• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Calories Burned During Exercise

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I just found this chart that shows the calories you burn doing certain activities. You might want to check it out. Very interesting!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
According to that chart, it looks like I'm going for an hour run tonight to burn off the whoopie pie I ate this afternoon!!!:eek:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's one of the most complete charts I've seen including the adjustment for weight and matches pretty well with what sparkpeople and my HR monitor tell me. Nice resource.

altagirl

Staff member
That stuff can vary so much though. Even looking at the bicycling stuff - speed doesn't really measure effort/calories burned accurately. You could be seriously exerting yourself going slow up a steep hill or cruising fast coasting downhill. Or on technical terrain or smooth terrain or pavement...

Plus - it's funny to me that they're saying paddleboat and motocross burn the same amount of calories.

Um... MX is one of the most full body intense activities I can think of. I can't even fathom pushing myself on a track for an hour straight. But you can cruise around in a paddleboat barely moving your legs (and drinking a beer...) pretty much indefinitely. Or I guess you could be tooling around on a MX bike on flat ground barely exerting yourself at all, which is apparently what the person making the chart was envisioning...

Jilly

Staff member
Wow that neat. Ah, I've never heard of ski-mobiling - water??? I knew I was doing something right with the paddling - competitive.

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like "Sweeping garage, sidewalk"! That must be one heck of a garage to take a whole hour to sweep.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
What about "Farming, milking by hand"? My particular favorite.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I like "Sweeping garage, sidewalk"! That must be one heck of a garage to take a whole hour to sweep.
Ha! Come try sweeping mine in an hour at winter's end. The sand, mud and salt are generally 1+" thick under tire areas, and the stuff is "glued" to the concrete, requiring some serious muscle to loosen. Oh yeah, and it's 28 x 56. Takes me half a day, at least.

Some of these numbers are quite amusing. The low numbers for playing piano and drums. Hmmm, depends on the type of music. I've seen rock drummers sweat bullets, ditto pianists doing a tough piano concerto. Dripping.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna