• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Can it ever snow too much at a ski resort?

angelkeys

Certified Ski Diva
Well, our wonderful lifties at our hill had to dig out the magic carpet lift and the terrain park and the lodge and the parking lot etc. etc. etc. It snowed and snowed and snowed for 48 hours. My boys shoveled about 3 feet out of our driveway too. Wow, can't wait to get to the hill and ski all that wonderful powder. :smile::D:bounce:

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Photos needed!!

I remember we got 6 feet of snow at Alpe D'Huez in France one Christmas, in fact it happened twice there. Took them a while to dig the resort out after that lot...

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Only until the lifts are dug out. :wink:
Sugarloaf, APRIL 10, 2007

ry%3D400

April 19, 2007
ry%3D400

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Answer is YES. At some point, it does become a safety issue. And, we do have to dig out those chairs, do snow safety work. Sometimes those lifts at the top have to wait for a day to open on really heavy snowfall days - resources have to be deployed judiciously. Sadly, those who do not work at the resorts do not understand this. They only want to get out and ski. A few take it out on the employees when the lifts aren't open right at the get-go. My least favorite work days are right after a big dump - too many nasty people yelling at us to open the d*mn lifts. I've been told I've personally ruined vacations because I didn't have all the lifts open on time....

angelkeys

Certified Ski Diva
Answer is YES. At some point, it does become a safety issue. And, we do have to dig out those chairs, do snow safety work. Sometimes those lifts at the top have to wait for a day to open on really heavy snowfall days - resources have to be deployed judiciously. Sadly, those who do not work at the resorts do not understand this. They only want to get out and ski. A few take it out on the employees when the lifts aren't open right at the get-go. My least favorite work days are right after a big dump - too many nasty people yelling at us to open the d*mn lifts. I've been told I've personally ruined vacations because I didn't have all the lifts open on time....

I wasn't even thinking about that aspect when I posted this thread.

But you are so absolutely right with that Slidergirl. I ski patrol and I am thinking how much wonderful, fluffy, deep powder there is at our mountain's backside ---- and how easily that could slide ---- and then we have to go and get people out even when they ignore closed signs:mad2::mad:!!!!!! I too have been told I was wrecking people's fun when I told them that the expansion is closed due to avalanche concerns.

However, we did get a big dump over the past 2 days and there is more coming tonight and I am looking forward to going skiing tomorrow (finally). Hopefully we can dig out and nobody does stupid stuff. And I'll get some pictures to post. :smile:

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For resort skiers, no, never too much snow unless the road closes.

For resort employees, yes. Like SG, the line folks, ski patrol, lift ops really struggle to dig out and keep us safe.

For b/c skiers, sometimes too much, restricting ski plans.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep! https://www.firsttracksonline.com/News/2010/12/15/Too-Much-Snow-Closes-Ontario-Ski-Resort/

Dec 15, 2010, Collingwood (ON), Canada - Skiers and riders would be hard pressed to describe "too much snow," but that was one Canadian ski resort's reasoning for shutting down operations on Tuesday.

Blue Mountain Resort in Collingwood suspended ski operations on Wednesday after a powerful winter storm brought blizzard-like conditions for three days, blocking most roads leading to the ski area. Winds also hampered lift operations.

Blue Mountain officials opted to reopen a dozen of the resort's runs and four lifts this morning.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna