• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Bump Skiing Clinics/advice

jenniferm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Didn't want to hijack W8N2SKI's thread, so starting one to address the non-gear aspects....

OK, 2016/17 is my year to get proficient in the bumps, and I'd appreciate any thoughts as to how a city-bound 9-5'er can best progress.

Some background on me: I can ski most single black runs reasonably comfortably, but it gets ugly pretty fast on double blacks or difficult conditions. I'd say I ski a green line in the bumps, but not with any style or a lot of consistently.

I'm 5'3" and about 102lbs, and practice another sport at a level where personal fitness makes a big difference, so I'm in pretty good shape. My ski buddy for the last few years has been a former PSIA Level III instructor from the no mercy school of skiing, so although I'm a (late) baby boomer I'm not decrepit. On the other hand, I haven't had a lot of formal lessons and tend not to pick up on drills and exercises quickly. I'm a determined skier and I'm not fearful although I wouldn't call myself aggressive either.

I signed up for the Jan 11-13 Bumps for Boomers session at Aspen, but not I'm sure it's the right fit--as someone commented in the previous thread, it seems to be aimed at more of a terminal intermediate, somewhat older crowd. It's expensive enough so that although I'm OK with it if it's a real investment in my skiing, I will be seriously annoyed if it's not the level I need.

So, divas, some questions:
1. Does anyone have any experience with Bumps for Boomers and can comment?

2. What are some other alternatives? I'd probably prefer a women's clinic, but they all seem to be around March. I'm looking for something earlier in the season so I have the rest of the winter to practice.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I teach at Snowmass and know some of the instructors in the Bumps for Boomers program. I have not attended the classes so I can't comment.

You might be better off with a private lesson to maximize your on snow time and to proceed at your pace. You don't say where you live so not sure about what resorts you have access to in the early season.

There are several instructors at Snowmass who are great bump teachers. (not me). If that is something you are interested in, let me know and I can get you some names.

jenniferm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Didn't want to hijack W8N2SKI's thread, so starting one to address the non-gear aspects....

OK, 2016/17 is my year to get proficient in the bumps, and I'd appreciate any thoughts as to how a city-bound 9-5'er can best progress.

Some background on me: I can ski most single black runs reasonably comfortably, but it gets ugly pretty fast on double blacks or difficult conditions. I'd say I ski a green line in the bumps, but not with any style or a lot of consistency.

I'm 5'3" and about 102lbs, and practice another sport at a level where personal fitness makes a big difference, so I'm in pretty good shape. My ski buddy for the last few years has been a former PSIA Level III instructor from the no mercy school of skiing, so although I'm a (late) baby boomer I'm not decrepit. On the other hand, I haven't had a lot of formal lessons and I'm not a gifted athlete, so I tend not to pick up on drills and exercises quickly. I'm a determined skier and I'm not fearful although I wouldn't call myself aggressive either.

I signed up for the Jan 11-13 Bumps for Boomers session at Aspen, but not I'm sure it's the right fit--as someone commented in the previous thread, it seems to be aimed at more of a terminal intermediate, somewhat older crowd. It's expensive enough so that although I'm OK with it if it's a real investment in my skiing, I will be seriously annoyed if it's not the level I need.

So, Divas, some questions:
1. Does anyone have any experience with Bumps for Boomers and can comment?

2. What are some other alternatives? I'd probably prefer a women's clinic, but they all seem to be around March. I'm looking for something earlier in the season so I have the rest of the winter to practice.
3. Sorry, posted too soon! I'm also looking for folks who might be interested in skiing this winter in either New England/Canada or out West. I'm in NYC, hoping to find something like the Ski Club of Washington DC or Boston Ski and Sports Club. So far, no luck. And of course if there are any other Divas planning a get-together, I'd be up for that.

Thanks in advance for any input/advice!

3. Sorry, posted too soon! I'm also looking for folks who might be interested in skiing this winter in either New England/Canada or out West. I'm in NYC, hoping to find something like the Ski Club of Washington DC or Boston Ski and Sports Club. So far, no luck. And of course if there are any other Divas planning a get-together, I'd be up for that.

I'm in CT and we have an insane amount of ski clubs here. Part of my ski club membership gives me access to New York Ski Council discount days as well.

Perhaps you can check out the new york ski council for links to New York ski clubs.

https://www.metnyski.org/

My local ski resorts are as follows:

Ski Butternut in Great Barrington, Mass (western Mass), just started teaching there last season, 1 season under my belt.

Mount Snow, Vermont
Bromley, Vermont

I've also been known to hit up Killington, Loon and the eastern townships in Quebec (Sutton, Orford, Owls Head)

I also plan to make a return visit to Jay Peak this winter and check out Wild Cat in New Hampshire.

If you ever find yourself heading to any of these places message me.

jenniferm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I teach at Snowmass and know some of the instructors in the Bumps for Boomers program. I have not attended the classes so I can't comment.

You might be better off with a private lesson to maximize your on snow time and to proceed at your pace. You don't say where you live so not sure about what resorts you have access to in the early season.

There are several instructors at Snowmass who are great bump teachers. (not me). If that is something you are interested in, let me know and I can get you some names.
Thanks skier31, maybe it would make sense for me to speak to some of your contacts and try to nail down what Bumps for Boomers is actually like? I'm open to private lessons but I don't love the idea of a whole trip skiing alone.

jenniferm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in CT and we have an insane amount of ski clubs here. Part of my ski club membership gives me access to New York Ski Council discount days as well.

Perhaps you can check out the new york ski council for links to New York ski clubs.

https://www.metnyski.org/

My local ski resorts are as follows:

Ski Butternut in Great Barrington, Mass (western Mass), just started teaching there last season, 1 season under my belt.

Mount Snow, Vermont
Bromley, Vermont

I've also been known to hit up Killington, Loon and the eastern townships in Quebec (Sutton, Orford, Owls Head)

I also plan to make a return visit to Jay Peak this winter and check out Wild Cat in New Hampshire.

If you ever find yourself heading to any of these places message me.
Thank you so much surfsnowgirl, the metnyski site took me right to it-- I knew there had to be something in New York! although if you have heard good things about any of the Connecticut ski clubs, that works for me too.

I skied Jiminy a lot as a kid, and my nephew is in school in Lee. So Butternut is a good possibility. I'd be up for any of the others as well if I didn't have to do all the driving alone.

marzNC

Angel Diva

Keeping posting and soon you'll be able to see more of the Divas Only threads. That's where Diva Weeks are discussed. Going to Aspen this season. There is also a get together in the northeast later in the season.

I have the advantage of being retired, so have more flexibility scheduling ski trips. Did a ski club trip once. Found that for me it's been easier and more fun to arrange a ski week with a few friends. Last year we went to Sun Valley, Alta, and Aspen. A couple friends could only make it for a week so skied Alta and Aspen. This season we are going to Taos for a Taos Ski Week.

My sense of a Taos Ski Week is that it would be a better value for me than Bumps for Boomers. Less than $200 for 2-hour lessons in the morning for six days in a row, with the same instructor. When Taos was added to the Mountain Collective Pass (MCP) last season, that sealed the deal for my next new mountain out west.

By the way, I grew up in NYC.

Thank you so much surfsnowgirl, the metnyski site took me right to it-- I knew there had to be something in New York! although if you have heard good things about any of the Connecticut ski clubs, that works for me too.

I skied Jiminy a lot as a kid, and my nephew is in school in Lee. So Butternut is a good possibility. I'd be up for any of the others as well if I didn't have to do all the driving alone.

The 2 clubs we're affiliated with are Ski Bears and Pinnacle which are both in southwestern CT. I also like the New Haven Ski Club's facebook page so get news from them too.

I love Lee, eat downtown quite a bit. I/we are usually up there for the weekend so am at Butternut at least a couple weekends a month. I've never been to Jiminy. CT Ski counsel which is part of my membership to the ski bears affords many, many discounts. NY is the same..... so many discounts.

I'm definitely all for sharing the driving.

Here are the discounts for new york ski council

https://www.metnyski.org/specialdiscounts.html

This includes lift tickets for $40 at Butternut, although I get a few free passes a season since I work there so if you ever wanted to try it out I can get you a ticket.

jenniferm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Much appreciated, surfsnowgirl-- I'd definitely like to try Butternut!

Jiminy is a decent local ski area, great for kids...not my focus at this point.

Let's circle back closer to ski season!

Much appreciated, surfsnowgirl-- I'd definitely like to try Butternut!

Jiminy is a decent local ski area, great for kids...not my focus at this point.

Let's circle back closer to ski season!

Sounds good. Send me a PM

now

:focus:

:smile:

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

jenniferm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Keeping posting and soon you'll be able to see more of the Divas Only threads. That's where Diva Weeks are discussed. Going to Aspen this season. There is also a get together in the northeast later in the season.

I have the advantage of being retired, so have more flexibility scheduling ski trips. Did a ski club trip once. Found that for me it's been easier and more fun to arrange a ski week with a few friends. Last year we went to Sun Valley, Alta, and Aspen. A couple friends could only make it for a week so skied Alta and Aspen. This season we are going to Taos for a Taos Ski Week.

My sense of a Taos Ski Week is that it would be a better value for me than Bumps for Boomers. Less than $200 for 2-hour lessons in the morning for six days in a row, with the same instructor. When Taos was added to the Mountain Collective Pass (MCP) last season, that sealed the deal for my next new mountain out west.

By the way, I grew up in NYC.
Thanks MarzNC, I didn't know that! I would have kept posting anyway....:smile:

Re Taos, that's an amazing price for lessons. Does anybody else know of similar deals at other mountains?

Are you MarzNC as in North Carolina? I'm impressed that you ski from there, I grew up in D. C. , pre-Massanutten, pre-Snowshoe...there was Roundtop and Charnita ( now Ski Liberty), and for real excitement, Seven Springs and Wisp.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks MarzNC, I didn't know that! I would have kept posting anyway....:smile:

Re Taos, that's an amazing price for lessons. Does anybody else know of similar deals at other mountains?

Are you MarzNC as in North Carolina? I'm impressed that you ski from there, I grew up in D. C. , pre-Massanutten, pre-Snowshoe...there was Roundtop and Charnita ( now Ski Liberty), and for real excitement, Seven Springs and Wisp.
As far as I can tell, the Taos Ski Week is fairly unique. That's one way that Taos could entice people to go somewhere that's 3 hours from the nearest major airport. Note that Taos was for skiers only until relatively recently.

As I understand it, Taos usually has plenty of bumps. So people who do the Ski Week more than once become very smooth skiers. I've skied with a couple (at Snowbird) who learned to ski at Taos. Even after they became advanced skier, they continued to do Ski Weeks. They make any trail look easy, no matter how steep or bumpy or chopped up.

Yep, I'm in North Carolina. Ski at Massanutten partially because we own timeshare but mostly because it's the only place within a half-day drive where I can ski without waiting in a lift line for 10-15 min on a holiday weekend. Very few people who ski at Mnut can handle Lift 6, which services the two longer black runs. Mnut has been around for over 40 years. But a lot of money was spent in the last 10 years to upgrade lifts and base buildings. It has one of the best ski schools in the region.

I learned to ski in in the NY Adirondacks long ago. Moved to Chapel Hill, NC in the early 1970s. Didn't get back on the slopes annually until I took my daughter to Mnut when she was 4. After she could ski blues at Alta (age 7), my number of ski days started increasing steadily.

jenniferm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Aspen/Snowmass has the Women's Edge program. https://www.aspensnowmass.com/plan-your-stay/lessons/womens-edge-group-lessons

Please pm me your email and I will put you in touch with one of the instructors.

Thanks Skier31, I'd appreciate that. Actually the Snowmass Women's Edge program, with a great bump instructor, and hopefully some lodging that is less pricey than Aspen, might be exactly what I'm looking for.
As far as I can tell, the Taos Ski Week is fairly unique. That's one way that Taos could entice people to go somewhere that's 3 hours from the nearest major airport. Note that Taos was for skiers only until relatively recently.

As I understand it, Taos usually has plenty of bumps. So people who do the Ski Week more than once become very smooth skiers. I've skied with a couple (at Snowbird) who learned to ski at Taos. Even after they became advanced skier, they continued to do Ski Weeks. They make any trail look easy, no matter how steep or bumpy or chopped up.

Yep, I'm in North Carolina. Ski at Massanutten partially because we own timeshare but mostly because it's the only place within a half-day drive where I can ski without waiting in a lift line for 10-15 min on a holiday weekend. Very few people who ski at Mnut can handle Lift 6, which services the two longer black runs. Mnut has been around for over 40 years. But a lot of money was spent in the last 10 years to upgrade lifts and base buildings. It has one of the best ski schools in the region.

I learned to ski in in the NY Adirondacks long ago. Moved to Chapel Hill, NC in the early 1970s. Didn't get back on the slopes annually until I took my daughter to Mnut when she was 4. After she could ski blues at Alta (age 7), my number of ski days started increasing steadily.

jenniferm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Has it really been 40 years? Time flies. When I was there I think it had just opened.

The Taos Ski Week sounds great and I bet it gets an interesting crowd. I pretty much always fly into Denver so I'm used to a sizable trip at the other end.

marzNC

Angel Diva

Have you skied at Hunter, Windham, or Belleayre? If you found a compatible Level 3 instructor there, I think there is plenty of terrain that would be good for establishing a solid foundation for bump skiing any where.

Windham has one of the best instructors in the country. Mermer Blakeslee teaches a couple special multi-day clinics that sell out really fast. Have you heard of the book "Conversation with Fear"? Used to be called "The Yikes Zone!"

Check this out:
https://www.windhammountain.com/lessons-programs/kick-ass-workshop/

MASTER THE INS AND OUTS OF OFF-PISTE TERRAIN!
A women’s only off-piste prep program developed by Mermer Blakeslee. Open to intermediate, advanced, and expert level all-mountain skiers. The workshop will include:
  • 6 hours on-hill instruction each day
  • Breakfast & Lunch
  • Thursday Apres ski with a Talk by Mermer
  • Small groups
  • Skill-building and tactics for bumps and off-piste terrain

jenniferm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you skied at Hunter, Windham, or Belleayre? If you found a compatible Level 3 instructor there, I think there is plenty of terrain that would be good for establishing a solid foundation for bump skiing any where.

Windham has one of the best instructors in the country. Mermer Blakeslee teaches a couple special multi-day clinics that sell out really fast. Have you heard of the book "Conversation with Fear"? Used to be called "The Yikes Zone!"

Check this out:

A women’s only off-piste prep program developed by Mermer Blakeslee. Open to intermediate, advanced, and expert level all-mountain skiers. The workshop will include:
  • Breakfast & Lunch
  • Small groups

Check this out:

• Breakfast & Lunch
  • Small groups

This is exactly what I'm looking for! I wouldn't have picked windham, but my new mantra is going to bend to pick areas by the instructor rather than the other way around. Thanks divas!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's another idea if you want bumps and no lift lines on a weekend and willing to drive a little longer. Have you ever heard of Plattekill? Only open Fri-Sat-Sun unless there is a powder storm. It's on the west side of the Catskills. Actually not that far from Hunter. It's a family-owned ski area with 1000' vertical that includes a few trails that are never groomed. A couple are groomed on one side and the other is left natural.

Lift tickets are pretty cheap. I would expect private lessons to be reasonable. I saw a few families the day I was there. Fair to say that kids who learn to ski at Plattekill know have to ski bumps.

Plattekill bumps - 1.jpg

jenniferm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's another idea if you want bumps and no lift lines on a weekend and willing to drive a little longer. Have you ever heard of Plattekill? Only open Fri-Sat-Sun unless there is a powder storm. It's on the west side of the Catskills. Actually not that far from Hunter. It's a family-owned ski area with 1000' vertical that includes a few trails that are never groomed. A couple are groomed on one side and the other is left natural.

Lift tickets are pretty cheap. I would expect private lessons to be reasonable. I saw a few families the day I was there. Fair to say that kids who learn to ski at Plattekill know have to ski bumps.

View attachment 5891
Interesting idea....I don't think I could do all that driving alone, but if anyone else is up for it I'm game. I probably have a better chance of finding someone to split the driving with someplace in pennsylvania.Massachusetts or even lower vermont. But I like the concept.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ran into the Out of Control Ski Club from Albany when I was at Okemo several years ago. Their bus plus lift ticket was less than my lift ticket alone. They have day trips, weekend trips, etc. Might be worth checking out. I thought about joining, but was living near DC at the time.

Oops, just saw that the drive to Plattekill is too long. Doubt this would appeal to you then.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga