• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

binding choice for blizzard black pearl 88

pinktornado

Diva in Training
Hi Divas!! i know this question has been asked several years over the past years, but I still need some help deciding on the binding to get for my new bp 88 2022. These will be my first skis and first time choosing bindings! I'm a intermediate skier, 5'6'' and 110 lbs. Based on the feedback on this forum i'm leaning towards tyrolia attack 12 (95mm) or marker squire 11 (90mm), but I'm not sure which one is the best option? I was leaning towards the tyrolia ones but not sure if 95mm brake width will be too wide for a 88mm waist? Do the Marker bindings still have the click in issues for the 2022/2023 models? Would love to hear your suggestions! Thank you so much!!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I have squires on my skis and they are great. No click in issues. That being said, I’ve got a fairly strong/solid leg so I don’t know that I would have the problems?

pinktornado

Diva in Training
I have squires on my skis and they are great. No click in issues. That being said, I’ve got a fairly strong/solid leg so I don’t know that I would have the problems?
thanks for the insight :smile: i don't think i have solid leg stregth and this is something i need to work on still.. would 95mm brake width from the Tyrolia be too wide for a 88mm wasit in your opinion?

mustski

Angel Diva
Did you demo the skis? If so, which bindings were on the demos?

As long as the brake is within 10mm of the ski, it's fine so both would work. Both are good bindings; go with whichever is the better deal.

I am one of the divas who really hated the Squires from years ago. That said, I just bought some skis with Marker Griffon demos on them. They are firm on the click in, but not in the crazy dysfunctional way the old Squires were. I believe that problem has been corrected.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just remember that the marker demo bindings often have a completely different heel to the standalone bindings. The demo bindings normally have the TCX heel which has a much easier step-in.

1646273313854.png
1646273328615.png

Demo squire vs "regular" squire. Note the different looking heel.

Marker supposedly improved their click in for the 21/22 and onwards, though that might just be for Griffons, I'm not sure if it's across their whole range. Some people have absolutely no issues with click in for any marker bindings and some hate them. If you're concerned about click-in then I'd go with the attacks, it's a pretty safe choice for an easy click in :smile:

FWIW I asked my ski shop to put an easy-to-step-into binding on my black pearls and they don't have tyrolia bindings but they put look NX12 on them, and honestly that's been a great binding for me. It's completely under the radar I know but it's worked well for me :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Can't really remember why, but my choice for bindings has been Look for the last two pairs of skis that I've bought. I'm petite and reasonably strong, but didn't see any reason to risk dealing with Marker bindings. I had the demo bindings switched out at Taos for the Stormrider 85 skis by Le Ski Mastery a few years ago. Alain had three brand suggestions and when he said Look, that's what I went for. For the powder skis I bought from a Diva in SLC, I had bindings installed by Alta Ski Shop. They had Look bindings--something with a 12 I think--so it was a pretty quick decision process.

pinktornado

Diva in Training
Did you demo the skis? If so, which bindings were on the demos?

As long as the brake is within 10mm of the ski, it's fine so both would work. Both are good bindings; go with whichever is the better deal.

I am one of the divas who really hated the Squires from years ago. That said, I just bought some skis with Marker Griffon demos on them. They are firm on the click in, but not in the crazy dysfunctional way the old Squires were. I believe that problem has been corrected.
unfortunately i didn't get a chance to demo the skis before i purchase.. but thanks for the input!!

pinktornado

Diva in Training
Just remember that the marker demo bindings often have a completely different heel to the standalone bindings. The demo bindings normally have the TCX heel which has a much easier step-in.

View attachment 18196
View attachment 18197

Demo squire vs "regular" squire. Note the different looking heel.

Marker supposedly improved their click in for the 21/22 and onwards, though that might just be for Griffons, I'm not sure if it's across their whole range. Some people have absolutely no issues with click in for any marker bindings and some hate them. If you're concerned about click-in then I'd go with the attacks, it's a pretty safe choice for an easy click in :smile:

FWIW I asked my ski shop to put an easy-to-step-into binding on my black pearls and they don't have tyrolia bindings but they put look NX12 on them, and honestly that's been a great binding for me. It's completely under the radar I know but it's worked well for me :smile:
wow what a great comparison! thank you! i think i'm leaning towards Tyrolia based on this since i'm worried about the click in issues.. as long as the 95mm brake width is not a problem. it seems like BP88 only has about 85mm effective waist, so i was worried about the brake size being to close to the +10mm range.
The Look bindings do look great, but i really wanted white bindings to have color contrast with the dark blue top sheet. Looks like the white Looks are not in stock anywhere :(

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did you check local shops ? I see that there are a lot of white attacks but with 110 brakes.
you could always try to swap out the brake size if the shop was willing......

edit - if this is what you want?

pinktornado

Diva in Training
Did you check local shops ? I see that there are a lot of white attacks but with 110 brakes.
you could always try to swap out the brake size if the shop was willing......

edit - if this is what you want?
yeah exactly! we do have these 95mm white Tyrolia in local shops too!
i was saying that the Look bindings are not availalble in white.. so I might be going for the Tyrolia ones.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Got it! mis-read you were looking for the "Look"

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, yes, I wish the looks came in white too! None of the look bindings do anymore :( mine are mostly black.

I have a pair of white wardens on another pair of skis that look so cool, I am a fan of white bindings so I totally understand wanting to get some :smile: I wish they all came in a white option....

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
New this year is the Squire 12 that also has the easier to step into TCX heel. The Squire 11 still has the traditional Squire heel (but I believe they solved the click in problem with that heel as well). But the TCX is smoother to step into.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga