• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Can graphics on an amazing ski stop its sales?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent point. Even if I liked the ski, I would not consider buying it if it had nudity or skulls or things that I find offensive. I think there is a difference between not liking the graphics and being offended by graphics.

I agree with this 100%.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here here--well said!!! But judging from your post you wouldn't want the crew of the Black Pearl, especially in the moonlight ?!

No indeed! :laugh: Though this does give me an idea for a costume for spring skiing next year...I wonder if I can get a Captain Jack Sparrow hat to fit over my helmet.....

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Graphics I find offensive (nudity, skulls, hip-hop stuff) will deter me from even looking twice at a ski. Other than that, however, I'll give anything a try, though when it comes to buying I'll at least think about the graphic.

I'm with you on this one too - also graphics that are too busy; I live in the "ice-belt" where my skis don't always get covered with snow as I ski - too busy can upset by equilibrium after a while...

...of course, my Volkl ACIIs have lovely, discrete, understated graphics & I'm still in love with how they ski, soo...:smile:

Skise

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I actually "need" skis I buy skis for how they ski. But then I also just look at the skis in the shops (real ones or on the net) and if something looks pretty I take a longer look, see what it is, what it costs and may even buy a pair (if it's cheap enough). I would not have my Lottas if I didn't think they were pretty.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Excellent point. Even if I liked the ski, I would not consider buying it if it had nudity or skulls or things that I find offensive. I think there is a difference between not liking the graphics and being offended by graphics.
Bingo!

And the point of this thread was to let the industry know that we can tell the difference.

altagirl

Staff member
When I actually "need" skis I buy skis for how they ski. But then I also just look at the skis in the shops (real ones or on the net) and if something looks pretty I take a longer look, see what it is, what it costs and may even buy a pair (if it's cheap enough). I would not have my Lottas if I didn't think they were pretty.

I think that's it - a topsheet that I like would encourage me to buy a pair of skis that I was waffling about. (There are plenty of skis that I LOVE the topsheets on, but if I don't have a purpose for it in my quiver, I'm not buying it.) But a topsheet I'm not crazy about wouldn't stop me from buying a ski that truly performs. Last time I demoed a bunch of skis, I ended up buying the ones with the topsheet I liked the absolute least. Go figure. They skied great and I found them on sale.

On the other hand, if the company manages to truly offend me in some way, through extremely violent graphics or offensive business practices or whatever - that would affect my purchasing as well. However, that's obviously nothing to do with just not liking a color, not liking flowers or bulls or bulls eating flowers... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

page3_2.jpg

Haha, this really makes me want to own a pair of these so I could name them Ferdinand.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh!! I love the story of Ferdinand the Bull. :clap:

Wait - are there skis with Ferdinand on them?? I would SO buy them. :eyebrows:

altagirl

Staff member

Wait - are there skis with Ferdinand on them?? I would SO buy them. :eyebrows:

No, just a purple bull. I was just rambling. :smile: But I would totally put a flower sticker on so he was eating a flower.

blizzardskis.gif

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
it is. I don't think the graphics Viva Magnums are anything special one way or the other. It seems as though they are something someone came up with when they didn't want to bother with graphics. Boring and nondescript if you ask me.

That's exactly my opinion of the Volkl graphics for their main line next year. I saw them and thought, "why would they do that and whose idea was it???" :loco:

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

X2!! We still have our copy and the "kids" are 25 and 21 LOL

I could probably be persuaded to "acquire" another pair of skis with Ferdinand in mind.

B

B.E.G.

That's exactly my opinion of the Volkl graphics for their main line next year. I saw them and thought, "why would they do that and whose idea was it???" :loco:

And ditto this too! I actually liked the Volkl graphics this past year - just elegant, clean, simple - next year's is bright but plan. Although I do like the bright pink of next year's Sol (and the green Estrella).

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like I'm in the minority here. The Black Pearl's graphics leave me cold.

What you can't tell from the image is that there's a glittery background with a scattering of sparkly stars . Really, it's like they took an elementary school girl's fantasy and plopped down a macho-looking bull over top. Totally schizo. I'm not a fan of flowery girly graphics, either. Just don't care for this.

As they say, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

They're still good skis. :smile:

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You know, I thought it needed eyeballs to. Or are they irises?

As a total aside, I think this is a girl bull, Black Pearl.

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are so many skis out there that I do not believe that there is only one ski that is THE ski for me. As such if the graphics are offensive (as many men twin tips are IMHO) then I would not buy the ski even if it is great. I am sure I would find another great ski out there without offensive graphics. I have no problem buying a "boring" top sheet or "neutral" like the Volkl Tierra for instance. When I bought the Dynastars I had the chance of buying the 2009 or the 2010. I chose the 2010 because I felt it had nicer graphics.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga