• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Blizzard black pearl 88 vs 97

jules_

Diva in Training
Hi all! I'm debating between the blizzard black pearl 88s and 97s and would love some advice.

I live in Ontario and am a very experienced skier. I mostly ski in Vermont and Quebec, but I like to do an annual trip to the Canadian Rockies (I'd like to someday ski Europe and the U.S. as well). I'm looking for a versatile ski that can do it all. Realistically most of my skiing is going to be on groomers so I need a ski that can handle ice, groomed trails, and corn snow - but ideally I would also like something that can handle powder reasonably well for those occasional trips out west (doesn't need to be an optimal powder ski but I want a bit of float so I can still have fun in those conditions). I demo'd the 88s a few years ago in Fernie BC and absolutely loved them but I didn't try them in powder. I loved them so much I was about to buy them but came across some reviews that said the 97s are basically the same but with better powder capabilities. That description sounded ideal for my needs but I'm a little worried about the weight. As much as I would love some float I don't want to sacrifice too much on agility on groomers since I don't ski powder too often.

Like I said I'm a very experienced skier but I wouldn't say I'm aggressive. I don't spend much time in the moguls but I love to ski in the glades so I need to be able to make fast tight turns, which is why I'm hesitating a bit on the weight of the 97s.

Does anyone have any experience with these models?

Thanks so much in advance!

Christy

Angel Diva
I do but I have the 2019s and I believe the ski composition has changed. Mine are actually 98s. I do love them thought I ski the PNW so really different snow than you have.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The newest version of the BP 97s are a bit of a barge--definitely not quick and I think would be a handful in tight places. Why are you only focusing on the BP line? The 88s are definitely a fun ski, but there's more to a good all-mountain ski that you'd like to take in powder than just width. Shape and construction come into play. I have found that the Santa Ana line is super friendly and fun in soft snow of any kind, without giving up stability or decent grip on harder snow. Another option to consider in the Blizzard line is the Sheeva 9.

What skis are you currently on, and will this new pair be a compliment to those? Also, what are your stats if you don't mind sharing?

Jilly

Staff member
I picked up the Santa Anna 88 for west skiing. I don't find them any good here in the east on the ice. As for powder, if its that deep, rent a pair of powder skis.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
welcome to the forum! Given that you ski primarily on the east coast I would urge you to consider the BP88s over the 97s. Others on this forum ski the Sheeva 9s and I think they are a great ski for your use case as well.

rivarunnamomma

Certified Ski Diva
I agree with @Jilly. Buy for Ontario and rent wider/powder skis if/when you head out West. Trying to find one ski to do both is a significant compromise either way - especially for your "daily driver". You could even "demo" (fancy word for rent) a couple of different powder-oriented skis in Whistler and find out what you like ... and perhaps find a set used or at the end of season at a good price for your future trips.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga