• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Bootcap (external toe insulators)

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
In an effort not to totally hijack the Cold Feet thread I thought there might be enough interest in these to warrant a thread.

I was excited to try these bootcaps after reading Ski Diva chatter about them on the forum and ordered them a couple weeks ago. Shipping was prompt and the directions and guide to install were straightforward. They stick on with really sticky double sided tape and I would echo the concern about residue if they one day need removing. The product is one size fits all so being on the small end of the boot size spectrum was a concern (22.5). They are butted up to my buckles to clear the toe binding, but seemed to fit. You can tell there is slight strain on the curve with my small/narrow boot, but the adhesive seems to be holding well.

I have skied them 5 days now with weather primarily in the 30's-40's in southern Vermont.
Pros: in the softer snow it kept the snow from building up on my toes, I could still access my buckles to flip them up when riding the lift if I wanted to
Cons: no sure if I noticed a huge difference, the top (pretty layer) of vinyl already start peeling away after a few days of skiing

I know @MissySki shared she is testing them out and has 14 days on them with no issue. Definitely curious what other folks who have them are noticing.

I have just submitted a note on the company page regarding the peeling to see what they say.
E8E2C1D0-F67B-49E5-A41E-DF8F0D2E20E5_1_201_a.jpeg

MissySki

Angel Diva
In an effort not to totally hijack the Cold Feet thread I thought there might be enough interest in these to warrant a thread.

I was excited to try these bootcaps after reading Ski Diva chatter about them on the forum and ordered them a couple weeks ago. Shipping was prompt and the directions and guide to install were straightforward. They stick on with really sticky double sided tape and I would echo the concern about residue if they one day need removing. The product is one size fits all so being on the small end of the boot size spectrum was a concern (22.5). They are butted up to my buckles to clear the toe binding, but seemed to fit. You can tell there is slight strain on the curve with my small/narrow boot, but the adhesive seems to be holding well.

I have skied them 5 days now with weather primarily in the 30's-40's in southern Vermont.
Pros: in the softer snow it kept the snow from building up on my toes, I could still access my buckles to flip them up when riding the lift if I wanted to
Cons: no sure if I noticed a huge difference, the top (pretty layer) of vinyl already start peeling away after a few days of skiing

I know @MissySki shared she is testing them out and has 14 days on them with no issue. Definitely curious what other folks who have them are noticing.

I have just submitted a note on the company page regarding the peeling to see what they say.
View attachment 22130
Not sure who is testing them, but it’s not me. :smile: I am interested in others’ experiences though.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

View attachment 22130
Gosh, that seems disappointing. Let us know what they say!

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
My first message fell through the cracks, but they were responsive when I nudged them again. They are replacing them at no cost and said they would be sharing the picture with the manufacturer.

They also provided some better tips for applying them in an email than the general instructions. I don't think that make a different in the failure factor though.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the problem is they're designed for bigger boots. My toes (and only my toes) have been so cold the last two times I've gone that I'm really tempted by these, but $50 and the fact they may not fit my 23.5 boots very well give me pause.

Edit: I decided to try them anyway. My toes were so cold they hurt!

Last edited:

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
I think the problem is they're designed for bigger boots. My toes (and only my toes) have been so cold the last two times I've gone that I'm really tempted by these, but $50 and the fact they may not fit my 23.5 boots very well give me pause.

Even though the the cap clearly doesn’t curve quite as much as my small 22.5. The seem to be staying adhered to the boot very well still. It was so cold at Snowshoe still weekend I had my heated insoles going, the bootcap and I strapped my boot gloves over them! :snow:

mustski

Angel Diva

I wear a 23.5 and they fit fine. So far, they still are working for me but the lowest temp I hit was 12°F and only for a bit. On cold days, I plan to run my boot heaters also. Until tgat is necessary, I am leaving the heaters turned off to give this a fair test.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wear a 23.5 and they fit fine. So far, they still are working for me but the lowest temp I hit was 12°F and only for a bit. On cold days, I plan to run my boot heaters also. Until tgat is necessary, I am leaving the heaters turned off to give this a fair test.
That's good to hear! I have Carv in my boots, so I don't really have room to also add heaters. It was 18F last weekend when my toes were really uncomfortable.

newbieM

Angel Diva
I was just telling my BF I wanted these because my toes get so cold but I also have tiny boots.

Sorry for asking a dumb question but what size are my boots? Why does it say 22.5 and 22? I’m curious how these work and how long they last I may treat myself to them next season.

Attachments

• IMG_9419.jpeg
    IMG_9419.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 5

Jilly

Staff member
22-22.5 is your size. But I would wait till you get these boots fixed. If your toes are in that much pain, adding these caps right not it's going to fit that.

Last edited:

mustski

Angel Diva
I was just telling my BF I wanted these because my toes get so cold but I also have tiny boots.

Sorry for asking a dumb question but what size are my boots? Why does it say 22.5 and 22? I’m curious how these work and how long they last I may treat myself to them next season.
It says that because ski boots don't actually come in half sizes. So a 22 and a 22.5 are the same size. In some cases the 22 will have a shorter liner, but that doesn't make the boot any smaller.

My heated boot bag broke this morning. When I got to the mountain, the inside toes of my boots felt cold. It wasn't dreadfully cold outside, but I turned the boot heater on in my left boot but not my right boot. There was no different in my feet. They were equally comfortable. I wasn't skiing very hard either because I was evaluating the healing in my hand and was being cautious. That went well too.

newbieM

Angel Diva
What brand are these boot caps? I wanted to do a little research or keep an eye out if they ever go on sale.

Jilly

Staff member
"Tell us about the new Hotronic toe caps you got to test! It sounds like you were really impressed at their effectiveness. I'll be testing mine out next week."

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
What brand are these boot caps? I wanted to do a little research or keep an eye out if they ever go on sale.

Here is the website.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I need to install mine this week. Of course, it's going to be high 40s this weekend, so I won't actually need them.

I'm confused by the Hotronic part as they don't seem to actually be related at all. I had trouble finding the site at first.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga