• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boot bargains

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm doing a littler charitable work for my sister here. For once, I am actually not envious of her small feet that gets her all the great cute sales shoes on the racks. In the ski world, it's making things hard for her.

For Christmas, she picked up a pair of used Dynastar Exclusive Carve skis and some poles. Now she needs the final piece of hte puzzle: some boots. Initially she got some used Langes, but after wearing them around the house some more, she realized they were pinching her calves. She's short and muscular, so she problem is having an even harder time with the calf pinching than I was. She and my mother have gone to other stores in search of some other used boots (she's a college student, and my mom does not want to splurge). At the same place where I just purchased my new boots, they only had one boot in 22.5, her size, the Nordica Olympia SM 10, which comes in at a cool $600.

Our skiing abilities are similar...upper end intermediate, but our styles are different. As you can see by the Carves, she's a groomer girl, whereas I love the messy, sloppy stuff. So I figure she could do with a bit stiffer boot (the ones I just bought are 65-75 adj). But we need to find something inexpensive.

Divas, any suggestions on great resources for bargain boots or suggestions on past models on closeout that we might look for? Is the Beast 10 going to be too soft for her?

Thanks for any input, direction. She's probably super jealous of my new boots (even though I paid for mine, and mom's picking up her tab), so I thought I'd try to help out in any way I can.

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, and to reply to my own thread...my sister is about 5'2.5" and 140ish lbs I think. Not quite as athletic as I am (not an ex-rugby player :laugh:), but not a lightweight in the muscle department either.

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
they only had one boot in 22.5, her size, the Nordica Olympia SM 10, which comes in at a cool $600.

not to completely hijack your thread, but those are the boots I've been drooling over. I'm having a hard time justifying spending that much $$ on a boot.

I've tried them on, they fit, they're comfortable and I LOVE the color. It's the $600 price tag I can do without :( I wonder if there will be any left come close out season.

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
not to completely hijack your thread, but those are the boots I've been drooling over. I'm having a hard time justifying spending that much $$ on a boot.

I've tried them on, they fit, they're comfortable and I LOVE the color. It's the $600 price tag I can do without :( I wonder if there will be any left come close out season.

I know boot names change occasionally...I wonder if there was another name for this same boot in past seasons?

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not to be a spoil sport or a downer here... But she really needs to find boots that fit her feet/legs properly. This means not just the mondo size being "right". For one things some brands vary greatly in what a particular mondo size actually is. Also different brands are designed for differently shaped feet and calves, as well as having numerous variations between different lines within the same brand. If she could go try on some more boots that would be ideal to find a brand/line that works. I know that Ken Jones (in Nashua) has numerous used boots for sale but I don't know if they'd have an appropriate size. It might be worth her/your/your mom's time to call some ski shops to see if they sell used.

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know boot names change occasionally...I wonder if there was another name for this same boot in past seasons?

I have no idea. There are so many boots. The Speed Machine is an 8, 10 and 12. The men's is 10, 12, and 14. Then there's the Sport Machine, same thing.

I was pretty sure I was going to go with a Dalbello boot again. Then I walked into the local ski shop for a block of wax. They don't carry Dalbello but they do have Nordica.

I should have gotten my wax and left, but noooooo....I had to try that damn thing on!

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not to be a spoil sport or a downer here... But she really needs to find boots that fit her feet/legs properly. This means not just the mondo size being "right". For one things some brands vary greatly in what a particular mondo size actually is. Also different brands are designed for differently shaped feet and calves, as well as having numerous variations between different lines within the same brand. If she could go try on some more boots that would be ideal to find a brand/line that works. I know that Ken Jones (in Nashua) has numerous used boots for sale but I don't know if they'd have an appropriate size. It might be worth her/your/your mom's time to call some ski shops to see if they sell used.

I was more looking for suggestions of places to look. Of course she needs proper fit, but I figured if I could also find out if there was an older equivalent of the boot she liked to look out for. She goes to school in Burlington, Vermont, so I'm sure they have some places up there to look. I also thought that other Nordica boots might theoretically fit her calf shape, since she and I had luck with two different models. Anything to get her some half decent boots without spending more than my mom wants.

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
when does she go back to school? I know there's a couple of ski shops down by Church St. I haven't been in any of them but I might ths weekend. I have to take my son back to VT and not sure if we're going to ski or not. If we do I won't have time to go boot hunting.

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
She went back tonight. She's an RA and works at the student center, so she has to get back a bit earlier. I'll probably call her and give her a pep talk. She's probably a bit frustrated right now.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A good fitter can find many, many ways to eliminate calf pinch if the boots fit really well otherwise. They can add heel lifts which may also change stance (not always a good thing), they can cut, curl, or scallop the upper cuff, remove spoilers that may be attached to the boot or the liner, or even cut parts from the liner.

Really, really.....go to a fitter and find something that fits the foot first. Then, if you must, find the same boot used/online/discounted and have it modified later (but be prepared to pay for the modification).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna