• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boot dryer recommendations?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
My boot dryer just gave up the ghost. The one that I had was so ancient they don't even sell it anymore. Anyone have any recommendations?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'd be concerned about any dryer that actually warms the inside of the boot. I've heard that these can cause problems with custom foot beds. Hot stick type dryers, for example, are not good ideas. So are either of these that you've recommended, geargrrl and Pequenita, non-heat producing? Or am I wrong about this?

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I swear by my Thermanator. It warms the boots but it's not really hot. I've picked mine up by the prongs when it's been on and haven't burned myself at all.

I'd been using mine for 3 months when I had my bootfitter check my boots just in case - he said there wasn't any issue with the linings or shell warping. I like that it doesn't make any noise, it doesn't blow air, and I can put both of my boots and my ski gloves on it and have them dry and warmed up within 6 hours. Not the kind of thing I'd take on a plane, but I have no trouble loading it in the car with the bags when we go off on a ski trip.

ride_ski

Angel Diva
We have a really good, industrial sized one. But I can't remember the brand right now :noidea:. I'll get it for you when I get to Vt. It is rather large, blows cold air only, auto shuts off after 8 or 12 hours, has hoses that you stick in your boots and has more hose outlets on the top that you can use for gloves, etc. We can do both pairs of boots at the same time. It was fairly expensive, but I think it will last pretty much forever. We don't plan on buying another one.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, but I'm actually looking for something fairly portable. I need something I can take on my upcoming Ski Safari!

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have this one (mine is several years old, so not sure if they have made any changes): Snapdry boot dryer made by Hotronic
https://www.hotronic.com/products/sd/index.html
It doesn't really warm the inside of the boot; it blows really luke warm air. The air is basically just a bit warmer than room temp, so while the boot ends up slightly warmer than if I hadn't used it, it does not actually get "warm". It definitely does not heat up my foot beds and I would say it would fine for a moldable liner as well.
It's snaps together or apart quickly and I bring it on all my trips.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd be concerned about any dryer that actually warms the inside of the boot. I've heard that these can cause problems with custom foot beds. Hot stick type dryers, for example, are not good ideas. So are either of these that you've recommended, geargrrl and Pequenita, non-heat producing? Or am I wrong about this?

I dunno. I don't have custom footbeds, so I guess it won't be an issue for me if they do warm the insides.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

The Dry Guy one produces warm-ish air that circulates. I just got the $40 version and used it at Mammoth. I love that I can plug it into the adapter in the car on the way to the hill, just enough to keep them soft and not cold. I got the OK to use them with my ZipFits from the guys who sold me the Zipfits. They produce very little heat.

Hubby and I shared it at night. He would plug it into his boots for about 3 hours, then I'd put it in for a couple more, then again in the morning.

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I picked up one from Costco for $40 ish a few weeks ago... it's pretty lightweight, can dry 2 pairs of boots at a time, and has a setting for heat or no heat. This is my first boot dryer, bought on the recommendation of my bootfitter. It works as it should :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
Sounds like I' m using the same thing, different name.

16766_6CTHDKASDKDG12_Prod_1_NA

Doesn't get hot enough to warp anything and I had 2 kinds of custom footbeds. I do remove the liner from the boots to dry faster.

They now make them with little fans to dry faster.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have same ones as Pequenita. I like them, they don't get hot and are pretty portable, just about body temp or slightly higher. They do take long time to dry the boots, you would want to leave it on overnight at least.

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the same DryGuy that Naskis has... in fact, we have two of them. I like the heat/no heat option because you can use it when you want (kids wet gloves, cheap rental boots etc) and turn it off for DH's boots for example. Between 5 pair boots and 5 pair gloves, we keep both running pretty much from apres ski until bedtime. I like the 3-hour maximum timer as well because you can put it on and head to dinner and it will turn off as necessary.

It's not all that portable, IMO, for air travel. But when we drive somewhere on the East Coast, they both come with us. We put them in the reusable grocery bags and add in clothes or chips or videos and they're not a problem...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga