• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Björkliden Sweden April-May

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2nd ski trip away from my home mountain in 22 years did not disappoint.

Björkliden is located at latitude 68 north, which is above the arctic circle, a few degrees furthernorth than northern Iceland, and known for the best aurora watching.

The resort consists of 6 surface lifts, and has about 1500 vert with most of it above treeline. 3rd most vert of swedish ski resorts. One can take an overnight train from Stockholm or fly into Kiruna, an hour and half bus ride from the ski area.

The resort has one hotel with one restaurant. There is a nice rental shop for alpine, nordic and touring gear.

The grooming is minimal and while I scored 8 inches of lovely heavy cream cheese on day one, day 2 was not so lovely. Not having any chairlifts means no rest for legs or feet. In a storm the vis goes down to zero whoch was quite interesting.

Loved the views and am so thankful I can finally say that I have alpine skied one of my two home countries.

The view from my hotel room at 1am. Even in spring there is not much night this far north.
Having major tech issues uploading the images upright. Sorry.

Attachments

• 20230429_104009.jpg
    20230429_104009.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230501_003115.jpg
    20230501_003115.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230430_163127.jpg
    20230430_163127.jpg
    678.1 KB · Views: 15

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh so cool! Having surface lifts only would definitely be tiring pretty quickly. Glad you are back on skis again!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh so cool! Having surface lifts only would definitely be tiring pretty quickly. Glad you are back on skis again!
Especially since the middle poma connevting lower and upper mountain was diwn for the restvof their season. They used snowmobiles towing 3 to 5 people holding on to a loop in the rope. It was steep, uneven and atvtimes only two feet between the fron of my skis and the back of the skis of the person in front of me. I confess to being gripped!

coldthrill

Angel Diva
Was so curious about your trip, as my daughter is heading to Stockholm for a semester abroad in August. I was so happy to hear you were skiing again, let alone in Sweden! Kudos for skiing without lifts. Wow

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@coldthrill Thank you! I was visiting my dad and sis in Stockholm, and took a solo weekend trip to meet my distant cousins. I have only mountain biked in Åre, but that is the primo ski destination and much easier to get to. I hope she has a fantastic time and that you can visit her twice. Once around the winter holidays and once in late spring.

coldthrill

Angel Diva
@coldthrill Thank you! I was visiting my dad and sis in Stockholm, and took a solo weekend trip to meet my distant cousins. I have only mountain biked in Åre, but that is the primo ski destination and much easier to get to. I hope she has a fantastic time and that you can visit her twice. Once around the winter holidays and once in late spring.
Thank you so much!! Actually, she's going in the fall — not what she wanted, but I'm sure it will be gorgeous. Wondering if it's better go "pick her up" in mid-December, after a quick solo ski trip, or visit in late October. Both would be awesome, of course! Your trip sounds so wonderful! I may have to check out Åre. Thanks for the tip!

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How cool @snoWYmonkey thank you for sharing! I have been to Stockholm and Uppsala for a scientific collaboration during my Ph.D. years ago now (getting old lol). I was there in February of 2009 I think, and I didn't start skiing yet, I think I started skiing in 2010 or 2011. I loved Stockholm and Uppsala, I would have loved to go back and travel north to Kiruna and ski Are at some point.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You are not old. Completes my masters in the early 90s...that's getting older.

I have a distant cousin in Uppsala that I correspond with. She taught HS science her whole life.

The far northbis amazing...snow is very ho hum.

I am visualizing a return to sweden for you!

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You are not old. Completes my masters in the early 90s...that's getting older.

I have a distant cousin in Uppsala that I correspond with. She taught HS science her whole life.

The far northbis amazing...snow is very ho hum.

I am visualizing a return to sweden for you!
What was the snow like? You posted that one of the days snow was like cream cheese, so is it heavier/wet snow?

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It was very thick fresh heavy snow on day one and some said it was the best of the season. Yikes. Probably 8 to 10 inches. Day two was unevenly compacted snow from day before with very small narrow groomed section. Not sure I would return to sweden or iceland for alpine skiing, but thinking nordic in norway or finland next. Have never heard that snow is much to travel there for unlike Japan. I went to meet new relatives and just visit the far north and had a blast. Skiing was the extra bonus.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, what a cool spot and what an amazing trip. Are most of the visitors there from Sweden? Are they even open in midwinter when it's dark all the time or is more of a 3 season place?

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@RachelV Great questions. All the other visitors that I ran into were either Swedish or other europeans. The few non Swedes were there for the ski touring and helicopter skiing it seemed.

The area opens around February 10th. I did not see any lights for night skiing, so I suspect it is quite dark then.

I would probably only return to ski tour, but even then somewhat challenging snow conditions and limited grooming would likely have me come in summer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna