• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Body armor?

abc

Banned
So most here are wearing helmets. But who here wears body protections?

This question is "inspired" by obastable's fight with trees and fences, which reminded me of my own epic battle against a tree trunk last season that put me on the sideline for several weeks... :(

When I downhill mountain bike, I (sometimes) wear a crash suit (when it's cool enough to bear to wear it). I can envision wearing something similar for skiing and it wouldn't bother me. Like helmet, it's not an absolute protection. But since we're wearing tons of stuff just to keep warm anyway, what's one extra layer of foam?

So, who else wear back protector or other armor? What's the experience?

m185

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am generally skiing with my 6 year olds so we aren't in the trees...but my daughter (11) who takes more risks and also boards is totally armored up...She wears special pants under her ski pants that are polartec but also have knee pads, hip protectors & butt pads...her top half as the same deal...shoulder, elbow, lower back all has some extra padding.

She got taken out by another boarder recently and ended up with some bruises under the pads but without the armor - she would have been in way way worse shape. The great thing with her gear is that you can't tell she has any on at all. She only uses that polartec layer and her outer ski jacket & pants and she stays nice & warm!

She did moan initially when we went & bought it - but now she's asked for an extra set so she can use it when that one is in the wash - the drying takes forever since it can't go in the dryer with that padding in it.

altagirl

Staff member
You know - I own all that stuff for mountain biking, but have never really given any thought to wearing it skiing. Mainly because it would require that I buy a larger jacket so it would fit underneath. Well, and I really don't feel like I take that many risks skiing these days.

abc

Banned
I got a jacket that's one size too big even when wearing mid-layers! :smile:

But that's not the reason, really. It's got to do with my losing the fight with that tree...

It's not really "neccessary". Just like biking, it's not going to "save" me if I crash real bad. But it does reduce the pain and bruising if I do get into yet another fight with another tree.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wear a padded race suit when racing but still get some brusing when whacking gates. I hadn't really thought about wearing it skiing, but after my recent encounter, I might.

astridhj

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I always ski with my back protection and helmet. I feel naked without them, and the one time I forgot to bring them, I skied like a never ever, and gave up after an hour.

My bf has the full body armor and he tries to convince me to buy it as well. i am thinking about it.

tamlyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I never used to wear a helmet except for downhill
races and when it was once required for GS. The pads on my old Slalom sweater were alot more dense than the pads on my current Austrian Ski Team GS suit, although I have a pair of DXL racing pants and top that have very dense pads on the back, knees, thighs and elbows. I am going to get a slalom jacket (worn under the outer clothes) since they have hard cups, and I did clip a gate with my beast a couple times and boy does that hurt!
Tami (gravity girl)

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't really thought about wearing body armor while skiing, other than my helmet, but with all the advancements in materials used for this type of thing, I'd consider it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga