• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Can a person ski without poles?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You know, I'm changing my mind about poles, at least for what I need to do right now. I've been thinking about what I was taught a few weeks ago by a guy I met skiing (married and much older, unfortunately), but while watching men's super-G the other night I noticed that Ligety and other strong speed guys consistently hold their arms outward (but forward) during the transition from one turn to the next, and by the apex of the turn they've brought their arms in front of them, elbows slightly bent, as though they were punching their knuckles together (as opposed to the Superwoman clashing of bracelets :eyebrows:). Most of the female racers don't do this as consistently, but the strong aggressive ones with good balance do it more.
This move does 2 things.....it helps drive the weight and COM down the hill and it keeps them from getting their inside arm hooked up inside the gate which both throws you off balance and HURTS!

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied a season without poles after shoulder surgery- Got a helmet and kept my arm in a sling. It did wonders for my skiing. I skied the whole mountain - so I don't think it really limits you. It did piss off my snowboarding buddy since I couldn't give her my poles in the flats, but I could still skate :smile:

That said- I think they are pretty easy to learn to use, and well worth it. I would take a lesson and ask to focus on that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga