• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boot liners too tight. Any suggestions?

awesometigerus

Diva in Training
I bought new Technica Spark boots over the summer and finally got to wear them for the first time. After a few runs, my toes started feeling squished and pretty much lost circulation in them. When I got home I put my feet in just the liners and my toes were hitting the end of them. Any suggestions on how to create a little more room in them so I don't feel like I bought boots I cant wear!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First of all, make sure your foot is all the way back into the heel pocket each time you put your boots on. Put them on, buckle the two upper cuff buckles very loosely, flex your knees forward very hard a couple of times until you feel your toes pull away from the front of the boot, then buckle those 2 buckles tighter, and finish by buckling the two over the top of your foot and doing up the power strap.

Keep wearing them. The padding in the liners will eventually compress until you have plenty of room. Until then, try wearing the thinnest socks you can find, like a polypro liner sock (basically a glorified nylon knee-high). Also, if you don't have custom insoles, reach inside the liner and remove the cheap piece of cardboard and felt the manufacturer calls a foot bed. That should give you plenty of room temporarily. If they don't pack out within 5-7 ski days, take them back to your shop.....a fitter can do lots of things to give you room.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Get thee to a boot fitter.

Chances are, you've got the right boots but you need some tweeking to make them YOUR boots.

A good fitter can blow out the toe box or do a bit of grinding, at worst, and may be able to just adjust the Zeppa or liner to make them fit for you.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
why am I not surprised that VG beat me to the great advice? :smile:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought new Technica Spark boots over the summer and finally got to wear them for the first time. After a few runs, my toes started feeling squished and pretty much lost circulation in them. When I got home I put my feet in just the liners and my toes were hitting the end of them. Any suggestions on how to create a little more room in them so I don't feel like I bought boots I cant wear!

Ski in them. It's most likely a good thing that your toes are hitting the end of the liners, because the liners will stretch/pack out.

You might not be able to spend 8 hours in them for the first few times out, but after a few short days, you should be feeling much better.

How does the shell fit without the liner in it? What size boot is it?

altagirl

Staff member
Yeah - it seems crazy, but you WANT your toes to be touching the end of the liners.

awesometigerus

Diva in Training
The boots without the liner give me 1 to 2 finger spaces behind my heel( I wear a size 8 so they are 24.5 boots. The rest of the liner feels good just my toes felt like they were going to fall off. I bought them in town at Inner Boot Works in Stowe VT. People claim they are the best so I geuss I should hit them up for help. Someone suggested wearing them around the house. Does that seem silly or worth it? Thank you for the speedy replies. Oh yeah, could it be the way I was skiing?

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
when you say numbness, that makes me think that they're narrow for you. Also, if you're tightening your toe buckles too much, that could exacerbate it. I'd suggest going back to the shop you bought them at to see what they can do about the fit. As others said, the toes should be touching the end, but if they're squeezed from the outside, that can definitely make them lose circulation and that sucks! I would think your fit should be guaranteed for at least a year, so definitely get yourself back there and make the boots comfy!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, there is a vein on the top of your foot. If that gets any pressure point, then you're bound to have numbness. Again, that is an easy fix for a qualified boot guy.

I'd get that looked at if you continue to experience it. Do NOT ski with numb toes!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Shell sounds just right. I'd give it a couple of days, and even try wearing them around the house, although I'm not sure that doing so produces the same forces as skiing. Well, I'm sure it doesn't, but it might still help ...

I wouldn't take them back in quite yet, because you'll probably get the same advice you're getting here (ski a few more days). But if they aren't better after that, I would go back. It's possible that the liner is shortlasted.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, there is a vein on the top of your foot. If that gets any pressure point, then you're bound to have numbness. Again, that is an easy fix for a qualified boot guy.

I'd get that looked at if you continue to experience it. Do NOT ski with numb toes!

THat's a good point ... the numbness might have nothing to do with the liner, and everything to do with the instep. When I had Atomic boots, I had to have big chunks of plastic cut out of the tongues because they pinched so much.

Can you ski with the instep buckle undone, or at least really loose? I would also do that, to make sure you aren't crushing your foot and cutting off circulation.

altagirl

Staff member
I would agree - make sure you're not buckling them too tight - and it could be the instep causing the numbness. My bootfitter insists that when you close those bottom too buckles they should basically almost "fall" shut. No pressure at all to buckle them. But even then something with an instep that is too "short" for the top of your foot will cause a lot of problems.

And the point for me where a liner is too short is that your toes are actually crunched - like they have to be bent (hammertoe) to fit in them. If they're firmly touching the front - that's good.

And to some extent - it CAN be the way you ski. If you are in the backseat, that pushes your toes into the front of your boots. So make sure you're thinking about keeping your shin against the tongue of your boot, and that will also keep your heel back in the heel pocket and give your toes as much room as possible.

And it doesn't hurt to walk around at home in them for a while.

awesometigerus

Diva in Training
I will make sure I pay attention to the way I am bucking them. My toes touch they end but they aren't crunched. I had a really hard time getting into the boots because the plastic underneath the second to top buckle was pinched together and I couldn't get my foot though that part without yelping out loud. Maybe thats the problem.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would agree - make sure you're not buckling them too tight - and it could be the instep causing the numbness. My bootfitter insists that when you close those bottom too buckles they should basically almost "fall" shut. No pressure at all to buckle them. ....

Yes: I can't even buckle the second buckle from the bottom on my new boots, much less have it fall shut. I ski with it completely unlatched, because any extra pressure at all will cut off my circulation. The boot is tight enough that it's not a problem.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a really hard time getting into the boots because the plastic underneath the second to top buckle was pinched together and I couldn't get my foot though that part without yelping out loud. Maybe thats the problem.

That sounds VERY familiar. I get bitten on entry and especially exit every time.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Here's the deal with Tecnica - they are best-suited to someone who has a really LOW instep. So if you don't, you'll likely get some pressure points.

The good news: Tecnica liners tend to pack out. A little faster than I'd personally like...

The bad news: this may not altogether resolve for you by just wearing the boots. You might need some minor modifications. Remember that too small is remedial. Too big is not. Might not be a big deal or much $. Try it again. Pressure on top of foot a real possibility. Easy for good shop to shave a bit off that region.

FWIW, my big toe touches the end of my Tecnica liner also. This year, my big toenails don't look so great...:rolleyes:

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Read my Nordica Dobermann thread about my ordeal with tight - short boots/liners. If they've been properly fitted, they'll get better. I am currently having a toe issue, but if stay forward, it's not a problem (I think). Keep skiing them and let your fitter know your issue...

veggielasagna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have had my current boots (Atomic FR 80) since late last season. The first couple weeks were pretty painful with insert/orthodic changes and shell modifications. I take my liners out after every day I ski and the toe area has stretched about half an inch beyond the bottom of the liner it is glued to. My toes took care of it over time.

Even when I put the liners on outside of the boot all of my toes are pushed to the end putting pressure on them. However, when I lean forward into ski position most pressure is alleviated. I have to buckle loose and usually leave the two bottom buckles completely unhooked or on the loosest adjustment.

I wear a 9 shoe and have 24.5 boots (284 bsl) so the shell fit is perfect for a more performance oriented fit (so I have to start skiing that way as well!). After a few more days on the hill I think you will really like them. Unbuckle them completely at lunch and maybe push the tongue forward to help with re-circulation and they'll be packed out a bit in no time!

If nothing has changed after playing around with buckles and such after 5 or so full days I would say you need some grinding done or other modifications for sure. There are less painful days ahead, enjoy.

-veggielasagna

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
hint on getting into the boots

For those who mentioned it was excruciating to get your foot into the boot:
Yesterday, I went to my bootfitter to get some mods done. I mentioned that it was extremely difficult to get my boots on. He showed me a stupidly easy way to do it. Most of us pull the tongue forward to get in the boot. Instead, pull the tongue forward and TO THE SIDE, downward. It made all the difference in the world!!!
For your other boot issues, definitely visit a bootfitter. You'll be surprised what they can do to make the boot comfy. Mine told me to not buckle the bottom 2 buckles at all. He said the only time he buckles down is when he's going to do a double diamond.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna