• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boots and sales

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you only buy boots that are on sale? If you do so do you only try the ones on sale? I am planning on buying some this season, but I cannot afford $500+ on boots. I kind of feel weird about this.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm probably a bad person to answer this question. I started out this fall hoping to find boots for around $300. Then I went to Jeannie Thoren's boot presentation and realized that I may have to spend a little bit more, hoped to keep it under $500. Then I went to the private consultation with her and found out that the only boot that fit my foot well retailed for $750 and I about had a heart attack. Luckily, they were on sale for $550, but with the custom foot beds...:faint:

While I ended up spending considerably more than I originally had hoped to, I decided to look at it as an investment. These boots, if they fit me well like they should, should last me a good long time. And, as I've learned since I've been on these forums, the boots are probably the most important piece of gear you own, so you better make sure they're good. Plus, I got a screamin' deal on my new skis, so it balances out, right? :becky:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Only on sale. Period. Like above, 500 is not an option (unless I'd like to skip a month of home heat). However, I have a brand and a model of boot that truly works. Now it is considered "new old stock." Serious hunting can produce results. I think I paid 250 for the ones I'm currently using. They WILL pack out. In preparation for said day, I found (just recently) the identical boot as its replacement. For $128*. (not junk, this is the top end '07 Tecnica women's boot, Attiva Flame) Sold. Really couldn't care less that it's not the latest (09) model, not for this price. (*could not replace the liners for this price)

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you go to a good boot fitter, you may find that they have something from a year or two ago sitting on the shelf that fits you.

As Itri said, the boots are the most important piece of gear you own, thus the piece I'd spend the most on, and keep the longest.

That said, once you find "the boot" for you, they will be your best friend for a looooong time! AND, you'll have a recipe for comfy feet for years to come as you can buy the same boot and look for deals on that boot each time its time to swap out.

The trick is having patience in shopping for your first good pair of boots. Once you've got that nailed, you're gonna be in SkiDiva Heaven!
Incidentally, I have had good fortune to find screamin deals on the boots that fit my feet.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
If you go to a good boot fitter, you may find that they have something from a year or two ago sitting on the shelf that fits you.
Bingo. This is how it happened about 7 years ago for me, great serendipity/luck/good fortune (realizing that this may not always be the case, as it certainly had NOT been prior, for decades).

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I have a hard to find boot size (22), so I'm kind of reluctant to wait for a sale, since the chance of them having something around that fits is pretty slim. This was the first year I didn't wait, and I actually ended up with a pair I'm really happy with (for a change). They're Atomics, and they're not priced too badly, either. I think they retail for around $450., but I got a deal :becky: so I didn't have to pay that much. Plus I was able to reuse by old footbeds, which kept the cost down, too.

If I had a size that wasn't hard to find AND my current boots weren't giving me fits, I'd wait. Can you tough it out or are you desperate?

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
does anyone know of places in the northeast/mid-atlantic area where one can simply try on bunches of boots? (the closer to central New York, the better?) - I know the shops I've tried tend to be reluctant to let you do this...

Jilly

Staff member
Do mean try on in the store, or on the hill?

Any store should let you try on. But on hill demo like, I don't know of any off hand.

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
at the store - they seem to want to hand one or two they think would work best & not let me try on a variety to see how they feel/fit...considering how bad my track record has been with (and how much I have spent on) what boots various folks "thought" would be best for me, I'm not real happy with this method...(for the record, the last set of boots I got aren't bad - thing is, that's 4 sets of boots bought in 3 years - not to mention those tried & NOT bought - and I've just managed to get up to "not bad")

altagirl

Staff member
I think it's more important to find a good fitter than to try on a million boots.

But seriously - someone who knows what they're doing should be able to look at your bare foot and tell you right offhand what boot is going to fit you best based on the shape.

Part of the problem is - if you're just trying them on - the ones that may FEEL best to you may not have the potential to fit the best once modifications have been done. They are probably too big.

So really - someone who has that eye and knowledge about all the models they have and can fit you on sight and know what modifications will make it perfect is much more valuable than a warehouse of boots you could try on all day. That said - you're likely going to pay for it. I've given up trying to find boots on sale. I'll ask my fitter if he's got anything from a year or two ago that would work, but boots are an investment. Plan to spend your money there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna