• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boots

rach93

Certified Ski Diva
I just did a boot fitting clinic. I cannot believe what a fool I have been all these years...

Shims-for those not in the know shims are fill used to create a stable contact between the boot shell and the skiers foot and lower leg. Typical they are inserted between the shell and the lining.

This is important because of the wide variations in foot shape and size in humans. Essentially to make a boot fit correctly unless you are genetically lucky it will need to be shimed.

For example, I have a bizarrely high instep, as well as a substantial length difference in my legs (about 2cm), and very small calfs. Put all of this together and basically even though I have been to boot fitters all across the country, I have never had boots that fit right. This is because the high instep forces me into a larger boot to accommodate it, but without further adjustment (shims) it's too loose everywhere else.

Personally I had never thought about at the technical level that pro they brought in explained at. I would put a shim in the heel and that's about it. So now I am re shiming my boots for a perfect fit.

Some other big take aways are:
80% of the population is in a boot 1 to 2 sizes too big.
Always buckle your boots when you are not using them (plastic has memory) leaving them in buckled will destroy the fit.
Never heat your boots on heater to dry them off, (you can damage the lining), if you need to dry the blow a fan into the boot.
Never wear the same socks you will ski in to the hill, (you will bring moisture into the boot and your feet will be cold).
Your instep and toe buckles should be finger tight if you are racheting them down a lot the boot doesn't not fit right.

When you put your boots on kick your heel into the floor to seat your foot properly into the back of the boot and always start by buckling the ankle buckle as this will lock your foot into the back of the boot.

Hopefully this is useful to someone other than me...

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Never wear the same socks you will ski in to the hill, (you will bring moisture into the boot and your feet will be cold).
I just read this in the cold feet thread today and am guilty of this. Time to change that!

The heel kicking is automatic for me. I've been doing that in ice skates for decades. :smile:

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I just did a boot fitting clinic. I cannot believe what a fool I have been all these years...
Don't feel bad - I suspect at least 80% of the people on this forum have also discovered that their boots that were too big when they finally saw a real bootfitter!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, it is probably true that many are in a boot that is too long for them. However, I still go for the comfort fit, which is what I need when I spend 7 hours a day, 100 days a season in my boots. If I were to race and train only an hour or two on snow and the rest in the gym. I would likely size down some.

Another thing to look for is the integrity of the metal buckles over time. I have worn them down from simple regular use. The same can be said for the bottoms of the boots. I nowadays prefer the softer, non plug boot, bottoms with removable rubber toe and heel pieces, that can easily be replaced as the boot gets worn out.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Good advice. I never put on my ski socks until just before I put on my boots.

Can even apply when I stay slopeside and can walk to the lifts. For Taos, there have been mornings when I carried my skis out to the base of the lift in my snowboots. Then went back to the room to get completely ready for the ski day.

My feet tend to sweat, even when it's quite cold. I often take off my boots when eating lunch in order to let my socks dry out. Also lets the boots air dry, which can happen in the dry air out west. I've carried a spare pair of socks when I have a backpack, but rarely bother to change socks.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
When you put your boots on kick your heel into the floor to seat your foot properly into the back of the boot and always start by buckling the ankle buckle as this will lock your foot into the back of the boot.

The heel kicking is automatic for me. I've been doing that in ice skates for decades. :smile:
I did this for so many years, but then was told by a boot fitter a few years ago that the approach has changed. He recommended to loosely buckle the upper buckles, leave the bottom unbuckled, and flex forward to properly seat your foot, and then tighten the buckle closest to your ankle a bit to hold you in position. At that point, adjust the other buckles as you see fit. If you are using your buckles to adjust fit in a new boot you are likely in the incorrect boot and/or size.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
He recommended to loosely buckle the upper buckles, leave the bottom unbuckled, and flex forward to properly seat your foot, and then tighten the buckle closest to your ankle a bit to hold you in position. At that point, adjust the other buckles as you see fit.
Yep just had my intuition liners put in my DAlbello Asolo 95 boots and was told the exact same thing.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did this for so many years, but then was told by a boot fitter a few years ago that the approach has changed. He recommended to loosely buckle the upper buckles, leave the bottom unbuckled, and flex forward to properly seat your foot, and then tighten the buckle closest to your ankle a bit to hold you in position. At that point, adjust the other buckles as you see fit. If you are using your buckles to adjust fit in a new boot you are likely in the incorrect boot and/or size.
I tend to put my foot in the boot, leave unbuckled, grab the back of the liner with one hand and the back of the shell in the other and lift my heel complete with the liner up and down a few times to seat my heels. Hard to describe.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I flex into my boot a bunch to start, then I tighten my power strap. Next I flex more and loosely buckle the lower ankle buckle and then keep flexing between that, the top buckle, and back ti the lower buckle. I have my booster strap as tight as can be under my shell, the top buckle not overly tight but definitely secure, and the lower ankle buckle the most secure. That spot is everything for me and my low/still padded instep to get somewhat appropriate contact and keep my heel in place. Then I just put the lower two buckles where they usually go, which is pretty much just to keep the shell closed. It has taken some trial and error, but having everything go in a certain way and order now has really allowed me to dial in a very similar and happy fit from day to day. I’m totally like the princess and the pea with ski boots, very small things can really throw me off.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tend to put my foot in the boot, leave unbuckled, grab the back of the liner with one hand and the back of the shell in the other and lift my heel complete with the liner up and down a few times to seat my heels. Hard to describe.
This is what I do. Way more effective than slamming the heel against the ground/floor. (And a lot quieter and less shocking to my joints.)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna