• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Buying AT boots

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello Divas,
I've recently decided that I would like to jump on self-powered skiing bandwagon. Yes, my Teleskier bf does have a little to do with it, but I've realized there are plenty of smaller hills down here south of Boston that would be perfect for an afterwork or snowday skin.
Time to start shopping for new gear! (Mainly boots and bindings as I plan to swap out the bindings on my Kenja's, at least for now)
I feel like I'm starting from scratch when it comes to gear though! So I have a few questions regarding boots:
- Is there a difference between Randonee and Alpine Touring?
-Are AT boots as challenging to fit as regular alpine boots? Is trying on essential still or can I look online?
-Do typical ski shops carry them or will I need a more specialized store? What about trying boots on at a place like REI?
-What features are essential?
-Should I be looking for a similar flex as my current boots?
-Any brands that you have had good luck with vs. those I should stay away from?

Thanks for your help as always!

Lexiski

Certified Ski Diva
Hey Marymack!

AT boots will usually be a half or whole size larger than your alpine boot (if you have a very tight performance fit).
This is because your feet swell a little bit while ascending, so you need a little more volume to accommodate your feet comfortably during a tour.

My advice to you is try on as many pairs as you possibly can, attend gear swaps, demos, visit shops, etc to figure out which brand works best for your foot shape.
I started out with Scarpa boots, but I'm beginning t realize that though they are very comfy on the ascent, the flex is way too soft and they throw me into the backseat so violently that I can't comfortably ski.
It's a tough balance to find a good boot that will be comfy on the ascent, but provide the support you need to actually enjoy skiing on the decent.

Some ski shops will carry AT boots, but not all. I would guess that the majority of shops back east won't carry a vast selection of AT boots, so REI or EMS are probably your best bet.

Some models have interchangeable tongues so you can swap them out up top for a stiffer flexing boot on the decent. I would say yes, hunt for a similar flex in your alpine boot, but keep in mind that flex is a fairly 'relative' term. Flex between brands is seldom similar, and it's really only 'safe' to compare flex between models within the same brand.
I would keep an eye out for a solid, well constructed heel-retention strap. Scarpa seems to do this very nicely. This is the strap that crosses atop the boot where the shaft begins, it keeps your heel in place while hiking to help prevent blisters.

On that note, I also use Johnson & Johnson's blister block and it's wonderful. It's in a little blue package and shaped like a miniature deodorant container. It's basically a greasy, Vaseline-like stick you rub on your ankles and heels. I've found it works very well to help prevent blisters - as my boots seem prone to blister creation. :cry:

One of my co-workers at Backcountry.com, Bill would actually be an awesome resource for you. He is a gearhead in our Customer Service dept.
I would be happy to put you in touch with him if you like.

Attachments

• Scarpa.JPG
    Scarpa.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 4

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First you need to decide which bindings you will be using. If your hill is not too big and and you are not planning to do half-day ascents you can go for a heavier frame bindings like Barons/Guardians or Fritschis, in which case you can just as well skin in your normal Alpine boots. Even if they don't have a walk mode unbuckling them should allow for the necessary range of motion.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FWIW - as someone who has an AT setup and has skinned and skied in it a few times, but not a ton - my AT boots are the same size as my downhill boots, fitted by the same bootfitter. I don't have problems with swelling or with chafing. My boots are Scarpas and do not have a heel-retention strap. I think as with downhill boots, a good fit is key. It took me a number of visits and tweaks before my boots felt comfortable; I love them now.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
- Is there a difference between Randonee and Alpine Touring?
-Are AT boots as challenging to fit as regular alpine boots? Is trying on essential still or can I look online?
-Do typical ski shops carry them or will I need a more specialized store? What about trying boots on at a place like REI?
-What features are essential?
-Should I be looking for a similar flex as my current boots?
-Any brands that you have had good luck with vs. those I should stay away from?

Thanks for your help as always!

1) Not really, that's more the European term for it. Stateside, you'll see 'randonee' used mostly in the context of racing. Think really skinny skis and people in spandex suits counting every ounce of their kit. AT is a broader term, usually used to denote backcountry skiing, generally NOT on tele gear...
2.) I would say that depends on your foot. If you have a lot of trouble finding the right fit of a regular alpine boot, might be best to try a bunch of boots on first. I've had my alpine boots planed to accommodate a longer right leg. With the Vibram sole on the bottom of an AT boots, this is not going to be possible. However, the leg length thing is really only noticeable on hardpack, since it rectifies it self in soft powder snow, so that particular thing is not going to be an issue. You can have toe punches and such done to your AT boots. I spent a morning at the Mountaineer in Keene Valley with a buddy of mine just before Christmas, getting his new Dynafit boots stretch out to fit right before his Ski Guide course in BC....
3.) You can look online to see what's available and compare models. Wild Snow and TetonAT generally have great reviews of AT gear. That could help you narrow down your list of what to try on or what features to look for in a boot at the store. REI probably has some, EMS... meh. Not a lot of selection and maybe 1-2 models in their biggest stores. If you are in MA, the best thing would be if you can get up to North Conway. Hit up EMS, Ragged Mountain (best selection in North Conway) and IME to try on boots. The Outdoor Gear Exchange in Burlington has probably the best selection of AT gear in the NE. Another option is the Adirondack Backcountry Ski Fest in Keene Valley, NY. Its being held March 7-8. They will be having free demos of boots, skis and bindings from BD, Scarpa, Dynafit, Voile and Kastle on Saturday from 10-3. Great way to try some stuff out before you buy! More info on that here https://www.mountaineer.com/ski-fest/
4.) Binding compatibility, easy transition from ski/walk mode, fit with a standard crampon, the right stiffness for how aggressive you want to ski, WEIGHT
5.) You could start with the same flex as your current alpine boot, but since most manufacturers of AT boots don't make alpine boots and vise versa AND flex is measured different by each manufacturer, this would really be a rough starting point only.
6.) Avoid the new Scarpa F1 Evos. They have just all been recalled. Dynafit makes some of the best and lightest boots on the market for AT. Some of their new models even come with a stiffener insert that you can leave in your backpack on the way up, but then put into the boot before you ski to give them more stiffness. Black Diamond makes some great boots and Scarpa makes some nice boots too (just not those F1 Evos!) Even some of the bigger name alpine guys are making tech-binding compatible boots. I think I saw a Fischer boot like this? In fact, I was just reading that Fischer has some deal with Dynafit, where they are selling Dynafit products, just with the Fischer brand on it- the Fischer Kingpins are really a Dynafit binding. I believe I saw somewhere that you are a ski instructor/PSIA member, so that might help you get a discount on gear.

I would first try to decide what type of binding you want to use. Frame bindings are beefier, but significantly heavier. So if you plan to do a lot of short tours, or really aggressive skiing on the down, these are your best bet. Tech bindings, like the classic Dynafit binding, are really light weight and have become the standard for AT. These would not be recommended if you plan to huck big cliffs or you are going to ski a lot of bumps with them at the resort. That being said, I know several folks here in the NE that have one ski quiver- a light mid-fat ski with Dynafit bindings for resort skiing or backcountry touring. (More info about choosing the right binding here. https://www.wildsnow.com/bindings/dynafit-backcountry-skiing-bindings/)

Once you decide what binding will best suit your needs, that will help narrow boots down.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna