• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Black Pearl 82...please help choosing length :)

Yiari

Diva in Training
Hello everyone,

I'm from Germany - and we don't have such a great forum, that's why I ended up here :smile:.

I am 36 years old, 157cm/158cm and weight is about 52kg.
I ski since I am 4 years old and am probably an advanced intermediate skier: I like to carve on groomers and my technique ist good as long as I am on blue and red (in Germany easy and middle) groomers. I don't like moguls. I have little experience off piste, but want to learn that in the future....probably more right beside the piste.
The last years I was pretty happy with my Atomice race carving ski (145cm) but they sometimes felt too short and are soooooo heavy. If there are snow heaps(?) for example at the end of the day they get stuck and skying becomes very hard/excausting.

We have two kids (5 and 2,5) so I would like a ski for all different kinds of snow, which is more forgiving, can carve and cruise - a ski that helps me to be confident and is a little playful to do all kinds of silly things with our 5 year old. I read a lot about the black pearl 82 and yumi and decided I would like to try the BP. Unfortunately I can't demo the ski....so I have to decide without it.

Do you think the BP could be the right ski for me? Normally I would go for the BP 82 in 152cm....but I read a lot, that choosing one size longer might be the better choice. So that would be 159cm.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated :smile:

shadoj

Angel Diva
Hi, @Yiari! :welcome:

I am currently skiing a pair of this year's (21/22) Black Pearl 82's in 152cm. Bought without demoing, but I'm super-happy with them so far! :becky:
For reference, I'm ~105-110lbs, 4'10" (~147.5cm). I consider myself fairly advanced, but also often ski with beginners and enjoy cruising the groomers. I ski in the Midwest USA, where the snow can often be hard or icy. I haven't yet had trouble with edge grip, stability, or chatter when I've pushed my speed a bit; I am able to bend them fine with my weight. You probably could go either way with length, with the 152s being a hair more maneuverable and lighter, but the 159s would still handle fine and if you're not wanting to do moguls, will give you just a little bit more ski stability underfoot for your ventures into off-piste crud. So much for narrowing that down ;)

Enjoy your new skis!

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello everyone,

I'm from Germany - and we don't have such a great forum, that's why I ended up here :smile:.

I ski since I am 4 years old and am probably an advanced intermediate skier: I like to carve on groomers and my technique ist good as long as I am on blue and red (in Germany easy and middle) groomers. I don't like moguls. I have little experience off piste, but want to learn that in the future....probably more right beside the piste.
The last years I was pretty happy with my Atomice race carving ski (145cm) but they sometimes felt too short and are soooooo heavy. If there are snow heaps(?) for example at the end of the day they get stuck and skying becomes very hard/excausting.

We have two kids (5 and 2,5) so I would like a ski for all different kinds of snow, which is more forgiving, can carve and cruise - a ski that helps me to be confident and is a little playful to do all kinds of silly things with our 5 year old. I read a lot about the black pearl 82 and yumi and decided I would like to try the BP. Unfortunately I can't demo the ski....so I have to decide without it.

Do you think the BP could be the right ski for me? Normally I would go for the BP 82 in 152cm....but I read a lot, that choosing one size longer might be the better choice. So that would be 159cm.

Do you know what the effective edge is on your Atomic skis? It's possible that going from a 145 to a 159 might be a bigger step up than you want, especially on the BP. The BP is very directional and not very playful - I myself didn't like it very much when I demoed it, because it felt harder to maneuver compared to other skis I tried that day. It won't be the best ski for learning off-piste skills, as it prefers carving groomers at higher speeds and does not like tight maneuvering at low speeds, which is usually what you want when you're learning off-piste. The Yumi will definitely be a much friendlier ski - I demoed it the same day as the BP and it is definitely way more agile and handles tighter terrain better. That being said, it's still not the most nimble ski out there. You might also take a look at the Rossignol Stargazer, Blizzard Sheeva 9, Liberty Genesis, and Line Pandora.

I'm 155 cm / 50 kg, when I demoed I was probably around your skill level mainly sticking to groomers (blacks on the tiny east coast hills, blues on west coast mountains). I bought the Stargazers in 154 after demoing them back to back against the BPs and Yumis and loved them for progressing, I do mostly off-piste skiing now. Main downsides is they are light and have no metal, so they get knocked around a bit in crud (although Rossignol does a good job of keeping them damp for their weight) and they have a bit of a speed limit (which I only really found around 40-45 mph - you may need to convert that to km) compared to my Faction Dictators.

The Sheeva 9 is similarly light, maneuverable and playful, but imo had a lower speed limit compared to the Stargazers. They might do better in crud though since they have some metal in them, but I didn't test them in that. I do have the Sheeva 10 though and they feel like crud busters in comparison to the Stargazers (but they're a lot heavier and wider underfoot).

Yiari

Diva in Training
Thank you so much for your input so far! :smile:

I already read about the Line Pandora and the Sheeva 9 - but because in reality I will ski probably almost always on groomers...I thought it might be better to concentrate on the BP in 82. What do you think?

I will be on groomers, but would like a ski that can make a short trip into the soft snow beside the groomers. Our kids are pretty young and we have a lot of small skiing terrains nearby. Bigger ones are Kössen and Steinplatte (we live in Bavaria at the Chiemsee). So in the next 3 years I probably won't get to skiing in powder.
So I want a ski that can carve (because I love that) :smile:, which can go fast (but I am pretty small and not heavy, so probably doesn't have to be very stiff) but is also good maneuverable when I go slower because of the kids and just want to cruise a little. I hate it, when my ski doesn't hold on icy patches - which we have quite a lot here but I also want it to flow/just ski through crud, slushy/wetter snow.

My Atomics race ti sl are a little longer than I thougt :smile:...they are 149cm.
122x70x105, Radius 10,3m

A few weeks ago I skied Völkl allmountains from a friend - I don't remember the name of the ski. But they were 161cm long and I think 100mm underfoot. I found them very steady and surprisingly almost better on icy parts than my atomics - which leaves me a little puzzled. Could it be that my atomics feel like they don't have a good hold on ice because they are so short? Or maybe the edge needs to be ground?

Yiari

Diva in Training
Oh and I really love to carve middle to long turns. I am not very good and therefore don't really like short turns - the ones you would ski in very steep terrain and off piste. I am not sure if I should buy a ski that helps me to improve this skill or if I should buy one that is not really made for shorter turns because I won't do them anyway *haha*

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! We don't see many posts from Germany but there are quite a few Divas who ski in Europe.

I ski since I am 4 years old and am probably an advanced intermediate skier: I like to carve on groomers and my technique ist good as long as I am on blue and red (in Germany easy and middle) groomers.

Given your skiing background and stats, and the fact that you'll be skiing long groomers with your kids for a few years, the BP82 in 152cm makes sense to me. I'm definitely older and a bit more petite. The skis I use for my home hill and in the east where I mainly ski groomers is 148cm and 78 underfoot. I got skis that are 10cm shorter than the all-mountain skis I take to the Rockies where I'm always hoping for fresh snow and I ski bumps and trees with my ski buddies.

While the Yumi was okay during a couple short demo runs a few years ago, in general I have more fun on BPs than any Volkl skis. Haven't tried the BP82 but have enjoyed the BP88 and BP98. But those were earlier models that are a bit different than the current model year from what I understand. The surprise was when I was using the BP88 @145 for a couple lessons at Taos. I thought they would be too short but they turned out to be good fun. They handled a little speed on groomers better than I expected as well.

marzNC

Angel Diva
A few weeks ago I skied Völkl allmountains from a friend - I don't remember the name of the ski. But they were 161cm long and I think 100mm underfoot. I found them very steady and surprisingly almost better on icy parts than my atomics - which leaves me a little puzzled. Could it be that my atomics feel like they don't have a good hold on ice because they are so short? Or maybe the edge needs to be ground?
When I've rented or demo's skis over 100mm, I'm happiest with lengths in the 160-164 range. Wide skis usually have more rocker (up turn) at tip and tail. So the "effective length" is shorter than for narrower skis. On a deep powder day, I've had good fun on skis that were 110 underfoot and 166cm.

If you haven't had the Atomics tuned for a while, may be worth getting the edges done.

I don't know anything about race skis. My narrowest skis were old Volkl AC1, 72 underfoot @149 that I originally bought used for my daughter. She switched to telemark in middle school so I ended up using them while I was shopping for mid-70 skis to replace an old pair of Rossi skis that were 127/75/108.

Yiari

Diva in Training
@marzNC
Yes, I probably have to get the edges done at my Atomics.
So you think the 152cm would be the better choice for me - instead of 159cm? Damn, the 152cm just sold out at the online shop I was going for...but it was the 19/20 version. Another one has the 159cm of 20/21 on sale - the teal blue version. But that might be too long.

@chasinghorizons
I looked up this test:

And in the comments they say, that the yumi and rossingnol experience have a better performance on icy conditions than the Line Pandora or the BP. Would you go with that?

That's what they say about the Pandora 84, which sounds also very good.

The Rossignol Stargazer seems to be more oriented off piste - or is that impression wrong?

The Rossignol Experience seems to have many different versions??!!
Would that be one similar to the ski I am looking for?
Hm, they sound a little bit boring to me...maybe because they don't really mention the "carving" ;)

The Völkl Yumi sounds fun!! But unfortunately they are a little expensive for me right now. And I think they changed the ski very much....so the ones from last season, that will go on sale are very different from the current one.

Of the following skis, which would you say is better on groomers and hard/icy terrain/ carving? Is my listing correct?....sort of...

1. Völkl Yumi 84
2. Blizzard BP 82
3. Line Pandora 84
4. Rossignol Experience 84
5. Rossignol Stargazer 90

I read about a very special ski in another forum or thread and cannot remember the name....arrg...maybe it comes back to my mind.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC
So you think the 152cm would be the better choice for me - instead of 159cm? Damn, the 152cm just sold out at the online shop I was going for...but it was the 19/20 version. Another one has the 159cm of 20/21 on sale - the teal blue version. But that might be too long.
You really could go with either length. My all-mountain skis are 159cm. When I was skiing groomers more than off-piste, I had skis that were 154cm and 75 underfoot. Remember, I'm a little shorter and lighter. When I was skiing with my daughter as she was learning (ages 4-7), it was easier to have shorter skis.

I think @SkiBam is a petite skier who likes the Yumi. She's skied in Europe so may be able to help more.

Jilly

Staff member
Yes the Stargazer is more off piste orientated. The Experience is their all mountain ski and more what you're looking for. I also think it's stiffer than the BP. So it will hold the ice better.

Get your Atomic's tuned. That will make a world of difference.

shadoj

Angel Diva
Damn, the 152cm just sold out at the online shop I was going for...but it was the 19/20 version. Another one has the 159cm of 20/21 on sale - the teal blue version. But that might be too long.

Worth noting that there was a construction change between the 20/21 model and this year's 21/22 model of the Black Pearl 82. The middle got a bit stiffer, the tips got a little softer, torsional stiffness better; the 21/22 is supposedly more maneuverable at lower speeds than before, plus got a bit more stable at higher speed. Rumor is the 22/23 will have the tips/tails tweaked to be even more playful/approachable.

The Rossi Experience series is solid; that's a great choice, too.

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC

@chasinghorizons
I looked up this test:

And in the comments they say, that the yumi and rossingnol experience have a better performance on icy conditions than the Line Pandora or the BP. Would you go with that?

That's what they say about the Pandora 84, which sounds also very good.

The Rossignol Stargazer seems to be more oriented off piste - or is that impression wrong?

The Rossignol Experience seems to have many different versions??!!
Would that be one similar to the ski I am looking for?
Hm, they sound a little bit boring to me...maybe because they don't really mention the "carving" ;)

The Völkl Yumi sounds fun!! But unfortunately they are a little expensive for me right now. And I think they changed the ski very much....so the ones from last season, that will go on sale are very different from the current one.

Of the following skis, which would you say is better on groomers and hard/icy terrain/ carving? Is my listing correct?....sort of...

1. Völkl Yumi 84
2. Blizzard BP 82
3. Line Pandora 84
4. Rossignol Experience 84
5. Rossignol Stargazer 90

I read about a very special ski in another forum or thread and cannot remember the name....arrg...maybe it comes back to my mind.
Yup the Stargazers are more off-piste oriented and are not great on ice. I probably wouldn't get the Pandora either if ice and carving are your things. The BP is probably the better choice. I also hear a lot about Stockli for carving and ice but I know they tend to be expensive.

VTborn

Certified Ski Diva
I have found the BP to be better on ice than the Yumi. They don’t have a ton of rocker like some all mountain skis so I am guessing you’d be fine with the 152. I am 160cm and was happy on the 145.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
You really could go with either length. My all-mountain skis are 159cm. When I was skiing groomers more than off-piste, I had skis that were 154cm and 75 underfoot. Remember, I'm a little shorter and lighter. When I was skiing with my daughter as she was learning (ages 4-7), it was easier to have shorter skis.

I think @SkiBam is a petite skier who likes the Yumi. She's skied in Europe so may be able to help more.
I've skied on the Experience (then Temptation) 84 and the Yumi. Skied on both out west and loved the Yumis so bought some. They're not bad at all on eastern hardpack (I try to avoid real ice!) though I've now got SuperJoys as well.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've skied on the Experience (then Temptation) 84 and the Yumi. Skied on both out west and loved the Yumis so bought some. They're not bad at all on eastern hardpack (I try to avoid real ice!) though I've now got SuperJoys as well.
Which would you bring to ski long groomers in the Alps?

oakvilleskier

Diva in Training
Hello everyone,

I just bought a pair of Black Pearl 82. Beautiful, I LOVE them. Coming off a pair of 15 year old HEAD Lightening. The Black Pearl is aggressive, responsive, great in short and long turns. It is a super All Mountain ski. I ski in Southern Ontario, Canada so nothing like Germany! I am 172 cm, weigh 59 kg and I bought the 159cm. It is super stable, the width underfoot is tremendous through crud (built up snow), it grabs very well on ice. My skiing is done on well groomed surfaces that get chewed up by afternoon. I was cautioned not to purchase anything too short, as stability is an issue for me (60 years old), and I am cautious these days. I am VERY pleased with my purchase ... $$ well spent. I did a lot of research and watched many youtube videos where the ski was tested. I decided for myself the BP82 would be for me, then I went to a ski shop and after speaking to the sales rep, he suggested the BP82 for me, without me telling him that was the ski I was considering.
Best of luck!

Yiari

Diva in Training
Thank you so much for your answers!!!
All the ones of you that ski a BP 82. Could you tell me which years model you have?

The 22 is still pretty expensive here. 375€ without bindings

the 20/21 is now on sale - but only in 159cm (349€ incl squire 11 tcx 90)

The 19/20 is osale and available in 152 - 371€ incl Marker squire 11

@oakvilleskier
Good to hear you are happy with the BP!!
if you ski it in 159cm with your height I should probably go with the 152

yes, stockli is expensive!

so it seems to be that some of you prefer the yumi and some the BP on hardpack and icy patches. Both skis are probably great.

I will try and read a little more on the rossignol experience and the Head joy series...these series still confuse ne because they have so many different models/skis

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna