• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Can you prevent bruising?

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Divas,

I'm an easy bruiser! In fact, someone compared me to a banana :banana: the other day. Anyone know of anything I can do or vitamins I can take to help my veins be less fragile?

That is, aside from the obvious of not bumping into things or biking or skiing or generally enjoying life.

Thanks,
Connie

altagirl

Staff member
I'm a pretty easy bruiser too. (Must go with the name... ;) )

I have used "Traumeel" cream (homeopathic type stuff) after a wreck and it does seem to help some. (Thanks to my friend Veronica up in BC for hooking me up with some to try!) I do also think that just massaging the area in general helps get rid of it faster once you're through the initial trauma phase.

I haven't really found anything to be really effective in prevention. It's pretty annoying because I don't even have to fall to come home from a bike trip looking like someone beat my legs with a stick. Just moving the bike around under me - I bump it into my legs and bruise up. Funny too because on my old bike, all the bruises were on my inner thigh - my new bike is shorter and now they're all on my inner calf. I'm not sure if that's better or worse.

I guess what really bugs me about it is that my husband can't even comprehend how I get these bruises - it takes a massive injury for him to bruise, and virtually nothing at all for me. Totally unfair.

Daria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Arnica is supposed to help. It is a homeopathic as well and comes in pills and creams

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for info. I'm an easy bruiser also and I had some amazing bruises this last ski season.......huge purple splotches!!!

My best advice to avoid bruising is to not sit next to NannyMin!!!! :becky:

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I guess I'm lucky. I'm extremely hard to bruise as an adult - don't remember if this was the case as a kid. I think it's just luck of the draw because I'm not doing anything special to avoid bruising.

Solincia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to bruise extremely easy. Tap me in the arm, that was going to bruise! Bump my leg on something, bruise. No questions asked... However, this i slightly odd, and I don't quite know the WHY, but I was a vegetarian for 14 years... and just started eating meat about 3 years ago... I don't really bruise anymore <unless of course REALLY hit with something>.

I think perhaps I was missing some vitamins or something... but I've definately noticed a difference. This in no way is me saying you should eat meat, like I said, I think I was perhaps missing something--but I don't know what it was.

altagirl

Staff member
I used to bruise extremely easy. Tap me in the arm, that was going to bruise! Bump my leg on something, bruise. No questions asked... However, this i slightly odd, and I don't quite know the WHY, but I was a vegetarian for 14 years... and just started eating meat about 3 years ago... I don't really bruise anymore <unless of course REALLY hit with something>.

I think perhaps I was missing some vitamins or something... but I've definately noticed a difference. This in no way is me saying you should eat meat, like I said, I think I was perhaps missing something--but I don't know what it was.

I've wondered that too - but as my husband puts it - I'm a carnivore. I eat a lot of meat and a lot of vegetables. The only thing I don't eat much of is grain/bread. And I've been trying to eat more dairy.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did a cursory Google search (cuz, you know, the internet never lies) and the gist of what I found out is that 1) women bruise more easily than men; 2) you skin gets thinner as you age, so you'll be able to see more bruising as you grow older; 3) there are some meds that may be part of your regular regimen will make bruising more noticeable; 4) same, there are some homeopathic/herbal supplements that make bruising more noticeable.

I think it is to some extent a dietary thing. In my head, I think it's an iron issue, but I could just be making that up. I bruise "easily" but I also walk into furniture, which doesn't help my cause. :doh:

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks all for your insite and sharing similar problems. I'm not alone! hehe

safetydiva

Diva in Training
Hey this is my first post! Re easy bruising - can be a sign of a problem so you should see your doc. Can be caused by many things - aspirin, which is in many over the counter pain drugs (Anacin, Excedrine, Alka Seltzer for example) and vitamin E supplements. Lots of herbal products can cause it too.....Hope that helps!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bruise easily and have random small bruises on my arms and legs--mystery bruises, since usually I don't recall any bumps/trauma in those places. And, when I really take a hit, I either have no bruise or one no bigger than the mystery bruises.

I attribute my increased propensity to bruise to 'old skin' or 'aging'. Unless there are other symptoms, simple skin bruises may be part of the wear and tear.

snowsparkle2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I normally bruise fairly easily as well, but yesterday as I was getting ready to go out for the evening I took a back kick at my punch bag without noticing that OH had moved his weight bench further over in the room. So I really whacked the top of my foot on one of the metal legs - owwww that hurt. :Cry: Now immediately a great black bruise came up and I was thinking, oh how nice my feet are going to look in sandals this evening. But I'd been running a nice hot bath, and straight away jumped in it, and 20 mins of soaking later the bruise had completely disappeared. Now how weird is that ? I wonder if the heat dissipated the bruise build-up in some way?

I will definitely try it again next time I get a nasty bump (although I can see logistical problems with getting straight to a bath when you're out on some bike trail in the middle of nowhere!).

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey this is my first post! Re easy bruising - can be a sign of a problem so you should see your doc. Can be caused by many things - aspirin, which is in many over the counter pain drugs (Anacin, Excedrine, Alka Seltzer for example) and vitamin E supplements. Lots of herbal products can cause it too.....Hope that helps!

Welcome Safetydiva! And, thanks for the encouragement to ask doc next time I'm there. :smile:

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But I'd been running a nice hot bath, and straight away jumped in it, and 20 mins of soaking later the bruise had completely disappeared. Now how weird is that ? I wonder if the heat dissipated the bruise build-up in some way?

I will definitely try it again next time I get a nasty bump (although I can see logistical problems with getting straight to a bath when you're out on some bike trail in the middle of nowhere!).

Hi SS, that is wild and very cool! Even though your bruise was gone, did you still have the residual pain and local sensitivety?.

Yes, hard to get to a bath at any moment. hehe Wonder if a hot pack would have similar results?

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
the nurse in me is compelling me to weigh in. For bruises caused by trauma (bumps/falls/bloopers) with immediate swelling, these are contusions best treated with immediate ice and pressure to limit the swelling. If taking aspirin or advil or other meds that affect bleeding times, lay off of them for a couple of days (unless a doctor prescribes otherwise). After 24 hours, then heat to the area is not detrimental, and alternating heat/cold will help the bod absorb the junk around the bump.

But, for those Divas like me with small mystery bruises, without huge lumps and without knowing where the h*@! they came from, maybe we should eat more spinach.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
P.S.

Ziploc bags in the winter are great for these bumps/lumps. Just carry them along in the car. If you have a sore spot, pack it with snow and place it over the owie for the ride home. A head start on keeping the swelling and inflammation down.

altagirl

Staff member
the nurse in me is compelling me to weigh in. For bruises caused by trauma (bumps/falls/bloopers) with immediate swelling, these are contusions best treated with immediate ice and pressure to limit the swelling. If taking aspirin or advil or other meds that affect bleeding times, lay off of them for a couple of days (unless a doctor prescribes otherwise). After 24 hours, then heat to the area is not detrimental, and alternating heat/cold will help the bod absorb the junk around the bump.

But, for those Divas like me with small mystery bruises, without huge lumps and without knowing where the h*@! they came from, maybe we should eat more spinach.

I guess "not knowing where they came from" is an overstatement for me. But holy crap, after a weekend of DH mountain biking on an extremely rocky course, it looks like someone took a baseball bat to my legs. Good grief. I know a few of them were warranted, but there are a bunch that I don't really remember...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna