• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boot review: Salomon Instinct 9

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
sal630.jpg

About me: 5'3", 135lbs. Advanced/expert all-mountain skier.
After several seasons in my Lange CRL70s, the liners were well packed out and I was looking for something a bit stiffer to match up with my Volkl skis. I tried on several pair of women's boots, and the Instinct 9 fit my foot best. Nice snug fit all around, although the heel could be a bit tighter. (Fairly average foot, but very narrow heels).

I've had 4 days on these boots now, ranging from man-made snow on groomers, to cut up heavy snow, to deep blower powder. I used the boots with my Volkl Attiva S5 and Volkl Aura skis.

The more I wear them, the more I like these boots! First day was a bit interesting. The Instinct 9 has a pretty aggressive forward lean. My legs seemed to get tired more quickly due to this, but my overall stance on the skis has improved. I was able to stay centered on the skis better, and my bad habit of breaking at the waist on steep terrain is going away. The boots are stiff enough to transmit steering input quickly to the skis, and I can use much more subtle movements to direct the skis. And on those few occasions where I catch a bit of air, there is no harsh jarring in the bottom of my foot upon landing. No toe bang, either. When I get tired toward the end of the day, the boots won't put me on my butt, either. I can relax a bit and let the boots do the steering. :D

From a comfort level, the boots are wonderful. After the first day, I found a couple hot spots on the inside ankle of each foot. I took the liner out and ended up removing the large butterfly pad around the heel that the boot fitter put in. It wrapped around into my ankle and caused the hot spots. I replaced the large foam piece with a smaller foam piece right at the heel where I need it most. This is temporary until I get back to the bootfitter for final adjustments.
The boots are warm, and most important-- waterproof! I only had a few minutes of "powder toe", but my feet warmed up quickly after getting back on the lift.

The boots are a fairly tight fit getting into and out of, especially in the instep area. But the soft liner fabric helps with the transition. The boots aren't frilly or very girly looking (just fine with me!). The performance is very good, while still retaining enough warmth and comfort for all day skiing. I'm not one to unbuckle my boots during the lift or even during breaks, and I never felt the need to with the Instinct 9. They seem to be a good match with my Volkl skis so far, and I'm quite happy with the purchase. :thumbsup:

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
sal630.jpg

. . . breaking at the waist . . .

Sorry, I just have to ask!

Can you explain this? I probably do it big time, and want to know for sure what you're talking about so I can work on learning not to!

Congratulations on having new boots you love!

Kano

retromaven

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That is one HOT boot. Glad you like it and it lives up to it's billing. As I progress this season, and if I seem to like my lower model Solly's, and I eventually need "more boot", definitely will have to take a look at this bad gal (but that's a big "if"!). Specs on the Instinct boot say its Salomon's most "anatomical fit", and their boots fit my foot very well. Only one question: Does this boot rule out gals with larger calf muscles, as my Solly Rush had more volume in the cuff area than any of the other Sol's I tried on, but I did not try this boot, or is this for more standard calf size women only?

Anyway, sounds like a winner for you...especially since the fit is good and probably only needs a bit more tweaking, that's always GREAT news! Hope you have a great season on them! :thumbsup:

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Only one question: Does this boot rule out gals with larger calf muscles, as my Solly Rush had more volume in the cuff area than any of the other Sol's I tried on, but I did not try this boot, or is this for more standard calf size women only?

I measured my calf at 14.5". The boot seems to fit right at or just below the calf muscle. I have the top buckles on the 2nd notch from the outside. The top buckles can be re-positioned even further, to accommodate a larger calf. So it may be worth checking out.

Sorry, I just have to ask!

Can you explain this? I probably do it big time, and want to know for sure what you're talking about so I can work on learning not to!

Kano

I'll give it a shot, maybe someone else with better technical background can explain it better. As far as breaking at the waist, you know it when you do it. Your shoulders will hunch forward over your toes, and your butt will stick out a bit in back.
With the extra forward lean in the boots, it tipped my knees forward and pushed my butt back under my hips, thus helping to straighten out my upper body.

Bravosarah

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's a hot looking boot Lori. I've been eyeing the Instinct 9 and the Hawx 90L for some time now. Thanks for posting your review. I'm hoping it will fit my foot, but with my high instep I might be out of luck. :(

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga