• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boot Heaters

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It appears that I will once again be shopping for boot heaters. I currently have Hotronics. They didn't even make it to one full season. I bought them in the middle of last season and they worked just fine. The shop switched them to my new boots and no workie this weekend. They seemed to charge up but the right one shuts itself off after just moments and the left dials down the setting all on its own. I took a look at the wire on the right heater and it is split vertically up near the battery pack. It looks like it was done by an Exacto knife or was folded in half and developed a stress fissure.

At any rate, I've heard other disappointing stories about the fragility of Hotronics. Does anyone have a recommendation re another brand or should I just replace and hope for the best? I've been skiing for decades but last year was the first time I'd ever used heaters. I'm now spoiled and I don't want to go back.

Jilly

Staff member
Mine are Thermics. Going into 5th season, second boot. My wires are taped to the liner and come off on an angle so the battery slides on to power strap at the top buckle. Haven't lost a battery yet!!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You can replace the wire and heating pad on the Hotronics for much less than buying a new set. My wires have also split on mine so I put electrical tape on them, and so far, so good. I've got probably 250 days on mine with no issues other than the wires being fragile.

And yes, they are addictive. I forgot mine the other day and was whining all day LOL!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To be honest, I love my Hotronics. If mine broke today, I would replace them tomorrow. They are on my second pair of boots and second insole. I've had them for more than 5 years. In that time, a wire broke and I had it replaced for under $20, IIRC.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I love my Hotronics. Could not ski without them. Yes, I've had to replace the wire, but that's a lot cheaper than buying new ones. A small price to pay for warm feet.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I agree with the above on the Hotronics, love mine and don't think I could be out in such cold temperatures without them! Check first on the heating element/wires, I've had to replace mine a couple of times due to them getting squashed by a lift or the wire being frayed. It's a cheap fix if that is the issue. Also, be sure you aren't hitting your batteries with the lift when you get on, I've had that dial down the battery setting accidentally. I've had Hotronics for around 10 years and am on my second set of batteries which I was actually happy about having to replace because they had improved so much on output and length of use each day. It isn't normal to have issues with the batteries within a year, if it does turn out to be a battery issue I wonder if they are still under warranty??

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you wearing your batteries on the side? If you wear them on the back, the chair can hit them.

The wires have to be thin so you don't feel them.

If you remove your liners often you could twist or catch the wire between the liner and shell. Solution: Dry Guy boot dryers at the end of the day.

Jilly

Staff member
That's why my wires are taped to the liner. Protects them and also guides them away toward to the outside of the boot. I'll have to see if I can find the pictures. I remember taking them for someone.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I too, tape the wire to the liners vertically up the back. I have exchanged three liners for different boots and just put the very same Hotronic set-up into each liner. I cut the slits at the back of each liner and reinsert the footbed portion (where the heaters are) into whatever liner I may wish to use.

I clip the battery packs above my boot onto my baselayer leggings/tights. Most of my pants are not wide enough at the bottom to accommodate the batteries when clipped to the power strap of my boot. They stay snug in that position all day.

The wiring is encased in a very thin plastic wire cover. They are not that easy to break , so I'd not be too concerned about catching or twisting. All wire can be affected by twisting, however these wires are protected in the 1/4" wide covering for the most part. I always do my best to make sure they are laying flat when wrapped around my leg wherever I decide to mount the battery that day. And it's usually above the boot.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting. The guy who installed mine did not tape the wires so they could not move. They are more "guided" rather than "fixed in place". He made little "belt loops" up the back of the liner and the wires go through them with the ability to slide a bit through the loops. Does my description make sense?

I never had them any other way, so I didn't know there was an option.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Your description sounds good. Same placement. different method. And these wires can then be slipped out of those loops if you wanted to remove the footbed heaters to another boot. Taping is easier since replacing the tape is effortless.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I took a look at both boots last night. The wire casing on one boot is split completely through in two places. I can't see any reason why it would split in this area. It is exposed between the boot top and the battery, but there's been no twisting or crimping or it would be obvious. On that boot I'm left with 2 theories: (i) something happened during installation (doubtful - my shop is super careful and professional), or (2) kittens. I'm not seeing evident teeth marks, but the boots have been sitting for 3 weeks where the little scamps could've gotten at them.

I tried the other boot last night - the one w/o the wire issue. No go. I put the boot on and tried the heater at different levels for about 20 minutes and never felt a hint of heat.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I took a look at both boots last night. The wire casing on one boot is split completely through in two places. I can't see any reason why it would split in this area. It is exposed between the boot top and the battery, but there's been no twisting or crimping or it would be obvious. On that boot I'm left with 2 theories: (i) something happened during installation (doubtful - my shop is super careful and professional), or (2) kittens. I'm not seeing evident teeth marks, but the boots have been sitting for 3 weeks where the little scamps could've gotten at them.

I tried the other boot as well - the one w/o the wire issue. No go. I put the boot on and tried the heater at different levels for about 20 minutes and never felt a hint of heat.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Take the boots in to have them checked out. Casing split...wow. Frozen? LOL

You know, I never actually feel heat in my boots with the heaters. Never have. Only that my feet seem to stay warm enough to not notice any cold.

MissySki

Angel Diva
If you bring them to the shop, they should be able to plug each in to a source outide of your batteries to see if the element heats up. Mine has done that previously when trying to determine whether it was an element or battery issue. Did you also look at the connection? I've had the little pins inside get messed up from the aforementioned crush of the lift versus any obvious wire damage.

I also checked, and it looks like the power plus S3 and S4 models have a 2 year warranty, so get them checked and if it's the batteries it looks like you'd have a claim for sure for replacement!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna