• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Camelbak

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For you hikers, what size Camelbak would you recommend for just day trip hiking? We'll usually go out for a portion of a day to go hiking, but that's about the extent of our hiking. In the past I've always just taken a water bottle or two. No overnight trips, since I'm generally not one for camping. Would you just go with the smallest size they make? Will their smallest size (1L I think?) also have room for snacks, etc. in the pack? I could just go to the store and look at the smallest size myself, but I'm curious what others have done.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
The smallest ones are pretty darn tiny, at least the ones we have around here. It comes down to what you want to take with you. We both ( DH and I) have variations on the expandable mules, which I think are great for day hiking. Here's what I would take on most day hikes: Water in bladder, sandwich/snacks, extra layer, camera and or binocs, small 1st aid kit, sun screen, lip balm, hat..I've found with the tiny ones you just can't get it all in.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I actually like the Geigerrig hydration packs better; they come in a variety of sizes. And you don't have to fill up the bladder to pressurize them, if you prefer not to. You can draw from them, just like a Camelback. I reviewed one in my blog a while ago, if you care to look here.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a GoLite fan. I have the Rush 8L. It's small enough to be comfortable on a ski lift, and big enough for light hiking and for cycling. I also have the VO24 pack. It's too bulky for skiing but be great for a day hike.
https://www.golite.com/packs-and-luggage/hydration-and-day-packs

What I pack: Water in bladder, sandwich/snacks, extra layer, small camera, sun screen, lip balm, keys, phone. A small 1st aid kit would be a smart addition.

Jilly

Staff member
My camelback has no room for anything but maybe keys. But I did buy it as a hydration pack to wear under my ski coat.

I also have the bladder that can go into a backpack. The backpack has a sleeve and holes for the tube. Then there is lots of room for anything else.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a GoLite fan. I have the Rush 8L. It's small enough to be comfortable on a ski lift, and big enough for light hiking and for cycling. I also have the VO24 pack. It's too bulky for skiing but be great for a day hike.
https://www.golite.com/packs-and-luggage/hydration-and-day-packs

What I pack: Water in bladder, sandwich/snacks, extra layer, small camera, sun screen, lip balm, keys, phone. A small 1st aid kit would be a smart addition.

I have to say, I like the prices on the GoLite bags!

abc

Banned
I use the mtn bike camelpak for just about everything: skiing, hiking, kayaking. I found the "standard" 70 oz bladder works perfectly. It's really just the right size for a few hours of hard riding, a short day of leisurely hiking, or a long day of paddling.

As for the pack size, it's personal. Some people hiking with the whole house on their back. Others only bring the car key. I would say consider at least room for a snack, and maybe even a camera.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On the subject of packs, I will be selling an Ortovox ski backpack next season. Bought it from a diva here, and didn't use it.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You might also check sunnysports.com. Last year they had some 70 oz. hydration packs for adults for as low as $19.95.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I actually like the Geigerrig hydration packs better; they come in a variety of sizes. And you don't have to fill up the bladder to pressurize them, if you prefer not to. You can draw from them, just like a Camelback. I reviewed one in my blog a while ago, if you care to look here.

I've got a Geigerrig 500 hydration pack which I've never used, and would like to sell. I'll post a picture if anyone's interested. I see them selling for about $100, but I would be happy to sell mine for $50 or more, shipping included. Let me know if you'd like a photo or any specs.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
We have a model by Camelbak that may no longer exist, but could with a newer moniker. Was called "Daystar" and could very well be what you're looking for, as ours has enough room for half-day hike requirements, plus a 70 oz bladder.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna