• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

binding mounts for women

suebee66

Diva in Training
Help!! I am putting the idea back and forth about forward binding mounts for women..i have heard a great deal that this does help, but then I hear otherwise.I recently boguht a pair of volkl kenjas and i was feeling i was leaning too far back, so adjusted binding to 2cm forward now feel out of balance..I am 5"4 weigh 140 and have size 156 skis,,anyone have advice or have tried the kenjas or another freestyle ski..did you move the mounts forward..when i demo'd these skis i instantly fell in love with them and skied in my "sweetspot: all day, so am trying to get back to that stance..any advice..thanks

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have Auras and they were originally mounted on the line as recommended by Volkl, but I have smaller boots now so it's like they are mounted 1cm forward. I don't notice any difference in handling. However, it's really strange that you decided that moving bindings forward will address the leaning back issue. I understand that leaning back might occur when you feel that you don't have enough tip, but in this case logically would be to move bindings back to creat the missing tip. Sometimes people move bindings forward to give them better control over the tips to make them feel shorter. But your skis don't sound long for your height. maybe you should try to keep it at recommended line and then ask a ski instructor to assess your stance?

altagirl

Staff member
I'm one of those that doesn't like forward mounting at all....

But it's a personal preference thing - we're not all built the same so you've got to find what works best for you.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you demoed them and loved them (most likely mounted "on the line" since they were demos), why did you choose to mount yours 2 cm forward??

"Leaning too far back" says boot or technique problem, not ski problem, to me.

JMHO, as always.
Oh, and I'm another one that doesn't like forward mounted skis. In fact, my favorite pair of Auras is mounted 3/4" back.

suebee66

Diva in Training
I guess when the tech mentioned about liking the center mount I assumed they put the binding a little more forward than the usual place, but I will probably put binding back to center line..

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to have my bindings mounted 2 cm forward, but that was when I was skiing on "unisex" (eg mens) skis. (Jeannie Thoren, a former racer and even greater innovator/advocate for women's equipment recommended it years ago.) I have Volkl Kenjas, and had them mounted on center, since they are a women's ski. Seems to work fine. I can always tell when I'm in the backseat though, because the fronts wobble. Some shops have a machine that you stand in your skis and boots on, and it evaluates where the bindings should be mounted. (fore/aft balancing).

Jilly

Staff member
Quite often a women's ski has the center forward. Remember its the centre of the side cut, not necessarily the middle of the ski. Directly centred, or middle of the ski is the park preferred place.

Oh, and when I was on unisex skis, mounted at the mark.

altagirl

Staff member
If you demoed them and loved them (most likely mounted "on the line" since they were demos), why did you choose to mount yours 2 cm forward??

"Leaning too far back" says boot or technique problem, not ski problem, to me.

JMHO, as always.
Oh, and I'm another one that doesn't like forward mounted skis. In fact, my favorite pair of Auras is mounted 3/4" back.

Also depends on what we mean exactly by this phrase. If you're feeling leaned back just standing on the skis, something is up with the boots, bindings... something.

If you are meaning something like - the sweet spot (where you need to pressure the ski to make it flex and carve properly) is under/behind your heel - that's a mount thing. But that might be reading too much into what you were describing.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
2 cm. is a lot, in terms of fore-aft adjustment. If you have bindings that allow you to make adjustments, I'd try 0.5 cm or 1 cm, but not 2.

Still, I'm not sure what you mean by leaning too far back. Do you mean you are too far back on your skis, so they are hard to turn?

I prefer women's skis mounted at the specified location, or perhaps 0.5 to 1 cm ahead; I've found it gives me more precise control over my ski trips in bumps and difficult terrain. Then again, I'm not skiing deep powder.

B

B.E.G.

Mine is 1 cm forward. I ski the 156 and I probably should have gotten the 149s (I'm 5'1, ~105 lbs.) and when I talked to my ski shop about my concerns about the 156 being too long (Kenjas, mine, are not rockered), he moved the bindings 1 cm forward. I haven't had any issues, but I'm no expert so it's hard to say. I know that I skied a lot of skis in the 150s while demoing and most of those, we actually moved the bindings forward when I demoed them, so I may just be used to it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga