• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boots for high arches?

sara_snow

Diva in Training
I also have (had) the Dalbello Kryptons and tried for three years to get them to fit with various inserts, pads, etc but it was a constant struggle and a lot of pain. Appreciate the validation that these are tough for narrow feet with high arches & excited to explore the suggestions provided here.

Thanks for the info! Mine is the Dalbello Krypton. I have the same issues. I also think that the three buckle system is hitting the exact top of my high arch, which causes some issues. I need to move to a stiffer boot with four buckles, I think.... I will try the Technicas :smile:

OleTimeRiverGuide

Diva in Training
Having this kind of foot, here is how I describe it.
The instep is the distance from the floor to the top of your foot. I believe the reason that is a problem is that there are a lot of nerves running there, so you don't want your boot pressing on this part of your foot or you go numb. Been there... but apparently it can cause permanent damage. Feel that bone on the top of your foot near the ankle, you want to avoid that.
The volume is the overall volume of your foot, and I think is especially the back part of your foot around the ankles. If people tell you you have the tiniest ankles they've ever seen, that's going to be a low volume foot. It's highly related to narrowness.
As far as the length/location of the arch, I don't think that would matter for boots because with feet like this you should get custom footbeds made and they will put the arch wherever it should be.
CindieSue: This is so helpful. It's so much easier to have the right words to describe things when something is this complex! I think I have: low volume, high instep, long arches.

After renting a lot of stuff and learning a lot from you, this year I took a chance and bought some ebay boots for $150: Rossignol 22.5 Altrack Pro. Pro is the semi-narrow version and elite (very narrow) is hard to find. I'm going to try various footbeds I have, and see what I can learn from these boots.. I will look out for the little bone on top.
Rental shops sometimes put me in a 24.5 -- but the 22.5 arrived today and they are perfect in length. I'm kind of afraid because they feel too comfortable.
Will a bootfitter work with these boots to if (s)he didn't sell them to me? What service should I ask for? Its so clear that custom footbeds help people but I'm not sure exactly what product I'm looking for, since there is so much confusing branding out there. Can someone give me an example? I have orthotics molded by a podiatrist, and cut-down size 12 footbed for my short foot. I like the narrrowness of the heel that came in this boot.

Jilly

Staff member
Some boot fitters are associated with a shop, some are not. So if you didn't buy the boot from the fitter, he/she will charge you for the work.

Custom footbeds, since you already have orthotics, you might want to try those first. But do take them to any appointment.

So you've tried on the boots and feel good. Get your bindings adjusted and go ski. Then you'll know if you have any problems. Foot beds are only part of a solution. And you may not need them. Some people are happy with Superfeet or Sidas inserts. Fitters will help with "hot spots", cramped toes, too loose or too tight places...but you need to ski first to determine that.

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
After renting a lot of stuff and learning a lot from you, this year I took a chance and bought some ebay boots for $150: Rossignol 22.5 Altrack Pro. Pro is the semi-narrow version and elite (very narrow) is hard to find. I'm going to try various footbeds I have, and see what I can learn from these boots.. I will look out for the little bone on top.
Will a bootfitter work with these boots to if (s)he didn't sell them to me? What service should I ask for? Its so clear that custom footbeds help people but I'm not sure exactly what product I'm looking for, since there is so much confusing branding out there. Can someone give me an example? I have orthotics molded by a podiatrist, and cut-down size 12 footbed for my short foot. I like the narrrowness of the heel that came in this boot.

Custom footbeds may be your only option. You would just get whatever type the bootfitter you go to makes. I have the same long arch so it sounds like it's unlikley a semi-custom product will work. (ie. cool idea that a size 12 insert has the right arch length, but the heel cup is going to be way too wide for it to sit in the boot properly. If you pull out the cheap insole that came in the liner you can see how small the insole is. The bootfitter would cut a semi-custom insole or custom insole down to match that outline. You can hold it onto your existing insoles to see if they are close in size or you are willing to trim any of them to match.

As for your high instep, not sure if it's bony or not (mine is very bony). A bootfitter can put a pad over that spot and heat mold a space for you or cut a piece of the tongue out to reduce pressure if you find you have top of foot pressure issues in the boots.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna