• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Buying my first AT setup! What're the best year-round, all condition options?

MTskimama

Diva in Training
Hey everyone, first time posting here but have been reading through a ton of threads and found them all super helpful! Feel extremely lucky that I found this awesome group of similarly adventurous ladies!

I've been a life-long resort skier/snowboarder and decided this is finally the year to invest in a backcountry setup. I've been doing some research online, but feel overwhelmed by the options, so would love any guidance you all can provide.

I'm not yet ready to make a huge investment in a multi-ski quiver, and already have a dedicated resort setup, so I'm looking for something that will be my year-round, all condition backcountry setup. Based on this article that was shared in another thread, it sounds like I'm looking mostly for an All Mountain setup.

I live in Bozeman, MT, so we usually have lots of super light and fluffy cold smoke powder days that stick around for a while, so a powder-oriented setup is likely the way to go. I'm new to backcountry and admittedly a total wuss when it comes to avalanche risk, so although I'm comfortable on super advanced terrain in the resorts, I'll likely be sticking to more mellow, low avalanche risk areas in the backcountry. My husband is also into ice climbing, so I'd also end up using this setup to access some of those climbing areas on a fairly regular basis. I may eventually progress beyond that once I feel super solid with my avy skills, but by that time I'd be ready to invest in a different setup.

I've come across a few different options that seem like a good fit. Would love any thoughts and advice, or other suggestions if you have them!
Blizzard Zero G 95/105
K2 Wayback 96/106
Dynafit Free 97/107
Atomic Backland 98/107
Armada Trace 98/108

I haven't even begun to scratch the surface on binding/boot research, so if you have any recommendations on that as well it would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m in the just starting out place too for backcountry but I think a good question would be what brands consistently make skis you like for resort? Each company seems to have its own take on how their skis feel and that might be a place to start. Also several ski divas have been posting about Moment skis lately. @arbusch recently posted about her new backcountry setup from them.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've helped a lot of women buy setups and have skied / owned a few of those on your list. It'd be super helpful to know what you own / like as an inbound ski, not so much to buy the same brand, but to get you on a ski with similar characteristics, shapes, and a similar spot on the scale of nimbleness & stability.

Likewise, the amount of vert in your tours and / or your cardio capacity is another important stat. I have friends with a 1-ski quiver and some go a little wider since they mostly ski in mid-winter in the PNW. Our snowpack is super wet and it's nice to stay on top of the snow. I have other friends who went narrower because they ski a lot in spring and summer with 6000-7000 ft days on the volcanos. They go with a narrower, lighter ski that still has a tip shape that floats pretty well in powder, like the Backland 98 or Dynastar M Tour 99. It's not primo for either, but a really solid compromise for very different touring needs.

In terms of your options:
- For the Zero G and pre-2024 Wayback, I'd go with the wider waists. Neither ski has the rocker or the softness in the tips to plane super well and are a bit better for a skier that's going to dabble equally in soft snow, corn, firm conditions, crud, etc. Next year's Wayback is getting more tip rocker, and I think it'll improve its overall versatility.
- The Trace line was discontinued, but still buyable on some clearance racks. Their weight puts them more on the cusp between a true touring and 50/50 ski, similar to the Volkl Blaze. The new Locator 96 & 104 would be more in line with the models on your list.
- Most of these skis are pretty similar. They have a moderate amount of tip rocker, somewhat flat / completely flat tails, a directional flex pattern, and a poplar / paulownia / balsa core with a carbon laminate. They provide a good amount of stability in a shorter (and therefore lighter) package (I usually ski a 100-soemthing ski in a 169-174, but I'd round down to the 167 for the Backland 107). They also tend to have a very "vanilla" feel to them. The Backlands would be such a boring inbounds ski, but I forgive them when they're super light on the uphill. It's really hard to go incredibly wrong from this group. But on the flip side, if you like a twin tip ski, there really aren't any options outside of the Visions / Pandora 110 (same ski as the Vision 108). If you like a ski with a lot of "bend and pop" when you turn, carbon's too stiff to really create that flex pattern, and adding ~100g will open up more options.
- Within that close range, the Zero G tends to be the burliest / least forgiving. They've watered them down twice to make them a little more approachable and improve the suspension, so that difference is a little less extreme. The Waybacks tend to be on the more accessible, nimble side. Backlands tend to sit in between.

I also wrote a detailed review of the Backland 98s if it's helpful: https://femignarly.com/2023/03/28/gear-review-atomic-backland-98-w-skis/

echo_VT

Angel Diva
I think for the downhill you'll want to go 100+ underfoot based on where you are and what you'll ski when in the backcountry (bottomless pow, let's hope!). I skied similar conditions to you recently (maybe just north of you?) and had narrower and wider skis with me. on the downhill I preferred 100+ underfoot. that said, b/c of the added weight, depending on if you think you'll do half days or longer full day tours. go with a purposefully light ski that slays powder for the full day. I think if you'll primarily choose the half day (shorter tours), choose whatever floats your boat.

And that makes sense to me. For long tours, trying to get to that untouched pow. and once you're there, you'll want to lap it. Won't want a heavy ski to sap your energy and leave you nothing on the downhill. For short tours, you can lap it and still be done in a half day and it's fine if it's a heavier ski. This is at least the way I think about it!

Awesome review from @Analisa ! I know someone on the Atomic Backlands 107 and she says it gets the job done, she likes it enough on the way up and on the way down, and she got a deal on it.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
They go with a narrower, lighter ski that still has a tip shape that floats pretty well in powder
I have this as well. It's a little weird to ski in powder at first (88 waist with a huge rocker shovel for it's size), but after getting used to them, they're fine. the shovel is the same size as my 106 waist skis FWIW

MTskimama

Diva in Training
Thank you @SarahXC @Analisa and @echo_VT !! This is all super helpful!

I definitely think I'll go with something over 100 underfoot given what you've all shared. I'd likely be going on mostly half-day missions, with a few full-day missions sprinkled in. There would be at least a few thousand feet of vert on average for the areas I'm planning on focusing on, but it'd be rare for me to have a 6K+ vert day (because I'm an avalanche wuss).

Over the last 20 years I've primarily snowboarded, but in the last few seasons I've used some super old K2s for hardpack days and an old ~2015 ON3P ski for the few powder days I'm not snowboarding inbounds. I'm not a huge fan of the ON3Ps to be honest, but I also don't have another powder ski reference, so that unfortunately doesn't give you all helpful info as far as preferences go. I tend to be a hard charging aggressive skier, and like something that is more responsive and poppy for glades etc.

Someone also mentioned the Moment Bella Tour 108 and the Voile Hypercharger 106. Do any of you have thoughts on those? I'm 5'6" so would likely go for the 172/171s in those since 162 may be too short for me.

As far as boots go, I'm torn between the Scarpa F1s and the Technica Zergo G Tour Pro boots. The Technicas are much heavier, but I hear the Scarpa F1 and F1 LT can be cold and we get quite a few super cold days here in Montana. I'm also a more confident snowboarder than skier, so I'm thinking it may make sense to go with a stiffer boot that's more similar to an inbounds boot to give me a bit more stability. My foot is average width, so it looks like the narrow and wide boots are off the table for me.

beane

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you @SarahXC @Analisa and @echo_VT !! This is all super helpful!

I definitely think I'll go with something over 100 underfoot given what you've all shared. I'd likely be going on mostly half-day missions, with a few full-day missions sprinkled in. There would be at least a few thousand feet of vert on average for the areas I'm planning on focusing on, but it'd be rare for me to have a 6K+ vert day (because I'm an avalanche wuss).

Over the last 20 years I've primarily snowboarded, but in the last few seasons I've used some super old K2s for hardpack days and an old ~2015 ON3P ski for the few powder days I'm not snowboarding inbounds. I'm not a huge fan of the ON3Ps to be honest, but I also don't have another powder ski reference, so that unfortunately doesn't give you all helpful info as far as preferences go. I tend to be a hard charging aggressive skier, and like something that is more responsive and poppy for glades etc.

Someone also mentioned the Moment Bella Tour 108 and the Voile Hypercharger 106. Do any of you have thoughts on those? I'm 5'6" so would likely go for the 172/171s in those since 162 may be too short for me.

As far as boots go, I'm torn between the Scarpa F1s and the Technica Zergo G Tour Pro boots. The Technicas are much heavier, but I hear the Scarpa F1 and F1 LT can be cold and we get quite a few super cold days here in Montana. I'm also a more confident snowboarder than skier, so I'm thinking it may make sense to go with a stiffer boot that's more similar to an inbounds boot to give me a bit more stability. My foot is average width, so it looks like the narrow and wide boots are off the table for me.
I have the tecnica zero g tour scout W and it's still a *really* light ski boot. I believe they call it a 115 flex but its def not as still as my 105 downhill boot.. I think touring boots just rarely are, esp if they are of the lightweight variety. I have an average width/low volume foot and they fit well. Though I did add custom insoles for a bit more cushion. I'd recommend trying on various models though, it's so hard to tell what will fit just based on written stuff/reviews.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
I just did this review of the Scarpa F1 GT (not the LT, as I tried the LT but didn't like the ankle hold for my low volume foot):

I was colder in my Scarpa F1 GTs than my Scarpa Gea's, but if you're moving, I don't believe you'll stay cold. However I did long tours on spring days so it's hard to tell. I did shorter tours throughout winter and I did notice that it would get cold...! I ended up just using my heated Lenz socks after some time!

and here is the review of Moment Bella Tour by @arbusch :

Take a look!

echo_VT

Angel Diva
I'm thinking it may make sense to go with a stiffer boot that's more similar to an inbounds boot to give me a bit more stability.
from this comment, I would say the Scarpa Gea's give me much more stability when touring in mixed conditions. they are both (scarpa Gea and scarpa F1 GT) are about 90 flex, and the Gea is more burly than the F1 GT but neither are not as stiff as my downhill race boots which are Lange and 90 flex.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you have a picture of both skis you're using inbounds? Even though they're old, I can figure out what they are and some of the design elements. Especially for the ON3P powder skis - their Jeffreys/Jesses/Kartels are all super playful and progressive. The Wrenegades & Billy Goats are really stiff and directional. So either way, we can move you a little more in the other direction.

For the Bellas, you'd be adding a smidgen of weight, and you'll also want to go a smidgen longer since there's a lot more rocker in the tips and tails. They'll be a little more nimble than the other ones on your list and have that surfy, pivoty feel more like snowboarding. There's be a bit of a trade off with edgehold in firm / spring conditions if you're hunting for the safest avy conditions. Definitely versatile enough to get the job done, but they'll thrive on hardpack a little less than the others.
1681505653395.png

For boots, I'd decide that in tandem with skis. I think the Zero Gs match any of the skis on your list well, but if you lean towards some of the heavier, wider, burlier skis like the Bellas, a 2-buckle boot like the F1s will likely be a weak link in the power chain as energy transfers from body to boot to binding to ski. Both have super thin liners (and the Zero Gs fall apart so quickly. I'm 2 seasons in and there's a hole in the heel). I'd get the boot that best meets your needs and then fix any warmth issues with a thicker aftermarket liner, heated insoles, heated socks, etc.

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep I would focus on a ski in the 100-108 width range.

Either the tecnica zero g or scarpa gea or something similar will work depending on what you love when you try them on. I have Raynuad's and the scarpa gear rs with toe warmers and boot gloves for cold days and my feet stay warm. I do feel the scarpa gea have bit too much volume for my low volume feet. I might next year try the tecnica zero g but with different liners than the stock liners. A conversation with a boot fitter needs to happen in my future.

Yes I just got the moment Bella tour and love them and got them in the 172 length and I am 5'5". So an option if you enjoy a ski with that feel and shape.

It is okay to start mellow and to be scared of avalanches. They are scary. I have lost friends to the mountains.

Even skiing the mellow stuff in the backcountry could still expose you to avalanche terrain. Find a friend who is willing to teach you and start watching the weather and learning how to identify avalanche problems and managing terrain. Take an avy class. It takes time to learn but makes skiing in the backcountry more enjoyable because you also learn where the good snow is and when you to dial it back and when you dial it up. I also encourage to self reflect on your communication and conflict style. I want partners that will speak up and directly to me about our decision in the backcountry and will listen and respect me when feel the decision is unsafe and vice versa. I won't ski with certain individuals because they don't value or listen to me or others who just rely on me as a guide on big objectives just go along with whatever I decide. I think your confidence grows with more knowledge and being in a supportive environment and finding your voice.

I can't believe it's been 18 years of backcountry skiing for me, which is what I do mainly in the winter. Thinking how much I have grown blows my mind.

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My best girlfriend is on the voile hypercharger and loves them and tried to convince me to buy them. She loves them a ton and tells me everytime we ski together. Yet I now do that with the bellas. She is more of a directional, solid skier. I knew I like a more surfy, poppy ski but still feels stable which is why I went with the moment Bella tour.

Junmei

Diva in Training
I started bc last season and got the Blizzard Zero G 95 (171), Dynafit rotation bindings, Technica Cochise 105 hybrid boots w/Zipfit liners. The skis are awesome on the up and are great for most low angle days, but any more than 8 inches and they can’t really float. They handle crud, chop, and hard pack well enough for me to be confident in them, and I’m glad I didn’t go with a lighter ski (big thanks to the woman at the shop who heard all the bad advice I was getting and came out to steer me towards this set up!). This has been a great set up for my first and second seasons. I’m venturing into ski mountaineering this spring, and can report back how they behave in steeper terrain during spring conditions out here. Avy conditions during prime powder out here are too dangerous for my risk tolerance, so these have been good for what I have skied so far.

I demo’d a pair of Moment Sierras (172/99 underfoot) after reading the feel alive post () during some massive snow in Utah a couple weeks back and was so impressed. They ski very differently than any skis I’ve had before, and I found that the stance I needed for those skis was a stance I’d prefer in the bc (I felt centered and couldn’t lean too far forward). Also, they demolished 14 inch powder with only 99 underfoot, which was so fun. They also handled chop and crud well. There is a tour specific version, but part of me thinks it may be too light for me given the conditions out here and my body, so I’m thinking of getting a pair of the regulars and popping on some shift bindings to use as my resort set up and give me options for hybrid or powder days. I didn’t demo the Bella’s but hear only good things! I wish Moment made more sizes for women’s skis - my cousin (moment sponsored full disclosure) looked at me skiing and told me to go with 174 or 176, which is only avail in men’s ski (and is heavier/wider).

I like my boots but did get zip fits because I have a lot of wonky foot/ankle/shin stuff going on. I also need a lower volume boot. I have bad circulation so I do wear toe warmers until it’s above freezing on my approach. I’d probably go with a stiffer more touring oriented boot next time, but don’t feel the need to switch those up yet.

Reference points: I’m 5’8”, ~145-150, ski fast and aggressive, resort: enjoy chutes and hike to terrain but don’t take on super narrow chutes or jump off anything (recovery takes so long now I’m mid/late 30s!); bc: have stayed low angle (and like trees) with max moderate avy conditions (aiare 1 & companion rescue courses complete). Mostly ski CO (and am looking for friends in case there are any Divas out here!).

Last edited:

MTskimama

Diva in Training
Thank you all for all the amazing advice! This thread was super helpful and made me feel really informed walking into my local shop.

Without further ado, my new setup:

Boots: Salomon MTN Summit Pro.
These are SO comfortable for my foot (95 last with super high arches), it felt like I was walking around in slippers! Because of how the sizing of the Scarpa boots broke the F1s and LTs couldn't work for me, even with a liner added if I sized up. The Tecnica Zero G Scout was a little tight in the mid-foot area for me. The woman helping me in the shop also told me they've had multiple people come in with huge blisters around their outer ankle ball with the Tecnicas. After she mentioned it I noticed a bulge in the liner around that area that I could definitely see rubbing on a long tour. I also tried the Fischer Transalp Tour, which was a close second, but it just couldn't compete with the comfiness of the Salomon boot.

Skis: Black Crows Camox Freebird in a 164, 95 width.
Ended up going narrower than I was planning, but I've seen these all over the area and a few people in the shop mentioned that this ski handles powder (and basically all other conditions) really well. It seems like this is a ski that will grow with me as I get more comfortable in the BC. I was originally leaning towards the Moment Bellas (the folks at the shop also spoke very highly of them), but unfortunately they only had a 162 or a 179. I checked everywhere online and there was only 1 pair left on Evo in my size that you had to call to reserve that was also ~$250 more expensive than what my local shop was offering.

Bindings: Salomon MTN binding (which is the same as the Atomic Backland binding).
For what I was looking for this will get the job done. Simple, easy to use, and nothing too sophisticated with good durability.

The shop gave me everything for 40-60% off, so I got an amazing price for the whole setup. If anyone is in the Bozeman area I highly recommend Uphill Pursuits. They were super knowledgable, friendly, and not pretentious.

Can't wait to get this new setup out this weekend!!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you all for all the amazing advice! This thread was super helpful and made me feel really informed walking into my local shop.

Without further ado, my new setup:

Boots: Salomon MTN Summit Pro.
These are SO comfortable for my foot (95 last with super high arches), it felt like I was walking around in slippers! Because of how the sizing of the Scarpa boots broke the F1s and LTs couldn't work for me, even with a liner added if I sized up. The Tecnica Zero G Scout was a little tight in the mid-foot area for me. The woman helping me in the shop also told me they've had multiple people come in with huge blisters around their outer ankle ball with the Tecnicas. After she mentioned it I noticed a bulge in the liner around that area that I could definitely see rubbing on a long tour. I also tried the Fischer Transalp Tour, which was a close second, but it just couldn't compete with the comfiness of the Salomon boot.

Skis: Black Crows Camox Freebird in a 164, 95 width.
Ended up going narrower than I was planning, but I've seen these all over the area and a few people in the shop mentioned that this ski handles powder (and basically all other conditions) really well. It seems like this is a ski that will grow with me as I get more comfortable in the BC. I was originally leaning towards the Moment Bellas (the folks at the shop also spoke very highly of them), but unfortunately they only had a 162 or a 179. I checked everywhere online and there was only 1 pair left on Evo in my size that you had to call to reserve that was also ~$250 more expensive than what my local shop was offering.

Bindings: Salomon MTN binding (which is the same as the Atomic Backland binding).
For what I was looking for this will get the job done. Simple, easy to use, and nothing too sophisticated with good durability.

The shop gave me everything for 40-60% off, so I got an amazing price for the whole setup. If anyone is in the Bozeman area I highly recommend Uphill Pursuits. They were super knowledgable, friendly, and not pretentious.

Can't wait to get this new setup out this weekend!!
So...how was the weekend?

MTskimama

Diva in Training
Hey everyone!

Finally had a chance to get out on the skis a few times over the last week or so! It was definitely an adjustment getting used to the lighter weight of the skis, but after a few laps I got the hang of things. The skis were great - easy on the uphill and solid on the downhill. Conditions were heavier and wetter than mid-season, more of a cream cheese day, but the skis were able to handle it well. The boots were super comfy, and the bindings were a breeze to use.

As I get more days in I'll keep you all posted. So far loving my new setup!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga