• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boots for high arches?

Gidget415

Certified Ski Diva
Hi everyone,

I have a pair of Dalbello boots that tend to give me issues. I have really high arches, a bit of a narrow heel, and one foot is a whole size larger than the other. I got this pair fitted from day one and reviews said they were good for high arches. They made more room in one and did some stuff to help with the arch problem, but I still have big issues adjusting them so they are snug enough to give me good control but not cutting off circulation. Sometimes I spend most of the morning trying to get it right at the top of each run. I think part of the issue is that six years ago, I was skiing more beginner/intermediate and now my ski style has changed.

I'm heading to a boot fitter soon, but was wondering if anyone had similar issues and any recommendations?

Thank you!

Christy

Angel Diva
Do you have custom footbeds? My first thought is that high arches are supported by a good footbed rather than the boot itself.

Gidget415

Certified Ski Diva
Do you have custom footbeds? My first thought is that high arches are supported by a good footbed rather than the boot itself.

Yes, they did footbeds and I have good arch support (no pain there) but the top of my foot pushes into the boot too much. There wasn't much they could do to give the top of my foot enough room without making the ankle too loose. If I tighten the ankle enough to keep my heel really secure, it cuts off my circulation in the top of my foot. I may take these back to the boot fitter and I'll also check to see if there is something else that would work better.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the same issue, too tight around the ankle cuts off the top of my foot. My last boots were the Dalbello Krya but they always felt a little sloppy. They were the best I could find. I also wear a 22.5 which limits my selection. Last spring my boot fitter put me in the Technica Mach I LV. It's the 1st low volume boot that didn't crush the top of my foot. I have about 20 days on the boot and so far I've been happy with the fit.

BTW, I have a narrow heel, wider forefoot and a higher, rigid arch.

Gidget415

Certified Ski Diva
I have the same issue, too tight around the ankle cuts off the top of my foot. My last boots were the Dalbello Krya but they always felt a little sloppy. They were the best I could find. I also wear a 22.5 which limits my selection. Last spring my boot fitter put me in the Technica Mach I LV. It's the 1st low volume boot that didn't crush the top of my foot. I have about 20 days on the boot and so far I've been happy with the fit.

BTW, I have a narrow heel, wider forefoot and a higher, rigid arch.

Thanks for the info! Mine is the Dalbello Krypton. I have the same issues. I also think that the three buckle system is hitting the exact top of my high arch, which causes some issues. I need to move to a stiffer boot with four buckles, I think.... I will try the Technicas :smile:

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Husband has high arches, same issue with 1 foot 1 size bigger than the other. He has K2 Spyne boots, with a full custom moulded liner (injected type), plus custom foot bed. The boot fitter also replaced the tongue of the boot liner to give more space across the top of his foot.

The full custom mould took care of the foot size difference and the thin liner across the top of the foot stopped the boot cutting off the blood supply to his toes.

He's had them for a few years now, very happy with the results - went from pain after a couple of hours in his old boots to being able to ski all day from day 1 in the new boots.

Gidget415

Certified Ski Diva
Husband has high arches, same issue with 1 foot 1 size bigger than the other. He has K2 Spyne boots, with a full custom moulded liner (injected type), plus custom foot bed. The boot fitter also replaced the tongue of the boot liner to give more space across the top of his foot.

The full custom mould took care of the foot size difference and the thin liner across the top of the foot stopped the boot cutting off the blood supply to his toes.

He's had them for a few years now, very happy with the results - went from pain after a couple of hours in his old boots to being able to ski all day from day 1 in the new boots.

Thanks so much! That sounds like a great solution and I will ask about that.

sk8ski

Certified Ski Diva
I have high arch and high instep, narrow heel and fairly wide ball. I've tried Dalbello Kyra on - the buckle pressed on my instep, even when barely tightened, just so it wouldn't flop. A very experienced boot fitter put me into Lange SX (women's) - and they fit me very well, my narrow heel is locked in without any movement, and I don't really need to tighten the bottom buckle. Fitter also had me try 4 or 5 other boots, but I kept coming back to Langes, his first pick.

Try them on if you don't need extremely stiff boots?

SnowSeeker

Angel Diva
I have a high arch but otherwise very low volume feet with a very narrow ankle and one foot 1/2 size larger than the other. I have experienced some similar problems. I like a performance fit and getting it right in all areas can be hard. I went to a bootfitter in Vermont this fall and tried my usual brands, Tecnica and Lange. But he suggested a Head boot bc of the superior fit. I ended up buying the Head Raptor 110 RS W. I went down a bit in size to accommodate the smaller foot and they heated and punched out the other boot for my larger foot. I already had custom foot beds that they adjusted to fit the new boots. With some heat and molding, they made it perfect over the arches (it felt too pinched at first). I’ve skied @12 days so far this season and they feel great. No issues at all with numbness despite being in a smaller boot and ankles are locked in. Here is a review. It mentions these might be tight for high arches but I didn’t find that. https://www.bootfitters.com/reviews/2017-18-head-raptor-110-rs-w

Gidget415

Certified Ski Diva
I ended up buying the Head Raptor 110 RS W. I went down a bit in size to accommodate the smaller foot and they heated and punched out the other boot for my larger foot.

Thanks so much! I'm glad it seems like I'm not the only one with this issue. I think it's affecting my ability to really experience and control (carve) with my new BP 88s because they require more power than my old beginner carvers. My boyfriend noticed that it looked like I was working hard at times to get the power that the skis needed even though my form looked good (no back-seat) and we are piecing it all together.

He surprised me with new boots for my birthday! He made an appointment for me at the Boot Doctor in Taos next Friday, and I'll be up there for a week for ski week, so the good folks there thought it would be a good opportunity for me to test and work out any kinks.

Bea_salvat

Certified Ski Diva
I have very high arches and I have owned Salomon (2 pairs which I ended selling) and they would hurt the top of my feet. I ended up buying the Atomic Hawx and I love love them.

SnowSeeker

Angel Diva
Thanks so much! I'm glad it seems like I'm not the only one with this issue. I think it's affecting my ability to really experience and control (carve) with my new BP 88s because they require more power than my old beginner carvers. My boyfriend noticed that it looked like I was working hard at times to get the power that the skis needed even though my form looked good (no back-seat) and we are piecing it all together.

He surprised me with new boots for my birthday! He made an appointment for me at the Boot Doctor in Taos next Friday, and I'll be up there for a week for ski week, so the good folks there thought it would be a good opportunity for me to test and work out any kinks.

That’s a great gift! Your issue with BPs def could be the boots. I skied in too loose boots several years back and stuck with it for a few seasons. I couldn’t figure out why my skiing was regressing until I bought a well fitted boot. It felt like a ski miracle! I also have a pair of BPs - a model from @4 years ago - so technology may be different. I don’t find them to be the easiest ski for me, contrary to what many others feel about them. I like a stiffer ski with a grippier edge (northeast skiing). I find the BPs a bit squirrelly at high speed and on hardpack and they aren’t stiff enough for spring mash, IMO. I pulled them out today for the first time in a while bc we had very soft snow this morning. My go-to skis are a much stiffer blizzard model that skis very differently than the BP. After a few runs, I got in a groove with the BPs and enjoyed them much more. I think they just require a very forward stance and a bit more nuance (plus soft, deeper snow..). I can’t be lazy on the BPs. It’s a better ski for Taos than east coast for sure. See if the boots make a difference and then maybe try adjusting your stance a bit to see if it changes how the skis respond. Good luck!

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I
I have a high arch but otherwise very low volume feet with a very narrow ankle and one foot 1/2 size larger than the other. I have experienced some similar problems. I like a performance fit and getting it right in all areas can be hard. I went to a bootfitter in Vermont this fall and tried my usual brands, Tecnica and Lange. But he suggested a Head boot bc of the superior fit. I ended up buying the Head Raptor 110 RS W. I went down a bit in size to accommodate the smaller foot and they heated and punched out the other boot for my larger foot. I already had custom foot beds that they adjusted to fit the new boots. With some heat and molding, they made it perfect over the arches (it felt too pinched at first). I’ve skied @12 days so far this season and they feel great. No issues at all with numbness despite being in a smaller boot and ankles are locked in. Here is a review. It mentions these might be tight for high arches but I didn’t find that. https://www.bootfitters.com/reviews/2017-18-head-raptor-110-rs-w
I also have a high arch and a low volume ankle and am in the head. My bootfitter was worried about the instep but it has turned out to be a lovely fit.

Gidget415

Certified Ski Diva
[QUOTE="SnowSeeker, I also have a pair of BPs - a model from @4 years ago - so technology may be different. I don’t find them to be the easiest ski for me, contrary to what many others feel about them. I like a stiffer ski with a grippier edge (northeast skiing). I find the BPs a bit squirrelly at high speed and on hardpack and they aren’t stiff enough for spring mash, IMO. ..... I think they just require a very forward stance and a bit more nuance (plus soft, deeper snow..). I can’t be lazy on the BPs. It’s a better ski for Taos than east coast for sure. See if the boots make a difference and then maybe try adjusting your stance a bit to see if it changes how the skis respond. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Snowseeker, I have had the same experience with the BPs! Mine are also a few years old, I got them on eBay last spring. I tell my BF that they "demand" more aggressive skiing from me. I definitely get chatter until I'm more forward and more connected to the ski, which in someways is a nice constant reminder re: form. I am also doing much more thoughtful but fluid turns, if that makes sense. I don't think you can even backseat on them because it would be miserable with the chatter. The boots I have are just not conveying the power I need to make the BPs happy and I think it's the loose heel/ankle fit. I'm so excited to try them with new boots this coming week. I'm also with you that (growing up on the East Coast), I tend to gravitate to more of a carving ski, though the BPs did really well in powder a few weeks ago. They seem to float more on it and cut through it, especially the heavier/mash snow that would have stopped my old skis dead in their tracks. Though I've been here for years, there is some comfort in feeling a ski that I know will bite into the mountain if needed. I'm hoping that the week of lessons coming up at Taos and the new boots will help break some of that and get me more comfortable all around.

CindiSue

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone here ever try Lange RX 80 Low Volume (or a different flex of it?) You can get the in 97mm and they have a cut out for high insteps! Both times I've gotten boots the bootfitter put me in jr racing boots, but I'm afraid the forward lean may be causing me problems. Both said I had one of the hardest feet they've ever fit. Size 8 with super narrow heels, super low volume, and super high in-step. (The bootfitter actually told me not to tighten the second buckle at all or I'd probably screw up the nerves in my feet.) Using a caliper with socks on, which may not be correct technique, my foot is about 87mm at the widest, 61mm at the heel, 59mm ankles.

Last edited:

OleTimeRiverGuide

Diva in Training
I

I also have a high arch and a low volume ankle and am in the head. My bootfitter was worried about the instep but it has turned out to be a lovely fit.

I'm a little confused about high instep and arch and ankle - some people use them interchangeably but I think they may be different? I'm trying to figure out if I'm similar to you Snowseeker and Gidget415 and should try out what has worked for you or kind of the opposite. My feet are narrow - 92/93 last. I think my instep is high but my arch is average (meaning it doesn't carve so far to the outer foot as high arch drawings), however my arch is loooong. (For example, I can wear a footbed 5 sizes bigger and cut it short for a really comfortable fit that supports the metatarsals behind my big and 2nd toes.) Boots always hurt the top of my foot near the ankle.

So should I call that "high instep" or "high ankle" or "high arch?" (Or "high volume?")

And I would love recs for high-whatever-i-am + narrow boots.

OleTimeRiverGuide

Diva in Training
Anyone here ever try Lange RX 80 Low Volume (or a different flex of it?) You can get the in 97mm and they have a cut out for high insteps! Both times I've gotten boots the bootfitter put me in jr racing boots, but I'm afraid the forward lean may be causing me problems. Both said I had one of the hardest feet they've ever fit. Size 8 with super narrow heels, super low volume, and super high in-step. (The bootfitter actually told me not to tighten the second buckle at all or I'd probably screw up the nerves in my feet.) Using a caliper with socks on, which may not be correct technique, my foot is about 87mm at the widest, 61mm at the heel, 59mm ankles.
Wow that is narrow. So did you try the Lang RX Low Vol and did you like them?
Do you know what the RX stands for?
I've been able to figure out that "Elite" means "narrow last" in Rossignol language. I wish they would just say "narrow".

SnowSeeker

Angel Diva
I'm trying to figure out if I'm similar to you Snowseeker and Gidget415 and should try out what has worked for you or kind of the opposite. My feet are narrow - 92/93 last. I think my instep is high but my arch is average (meaning it doesn't carve so far to the outer foot as high arch drawings), however my arch is loooong. (For example, I can wear a footbed 5 sizes bigger and cut it short for a really comfortable fit that supports the metatarsals behind my big and 2nd toes.) Boots always hurt the top of my foot near the ankle.

So should I call that "high instep" or "high ankle" or "high arch?" (Or "high volume?")

And I would love recs for high-whatever-i-am + narrow boots.

Instep refers to the top of your foot, arch is the underside. If I’m understanding you correctly, you may have a high instep if the top of your foot is causing issues? Low volume means it takes up less space overall in the boot vs more space for high volume. I bet a lot of people with boot fitting difficulty have a combination of issues. My feet are skinny/narrow plus I have skinny calves and narrow ankles, but I have high arches/instep (maybe I should say “high-ish” arch and instep - they aren’t my biggest issue). My bootfitter checked out my feet closely and measured a bunch of things, then they looked at my old boots to determine what would work. Generally, narrow last (ie low volume versions) of Lange and Technica have worked well for me in the past. My most recent go around, the Head Raptor, worked well for me. I think my skinny calves and narrow ankles are the hardest thing to fit. I’ve had a custom orthotic footbed for 15 years and that made a huge difference with boot fit and performance. The bootfitter can punch out or pad out small areas to fine tune, which he had to do for my Head boots. I imagine that having long feet is the big issue for you because a larger boot size will have more space overall? I suppose you have to start with the correct mondo length and work your way back to the rest of the foot. This is why bootfitters exist!

CindiSue

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think my instep is high but my arch is average (meaning it doesn't carve so far to the outer foot as high arch drawings), however my arch is loooong. (For example, I can wear a footbed 5 sizes bigger and cut it short for a really comfortable fit that supports the metatarsals behind my big and 2nd toes.) Boots always hurt the top of my foot near the ankle.

Having this kind of foot, here is how I describe it.
The instep is the distance from the floor to the top of your foot. I believe the reason that is a problem is that there are a lot of nerves running there, so you don't want your boot pressing on this part of your foot or you go numb. Been there... but apparently it can cause permanent damage. Feel that bone on the top of your foot near the ankle, you want to avoid that.
The volume is the overall volume of your foot, and I think is especially the back part of your foot around the ankles. If people tell you you have the tiniest ankles they've ever seen, that's going to be a low volume foot. It's highly related to narrowness.
As far as the length/location of the arch, I don't think that would matter for boots because with feet like this you should get custom footbeds made and they will put the arch wherever it should be.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna