• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Blizzard Black Pearls - 2015 still good?

mhski

Diva in Training
I found a pair of used blizzard black pearl 88s for <$200. After having demo’d these through the years, I’m seriously considering! That said, they’re the model from ~2015 … what tech upgrades have happened through the years? Will 2015s still suffice if they’re in good condition? I saw there was a major update to the core tech in 2021, but otherwise having trouble finding comparisons of different years online! Any help would be greatly appreciated so I know the difference between used and new, besides the look and price tag :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Which model year(s) did you demo? I remember there was a noticeable change around 2017. Not sure what changed between 2011 and 2015.

I have the original 2011 Black Pearl, before it was called the BP88 because the wider and narrower models had different names. Quite different from what I demo'd in Feb 2018 at Taos.

mhski

Diva in Training
I demo’d in 2018, 2019, and 2021 (which I know was different). The price tag is just tempting me so much with the older model… good to know that there was a change around 2017 though. Are your 2011s still doing the job even with the older tech?

Anyone else know more about the change around 2017?

mhski

Diva in Training
Amazing thank you so much!
Bummer that I’m missing that carbon core, but will probably still purchase given the older models seem to still be loved and that price is so tempting - maybe skiing on the used ones will convince me to buy a new pair of the latest in a couple years… appreciate all the help!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I demo’d in 2018, 2019, and 2021 (which I know was different). The price tag is just tempting me so much with the older model… good to know that there was a change around 2017 though. Are your 2011s still doing the job even with the older tech?

Anyone else know more about the change around 2017?
I bought the 2011 model used from a Diva in 2012. They pretty much lost their camber after 4-5 seasons. Of course, there wasn't that much to begin with. The design of the 2017 model was quite different. I actually liked it better when demo'ing but decided to go with different skis. I used to say that I wouldn't want the original BP as a daily driver if I lived in the northeast. That wasn't true for the BP88 after 2017.

Still have the old BPs as rock skis but only when I'm driving to ski. Not really worth flying with them.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@Marz-which BP had the flappy tips? All I remember is I hated them. Don't remember which year..
It was the original version, which came out in 2011. Pretty sure the design stayed the same through 2015 or 2016. Definitely flappy on hardback groomers the few times I skied them in the northeast.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
I did not like 2014 BP88, at all, not at all. Flappy tips for sure and not stable for me at my non-aggressive speed nor on ice. The 20/21s were surprisingly very different on demoing, related to fundamental changes in construction, bought them and have been very pleased with both stability at speed and nimbleness (is that a word?)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga