• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Binding Help! - need help: Tyrolia Attack 12 or the Atomic Warden 11 binding for Atomic Vantage 90s

brewski

Certified Ski Diva
Ladies, need your help one more time. I've done countless hours of research and i'm torn between these two bindings for the Atomic Vantage 90 CTI's:

Tyrolia Attack 12
Atomic Warden 11

I currently have the Marker Griffons on my BP's, and I find them very reliable, but man are they a pain to step into unless you are on hard pack.

Thanks!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

brewski

Certified Ski Diva
Do you happen to know if the stand height really make a difference? I read the attacks have 17mm and the atomic wardens 24mm.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you happen to know if the stand height really make a difference? I read the attacks have 17mm and the atomic wardens 24mm.

I think it matters more to some people than others. For me, as long as the interface is solid, it doesn't matter so much. I seem to recall a rule of thumb that you want more height for racing (room for more angle), and lower for powder (because ... I don't know why). But I can't swear to that.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I haven't tried the Attack 12, but I assume it will be the same, just less burly parts.

The 12 and 13 are the essentially same binding, the 12 just is marketed as their women's binding, so they dropped the DIN by 1. I'm not sure what that does physically to the binding to drop the cost by $25, as they have the same toe and heel piece. Different spring maybe?

Both the Attack and Warden are great bindings. FWIW, I have the Attack 12s and really enjoy them.

As for the height, exactly what @bounceswoosh said...being raised up off the ski will allow you roll the ski over on groomers more easily, being closer to the ski will give you a better "feel" for the ski on varied terrain, bumps, powder, etc..

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can say that I really like my Attack 12s, and hate HATE my Marker Squires. Besides, won't the Attacks match those skis nicely? Because, that matters, you know! :wink:

brewski

Certified Ski Diva
@bounceswoosh @elemmac @contesstant That's great! I was leaning more towards the AAAttack 12's, good to hear you all love them. I'm primarily skiing 80% on piste 20% off piste, when I have the chance.

Do you all feel these are great for all over downhill performance, I really want to get the most out of my new Atomic Vantage 90's?
My shop told me they were more of a park binding, which has thrown me off.

teppaz

Angel Diva
I have skis with Attacks and Salomon Z12s. While the Z12s are just fine and easy to click in, the Attacks are even smoother. I've never had the problems I've had with Markers with either of those, even in soft, clumpy snow.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My shop told me they were more of a park binding, which has thrown me off.

Uh, no.

I can't find it right now, but I agonized about binding choice on pugski last season, and the Attacks are very much a favorite over there with people who know their bindings backward and forward. The 13 will have more metal than the 12, I'm almost certain. You could certainly post over there and get an "ear"ful from the gearheads. (There are several gearheads here, but you get more there by dint of having both genders.)

elemmac

Angel Diva
@brewski - The Attack bindings are Tyrolia's Freeride binding, they are geared to excel in the park, powder, chop, crud, etc.. That's not to say they don't ski well on groomers, hardpack, and general all-mountain conditions. I enjoyed them very much, and being an east coaster they didn't see much outside of groomers last year.

Sorry can't comment on the Look bindings, never have skied them.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I guess I should restate that they can be a park/freeride binding, but they are a great binding for just about anything all-mountain.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ladies, need your help one more time. I've done countless hours of research and i'm torn between these two bindings for the Atomic Vantage 90 CTI's:

Tyrolia Attack 12
Atomic Warden 11

I currently have the Marker Griffons on my BP's, and I find them very reliable, but man are they a pain to step into unless you are on hard pack.

Thanks!
If it helps at all, the warranty of the Atomic Ski is doubled (two years instead of one) if you put an Atomic binding on it.
Both of those bindings are great options. You can't really go wrong.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've also looked into these LOOKs (https://www.backcountry.com/look-pi...Ta2kgQmluZGluZ3M6MToxMDpiY3NDYXQ1MTExMDAyMQ==), but have never owned a pair of these or the Atomic Warden 11's I was looking into.

Any thoughts over these and the Attack 12's?

Look Pivots are great for powder, very easy to get in if you lose a ski. There are ways to get into any bindings in powder, but with Pivots you can just pull on the heel piece and you are in. I had them on my JJs and when I bought new powder skis I went for Pivots again. Otherwise, with Atomic skis Atomic bindings increase the warranty and would be an easy choice to make.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I can say that I really like my Attack 12s, and hate HATE my Marker Squires. Besides, won't the Attacks match those skis nicely? Because, that matters, you know! :wink:

How old are your Squires? I am intrigued when people hate them, so I always wonder if they have the older model that had a documented issue. In the last few years I have mounted them on 3 pairs of skis (Volkl Yumi, Atomic Elysian, Dynastar Exclusive Legend Eden) and neither my daughter or I have ever had an issue. My sister just got the Atomic Vantage 95 cw and the shop in VT recommended the Squire as the go to binding.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Squire did get a fix a couple years ago with a small roller that's supposed to help step in. However, for women who have a significantly short boot sole length, its still not easy.
I think if you're a 24.5 (286 ish and higher) you probably have no issue. If you're a 23.5 or lower, you're still going to have issues stepping in.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
The Squire did get a fix a couple years ago with a small roller that's supposed to help step in. However, for women who have a significantly short boot sole length, its still not easy.
I think if you're a 24.5 (286 ish and higher) you probably have no issue. If you're a 23.5 or lower, you're still going to have issues stepping in.

Well, now that makes sense and clears up a lot! We are big footed gals here so nary an issue :thumb:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, now that makes sense and clears up a lot! We are big footed gals here so nary an issue :thumb:
As you can imagine, the longer BSL gives you a bit more leverage. :wink:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna