• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Cat Skiing?

Celestron2000

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, I have a friend that wants to book some Cat Skiing at Monarch this winter and wants me to come. The problem is that I'm not sure I'm a good enough skiier.
I'm about a level 7 skier and still struggle some in powder (hoping the Pandoras will help with that). I don't know if any of you can really tell me, but I'm wondering if it would be an issue where I would be holding the group up, or if it would be posssible to take easier lines or what?
I don't know if any of you have done this trip or have done similar trips that you could weigh in a bit.
I'm torn because it sounds so fun, but it's a lot of money so I wouldn't want to ruin it for others or have a totally miserable time myself...
Thoughs? Comments?

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would recommend calling the outfit that runs the cat and bringing up your concerns. Usually they'll be able to assess your ability based on where you ski at whatever resort you typically ski at. Is it the one that runs out of the resort itself? If so, it looks like there is only one level group that goes out, so the possibility of splitting up by group ability is not there. If it's a different operation, then they may have two or more groups going out so you can go in an appropriate skill group (this is what it was like when I did a cat day at Steamboat).

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So my husband and I did a day of cat skiing at Powder Mountain, UT this past February. The group we were with was of different skill levels, about 12 people plus two guides and a driver. We started out on some of the easier pitched slopes, and worked our way around to steeper and more difficult slopes. It was all pretty casual-- you were encouraged to ski as much as you wanted, or if you got tired you could just ride in the snow cat to the pick up point and rest during that run. We had a few people do that-- they would ski about every other run. There was really no pressure to try to "keep up", everyone was out having fun. Some were faster, some slower. But we were able to stop and take pictures a couple of times during a run, or to get some video footage without too much delay. By the end of the day everyone was totally exhausted (in a good way!) and just grinning. The guides who are on the cat can provide you with information on easier lines and/or slopes, and they will do what they can to make sure you have fun. If you are willing to step outside your comfort zone a bit and try something new, I think the cat skiing is a great opportunity. But if you go, prepare to be spoiled by no crowds and lots of untracked powder! :dance:

Celestron2000

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would recommend calling the outfit that runs the cat and bringing up your concerns. Usually they'll be able to assess your ability based on where you ski at whatever resort you typically ski at. Is it the one that runs out of the resort itself? If so, it looks like there is only one level group that goes out, so the possibility of splitting up by group ability is not there. If it's a different operation, then they may have two or more groups going out so you can go in an appropriate skill group (this is what it was like when I did a cat day at Steamboat).
Yeah, I'll probably do this. I'm pretty sure it is only one Cat

Celestron2000

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, can you ski Mirkwood? If you can ski that, you should be ok. Call Monarch and talk to someone.
Unfortonately, I've never gone back to Mirkwood. I was planning to go on the tour at some point this year, but my friend wants to book now because reservations are allready filling up.

Edit: I'll probably get back there at some point before February. I suppose I could cancel if I decide I'd be in over my head...

Celestron2000

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So my husband and I did a day of cat skiing at Powder Mountain, UT this past February. The group we were with was of different skill levels, about 12 people plus two guides and a driver. We started out on some of the easier pitched slopes, and worked our way around to steeper and more difficult slopes. It was all pretty casual-- you were encouraged to ski as much as you wanted, or if you got tired you could just ride in the snow cat to the pick up point and rest during that run. We had a few people do that-- they would ski about every other run. There was really no pressure to try to "keep up", everyone was out having fun. Some were faster, some slower. But we were able to stop and take pictures a couple of times during a run, or to get some video footage without too much delay. By the end of the day everyone was totally exhausted (in a good way!) and just grinning. The guides who are on the cat can provide you with information on easier lines and/or slopes, and they will do what they can to make sure you have fun. If you are willing to step outside your comfort zone a bit and try something new, I think the cat skiing is a great opportunity. But if you go, prepare to be spoiled by no crowds and lots of untracked powder! :dance:
This is kindof what I'm hoping for.
Also hoping that by February I'll be at least a slightly better skier...

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, that sounds fantastic.:ski3:

Jerez

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Going to Mirkwood before the cat is a great idea. It's not such a long hike and it is essentially the same terrain as the cat skis. Once you've done Mirkwood a few times, you'll feel more confident and will have a better time. The Pandoras will definitely help too ;-)

jellyflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Celestron,

I was the same when it came to heliskiing a few years back. EXACTLY the same thoughts.

- the money that YOU spend for the operator is as valuable as that the others spend. Don't worry too much about others
- you don't go alone so how is the skill set of your friend? A bit like yours?
- you will only know if you try :becky:
- Valid for skiing in powder even more than for other flavors of skiing: you only improve if you go for it
- the restrictions around a day in the powder won't be skills. It will rather be fuel of the cat (just an assumption - I don't know for sure) or the fitness level of the group

From my experience a lot of women (including myself) rather talk their skills down than up and are critical with themselves. Don't let that be a roadblock on your way to the powder!

Have fun

altagirl

Staff member
It really depends on the terrain and snow conditions. I've gone cat skiing a few times in BC an it's been wonderful powder and mostly treed terrain of varying steepness. On most runs, there are still some options where the guides can tell you "steeper over there, more mellow over here", that kind of thing. And if you don't mind sitting out a run or two, that's always an option if they are going to do something especially challenging (in terms of terrain or snow). I know the one year as we were skiing back down to the base, we did one run that was south facing and they expected the snow to be extra heavy and maybe breakable crust and I passed on that. My husband skied that run and said I probably made the right call.

Now that said, if you're not comfortable in powder, I'd certainly work on that first. I'm definitely not the aggressive skier that I used to be, but I can still ski powder comfortably and work my way around/through obstacles in a reasonable amount of time. Meaning - the group I skied with had some guys jumping the small cliff bands, and I'd pick my way through chutes or go around, but I'd still make it down to the bottom of the run before/right as the cat got there, so it didn't matter and therefore wasn't a race. That said, if you just aren't comfortable skiing powder or are getting stuck repeatedly or are losing skis or taking a really long time on runs... your group would not be happy.

You don't have to be totally matched in ability to the group your skiing with, but you do have to be able to ski the type of terrain you will be skiing in a reasonable range of conditions (I'm thinking if it's really bad - ice crust or something, I'd just bail or they'd cancel the whole thing). Even if you're not quite beating the cat there, it's not a big deal because it takes them a while to load up. But if you would really struggle just to make it down each run, it's not likely to be very fun and you would probably be adding stress of not holding people up to the mix. My husband and I did a guided ski tour of the Aguille d'Midi in Chamonix and there were two Brits in our group that got up top with us, put their skis on in the powder and were absolutely stuck because they didn't know how to ski powder and had never tried (and it was a meter deep that day!). Yeesh. The guide sent for a backup guide to get them back up to the lift because they'd have taken days to get down the mountain. So DO have an idea of what you're getting into.

Personally - I'd check what the cancellation options are, and assuming they're not horrible, really work on your powder skiing skills ahead of the trip and make the final call as it gets closer.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
... That said, if you just aren't comfortable skiing powder or are getting stuck repeatedly or are losing skis or taking a really long time on runs... your group would not be happy.

Most likely if this is happening, they'll just sit you. But as was suggested, go check out Mirkwood on your own first, and that will help you know.

Another option, though it is more $$ than Monarch, is to go to Steamboat, which splits its groups into 3 levels, roughly adhering to intermediate, advanced, and expert levels. As altagirl said, sometimes it isn't the actual powder skiing that is an issue; it's the backcountry part of it, the ability to traverse through certain sections or handle "interesting" snow conditions. So also assess your comfort level with that. Skiing untracked powder on nice modern fat skis is really pretty simple!

All that said ... operators do a great job with handling their clients, and they seem to usually oversell the difficulty of the terrain (a bit), to match up with the possibility/probability that clients are overstating their ability levels. (That's more of a guy thing, of course, cough cough)

altagirl

Staff member
All that said ... operators do a great job with handling their clients, and they seem to usually oversell the difficulty of the terrain (a bit), to match up with the possibility/probability that clients are overstating their ability levels. (That's more of a guy thing, of course, cough cough)

No kidding. The route we skied on the Aguille d'Midi was not particularly difficult. It was just deep powder (and in the days before fat skis were commonplace). My husband and I told them we we were "probably advanced? skiers and would do fine in powder..." and we did. The guys (surprise, surprise!) who got ditched because they were attempting to snowplow in 3 feet of fresh snow on skinny skis (talk about an exercise in futility) had told the guides and us and everyone else that they were "Total experts!". Yeesh.

This is the advantage of going with a known group...

Celestron2000

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for all your feedback.
I'll plan to go for now, and as has been suggested, try to get to Mirkwood a few times before the trip to be sure I'm ready.

Celestron2000

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm... maybe I can even book a half day lesson prior to the trip where we spend time in Mirkwood...

...this is getting expesive.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm... maybe I can even book a half day lesson prior to the trip where we spend time in Mirkwood...

...this is getting expesive.
That would be a great idea! Whether or not you decide to go on the trip, the lesson would be tremendously worthwhile in the long run. At least you'd have the encouragement of an instructor to address your skill concerns; and most surely inspire you to find your way through your doubts.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna