• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Can I ski without boots? (plea for help)

SnowGlider

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just had a MISERABLE day of NONskiing.

I laced up my spiffy new Dalbello Electra 8s full of hope. Aaah! They felt wonderful!---in the lodge and on the lift, that is.

The second I started skiing I realized that I couldn't control my skis on fresh corduroy on an intermediate hill. Very bad sign. The tips were wavering from side to side. I couldn't get on my edges. I felt like I was slip sliding all over the place. The only way I could get minimal control was to cinch those babies up so tight the veins were popping out of my legs and I was in terrible pain.

Counter measures I took:

1) Took skis to repair shop for inspection. I had just had them tuned there. They were found to be perfect.

2) Went to the mountain sales shop. They lent me another pair of skis to see if the problem was the skis or the boots. My control did not improve, ergo that problem is the boots.

3) Removed the cuff spoiler, which was digging into my calf from having to tighten the top buckles so much. Didn't solve the problem.

4) Had the liners heat molded. No improvement.

5) Went to a nearby ski shop. They measured me and found my feet are size 25---perhaps 1/6" shy of 25. Boots are 25.5, but that doesn't matter because I have custom insoles; therefore 25.5 is identical to 25. The shop told me I should have at least tried on 24.5 when I bought the boots.

Shell test: There's room for 2 fingers behind my heel, which the shop described as a "comfort fit."

Shell + liner test: Standing up, my toes do touch the front of the boot. Flexing my knees the toes retract about 3/8". So it seems like the length is right.

My foot does not move noticeably side to side when I'm standing. The heel doesn't lift when I flex forward.

My foot: very wide forefoot due to bunions. Unusually narrow heel and achilles' tendon.

My theory: These boots are the right length, but they have too much volume overall. Do you agree??

When I'm skiing I can't say for sure that my foot is moving laterally. But the fact that I felt a need to tighten the boots so much indicates that the fit isn't close enough, right?

Possible solutions:
1) Try 24.5, although I doubt the store would exchange them as I skied 5 runs. And I suspect 24.5 would be too short, because my toes are already touching the end while standing.
2) Reduce the volume by adding another insole.
3) Wear heavier socks. I wear only liners because my feet get beastly hot.
4) Pack around my achilles' tendon.
5) Buy a totally different boot and try to get a closer fit.

My concern about trying to decrease the volume is that added padding always seems to pack out quickly.

Wow, what's going to happen to these boots when the liner packs out??? Seems like I'll REALLY be in trouble then.

I'm really, really discouraged at this point. Spent 2 weeks researching, trying on, buying, and returning boots. I thought I was making the best decision. Everything seemed right about this boot, but I can't ski in it.

One last thought: my previous boots (Nordica F 7.2) had no flex at all. I couldn't bend my knee at all. The Dalbello's have moderate flex. I suppose this flex difference would be unsettling initially even if the boots were perfect for me. But I ws expecting the flex to make me ski BETTER! Everyone who has seen me in this boot says the flex is just right for me.

Divas, I am in need of your wisdom. I'm going on a ski vacation next Monday and I have no boots (except my old ones). DRAT!

altagirl

Staff member
I have the same shape foot - wide forefoot, narrow heels/skinny ankles. They don't really make a boot for us. What's worked for me this year is the Atomic M110, with the "6th toe" area (the bunion by your pinky toe) blown out. I have about a 1/2 finger shell fit. I think I'd be swimming in a 2 finger fit.

I'd say they sound like they're possibly too big overall - both volume and length. I can guarantee that wearing thicker socks is only going to make the boots pinch in other places. I've tried it and it's just another form of torturing yourself. If they feel loose now, they'll just get worse as they break in.

HOWEVER

There is the possibility that if they're just really soft compared to what you're used to, maybe that's the problem (if your foot isn't actually shifting around). I haven't really run into that much myself, but the lack of control sounds like what my friends who have AT boots complain about when we're touring, and that's because they're soft (to be comfortable for long tours). Also - is the forward lean and canting adjustment set correctly? If those are off, you could also have some control issues.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Altagirl is hitting the marks on this one. I love my Dalbello Kryptons but they are a whole different boot than the Dalbello E8's

The dalbello line(outside the krypton series) is directed at a wider foot, which it seems you have in the forefoot, but if your ankle is narrow then this boot may not be the boot for you. If you got the boot at a reputable shop you may need to go to them and tell them the problem that you're having. I know the local shop gaurantees their boot fittings. If you're not happy with them after three fittings, they give you a full refund or store credit toward another boot. This may not be the boot for you.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Get a custom fit with a boot fitter, who will stand behind the fit and keep working with you. Don't worry about your toes touching the boot when standing-----they retract when you lean forward. I have long toes, bunions, narrow heels and, after three decades in boots too large, I went to Earl the majician in SLC and paid some bucks. Camber, toe lift, it's complex and there is great variability in how the fit science is applied across boot fitters. Making it tough to now what to do.

But, keep seeking, it is worth it---the boot fit is critical, more important than the skiis. I still am making adjustments, but Earl will stand by his work and work with me. My problem is after a couple of years of hiking and making long traverses in the boots, I think I've packed the custom liners out, so may need a tune up.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you decide to go with option 5, try Salomon. They claim to be designed with wide forefoot and narrow heel area. I have similar foot shape - no bunions, but I swear these things look like triangles, with the acute angle at the heel. The Salomons fit me well.

I agree that it seems like you have the right length.

altagirl

Staff member
dloveski said:
Get a custom fit with a boot fitter, who will stand behind the fit and keep working with you. Don't worry about your toes touching the boot when standing-----they retract when you lean forward. I have long toes, bunions, narrow heels and, after three decades in boots too large, I went to Earl the majician in SLC and paid some bucks. Camber, toe lift, it's complex and there is great variability in how the fit science is applied across boot fitters. Making it tough to now what to do.

But, keep seeking, it is worth it---the boot fit is critical, more important than the skiis. I still am making adjustments, but Earl will stand by his work and work with me. My problem is after a couple of years of hiking and making long traverses in the boots, I think I've packed the custom liners out, so may need a tune up.

Earl is my bootfitter too. It was an expensive project, that's for sure, but well worth the money since my feet are so comfortable.

And I used to ski Salomons (Women's X-wave 9) and they got really loose in the heel/ankle once they packed out. I kept having more pads added and it didn't help. The Atomic's I'm in now are a big improvement there.

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've got a similarly-shaped foot and am totally happy in Head World Cups. My custom footbeds don't influence the boot size choice--what about everybody else? Does your boot size generally change based on which footbeds you use? By the way, where are you? Also, you don't tuck anything (eg. liner pants) into the boot, do you?

SnowGlider

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks All

I gave up on the Dalbellos and exchanged them for Head E8. See continuing saga . . .

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga