• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Breck

sway

Diva in Training
So I'm flying up to ski breck with my sister in celebration of my 30th. I've looked at the trail map, and wow. What a place- any advice on which peaks, or runs I should check out? I'll be skiing 3 days. As far as level, I LOVE grommers, and will be taking my burnin luvs. ( the lottas are in bad shape. I need to replace the bindings at least, if not the whole worn out ski). No bumps I figure I can always go rent a pair of fatties to float in pow; but I can also make in work on these if I ski old skool.

We have a house in Santa Fe, so we spend a lot of time up there, as well as in Taos. By comparo, Breck is frikkin huge. If ya'll ladies can give me some starting points, I'd absolutely be greatful, cux right now I'm rather overwhelmed.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you love groomers and don't care for bumps, Peak 7 is awesome. It has these lovely rolling blues (I think the sign says "natural terrain" or something like that), and all those blue runs are groomed pretty aggressively. There are spots with bumps along the side of the run, but you can ski groomed all the way down from I think all the non-treed runs.

Peak 10 has two runs that are typically groomed - one used to be rated blue-black but is black this year; the other has always been black I think. Centennial and Cimmaron. They are steep and can be fun in the right conditions, but they also get skied off and windblown. So those are options ... all the rest of the runs on 10 are bumps and trees.

On Peak 8, I often warm up on either the groomed side of Duke's (can be steep and windblown at the top, but after the first few feet it's often surprisingly great snow) or on Springmeyer, which is a nice mellow learning blue (slow signs everywhere). I avoid Spruce, as does most everyone I know - it would be fun, except that there's a lethal combo of newbie skiers criss-crossing the run and wannabes catching air on the rollers. Literally lethal - there are far too many fatalities on that run. There was already one early this season. Northstar, under the bottom of the T-Bar, is also a fun groomer.

I'm just not that familiar with the groomed stuff on Peak 9, so can't speak to that.

If you want info on the upper bowls, let me know - I assumed based on your preference for avoiding moguls that you wouldn't care for steeps that can expose you to bumps, rocks, irregular conditions, etc.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's a pretty good synopsis, I'd say. Breck has a pretty sizable amount of groomed territory, and several steeper runs that get groomed. They got rid of all their blue-blacks this year and made them blacks, which is kind of nice in a way. They're still the same steeper, groomed runs, but the black designation seems to be keeping more of the lower level skiers who probably shouldn't be on them away.

Peak 9 has a lot of blue groomers, although it can get crowded. Peerless and American are two of the former blue-black runs that are typically groomed. I think Sizzler is usually groomed, too. Also, Frosty's Freeway, from the top of Peak 8 over to Peak 9 is groomed.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Peerless and American are two of the former blue-black runs that are typically groomed.

I don't think I've been on either run this season. I always think of Peerless as having good practice bumps ... are they grooming the whole thing now, or is it part groomed, part moguls?

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm trying to remember...I only skied it the one day, but I don't remember there being any bumps on it...we were doing mostly groomers that day, and the only run I remember having bumps to jump into (because I would have, if they were there!) was Dukes.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Peerless and Sizzler are most definitely always bumps. When they do bumps lessons those are the ones they hit. I think American is about halfsies, bumps on the side and groomed on the other side.

Bouncie's suggestions are pretty good for groomers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna