• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

broken big toenail

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, another toenail thread. Not ski related, however, but perhaps some of you have done this, too. I stubbed my big toe and ended up cracking the toenail horizontally, all the way across, about 1/4 of the way up from the base. It didn't come off, but it's busted.

Not sure what to do with it? I want to trim the top off so I don't catch it on anything else, but it's still very tender to any pressure. So I have a bandaid around it. But... Anyone ever done this? will it just grow out, or does it depend on the trauma to the nail bed? Will the bottom part grow under the top part? Do I need to get it removed, or can I wait? I am so tired of my big toes, sigh. Too bad they're so important, or I'd just get them both amputated! :-)

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Try soaking it in hot, soapy water (a dish pan works, epsom salts aren't necessary, per my podiatrist) a couple of times a day (good for when on computer?) - this will soften the nail. While it's submerged, pour some hydrogen peroxide on it as disinfectant (might sting, worth it for the germ-killing properties). Redundant but worthwile: betadine solution (available as generic=cheaper). Cover the nail with triple antibiotic ointment, especially at the fracture line, and use large size bandage (NexCare is great, use 2 if necessary). Change the bandage after each soak, or at least every 12 hours. This will all serve to keep the skin beneath the nail clean and facilitate either removal or drop-off. If the matrix wasn't too disturbed, the nail should grow back okay. Don't trim it before it is WAY soft.

Been there, done that, feel your pain.
Really, soaking major-helps.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A visit to the podiatrist might be in order. Let him/her numb your toe and cut it off (the nail, not the toe). MSL has given good advice about the soaking, but my podiatrist is an Epson salts advocate. Go figure.

I used a Rubbermaid-type shoe storage box to soak my foot after I had surgery two years ago.

It's gotta hurt. Get better soon.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks! As a token of gratitude, I will NOT post photos when it starts to fall off. ;-)

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
when I did this I left the band aid on until the tenderness had gone and then applied nail polish to the entire toenail (took 2 or 3 coats iirc) to hide the damage. by the time the nail fell off by itself, a brand new one had grown in underneath.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^ I'll respectfully disagree on putting "oil-based paint/lacquer" on any toenail that's in the grow-back healing process. It can be an irritant. If you must, wait (quite) awhile. As discussed before, this isn't anything to fool with or even chuckle about, because there are some nasty long-term implications to any re-injury. <sigh>

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, so far I've ... done nothing. The tenderness is way, way reduced, so I think I'll just keep a bandaid on it so I don't snag it and rip off the top, and continue waiting for anything to change. I've put hydrogen peroxide on it, but I think I'll wait on the soaking as I don't want to introduce unnecessary moisture (since I'm almost pain free at the moment). I thought I might have to go to doctor to drill the hole and relieve pressure, but the bruising under the nail seems to have stopped. I have nail polish on now, so I can't really see what it looks like. But it is surprisingly okay at the moment ... I'm sure everyone is thrilled to hear it. ;-) Seriously, thanks for the answers, and actually my most pressing question is, CAN I GET IT INTO A SKI BOOT?? Doesn't look like that's going to be at issue for a while, though ...

cwmscm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This happened to me recently. I let the nail get pretty unhinged and then ripped it off. What a relief.

skiwishes

Certified Ski Diva
Since I tend to lose at least one of my big toe nails every season due to trying to follow much younger trainers into silly situations and slamming my toes doing something stupid, I feel a little experienced in this.

Let it grow out. It will take a long time. If it is open at all, follow the advice about disinfecting and if it takes any kind of bad turn, get to a doctor to make sure you don't have an infection.

Do not apply nail polish or anything that will cover the crack or get under it. It makes for yukky sandal wearing, but has always been a conversation opener when I volunteer that I am not diseased physically, just a skier, which is a socially accepted disease.

You will be able to get into your ski boots. After a time it should be healed up underneath the nail enough that it is not painful to trim the nail. Keep it trimmed, and keep a bandaid or something similar on to prevent snagging it.

Usually I can tell it is just about ski season because my nail(s) have fallen off. I wouldn't have it removed unless it gets infected or continues to be painful. If you damaged it underneath, it will fall off on its own; if you didn't, there is no reason to go through the experience.

Rosie Facer

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, another toenail thread. Not ski related, however, but perhaps some of you have done this, too. I stubbed my big toe and ended up cracking the toenail horizontally, all the way across, about 1/4 of the way up from the base. It didn't come off, but it's busted.

Not sure what to do with it? I want to trim the top off so I don't catch it on anything else, but it's still very tender to any pressure. So I have a bandaid around it. But... Anyone ever done this? will it just grow out, or does it depend on the trauma to the nail bed? Will the bottom part grow under the top part? Do I need to get it removed, or can I wait? I am so tired of my big toes, sigh. Too bad they're so important, or I'd just get them both amputated! :-)

I feel your pain. I belted my little toe against a door jamb months ago. No break (it hurt like ... well, a lot) I think as it didn't bruise but not only does the toe still ache a bit but as the nail has grown it has become clear that the end is nigh for that nail. I guess it remains to be seen if anything grows back in its place when it finally grows off.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So ... saw the replies ... the weird thing was, after a day or two of pain, I had ... nothing. After 2 weeks, I was able to clip off the toenail, and lo and behold, there was another one underneath it. About 3/4 the way up.

Back up to the season: I had new liners, which were pretty tight on that foot. I had them reheated and stretched, and then I think I kind of screwed up and got them too hot under my car heater and they shrunk again ... all this meaning I skied much of the season with the toes of my left foot squished into a lot of numbness. So, when I cracked that toenail, it broke pretty easily, and apparently something was already living underneath. (mwahahahahaha -- ick)

Lesson? Kill your toenails before sandal season? Dunno ... no lesson, but it was a very short recovery. :noidea: Still not totally grown in, but I feel kind of guilty for how awful it seemed at first, and then so benign.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna