestions?? We went to hunter a few years ago, should we try another resort?? Windham? Belleayre?

Thanks for any info!

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My suggestion would be for Belleayre or Plattekill. When we went to Hunter it was way crowded and icy. Never been to Windham.

If the snow is good, Plattekill is a blast. They have a small lodge, and the lift tickets are really inexpensive. It's 1100 vertical feet, and never crowded. Steep black runs, and some twisty blue and green runs.
https://www.plattekill.com/winter/index.php

Belleayre always seems to have good snow, and they have more amenities. (And more crowds). Just depends on what you prefer.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I second Lori's suggestions. Plattekill's only open on Fri, Sat, and Sun (and holidays, I think), so if you're going to be there the entire week, I suggest splitting it between Plattekill and Bellearye. At Bellearye, if you own your equipment (or are renting it from the shop at the bottom of the hill, right when you turn onto the access road -- Potter Brothers, I think?) head to the uppermost lodge, which tends to be less crowded.

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Windham

I've been to Windham twice for ski clinics and liked it a lot. Conditions very, very different from Tahoe. I recommend that you try a different resort from Hunter just to check things out. But I have no idea how Windham compares to the others mentioned.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Windham is much better than Hunter in my opinion. Less crowded, and the crowd that is there is much more chill and less stereotypically NYC than Hunter. The good thing about Windham is that they make a lot of snow, so the conditions will be more reliable than Plattekill or Belleayre.

That said, if it's snowed recently I would definitely try one of those two out -- I've been meaning to myself. Just don't go back to Hunter. :smile:

abc

Banned
Going to head there Friday Feb 20th...last day of Feb break for NY state schools..any suggestions?? We went to hunter a few years ago, should we try another resort?? Windham? Belleayre?
You didn't say what you like or dislike about Hunter.

That would help point suggestions to the right direction.

Almost all the other 3 would be less crowded than Hunter (not always though).

But some don't have as much snow (Plattekill), others don't have the same terrain veriety (Windham -- lacking advanced Plattekill -- lacking beginer). Some are harder to get to...

you have to tell us what you are looking for.

Arlaquinn

Certified Ski Diva
Catskill update

Thank you very much for your suggestions
I think we will head to Windham. I just wanted to head in that direction b/c I can do it in a day trip. I like the various terrain that Hunter had and we will bringing my boyfriends 8 year old son with us....I thought he would get a kick out of the air bag at Windham..anyone know the deal on that?

Thanks!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Um, the air bag is really fun. :smile: You get to try it twice for free (but honestly, they weren't paying that much attention), and then it's $25 to use it as much as you want all day. Helmets are required, and no poles allowed (you just leave them at the bottom of the rope tow that's right there). Basically you just launch yourself off a kicker that's maybe 8' high and land on a giant bag. :smile: It's pretty fun.

Here's a video of me doing it in December this year:
https://vimeo.com/2625169

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga