• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

bike advice?

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last fall I tried mountain biking for the first time. I forgot how much fun it is to ride? While I am not sure mountain biking is really for me, I was thinking of getting a road bike/hybrid bike.

Do any of you have any advice of what to look for? I do not even know where to start. I probobly will not be looking to purchase until after I move to SLC toward the end of the summer. Also, any Utah gals know of good stores in SLC?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I have a hybrid, and I can honestly say that being half for one thing and half for another makes it not much good for anything at all. It's too hard to ride on the roads, and not beefy enough for the trails. I'd strongly recommend going with one or the other -- a road bike or a mountain bike -- instead.

I demoed a road bike last summer, and was blown away by how much fun it was. I think I'm leaning in that direction, myself.

altagirl

Staff member
I'm as much (maybe more this time of year) into mountain biking as I am into skiing! (And that is saying A LOT). I race downhill mountain bikes, and Super D, and do a bunch of trail riding in Moab, and XC stuff on my new singlespeed around SLC.

But basically, you need to figure out what sort of riding you want to do. I would really recommend against a hybrid bike. That type of bike is basically not good at anything. If you want something that can handle both, I'd recommend a decent hardtail mountain bike. You can get a second set of tires (or a second wheelset if you're really into the road riding and want to make it even quicker), and then it will be decent on the road or goofing around town and good for riding trails. A hybrid bike would be horrible off-road unless you're just going to ride gravel roads, which - trust me - is no fun at all. If you want it to be fun, you need a bike that can handle some singletrack. That's where it's at in biking!

Just to give you an idea of the diversity in bikes - this is my bike "quiver":

pbpic1261201.jpg

The pink one is the singlespeed. It's fully rigid and has one gear. (What I'd recommend for you would have a front suspension fork and gears, but a singlespeed has it's advantages too - but it's generally not where you want to start.) It's very lightweight, great for climbing hills, weaving through twisty buffed out singletrack, but not so fun on rocky descents or more technical stuff.

The one in the middle is my trail bike. Most people go with about 5" of travel front and rear - mine has 7" in the rear and 6" in the front. Mine is heavier than average, but built to take some abuse. We like bombing down rockly ledges and stuff in Moab and this can take just about anything, but is geared to climb up to get there on your own.

The one of the left is my downhill bike. This has 8" of travel front and rear and no front derailleur (it has gears, but not as many as a trail bike and it's geared to just pedal fast on flats or downhill). It's nearly impossible to pedal uphill on even a small incline. It weighs about 42 lbs, and is made just for racing DH when you've got lifts to ride, can shuttle, or just want to push the dang thing up to ride back down. It's also made to handle big drops, rocks, etc.

As a skiing comparison it's like a superlight AT setup (backcountry XC skis), a burly AT setup, and big fat skis with alpine bindings for riding the lifts. A road bike would be more like an XC skate/race setup.

What you should get really depends on how much you have budgeted to spend. I can think of some good starter bikes to try, but maybe you'd be better looking for something used.

Which bike shop I'd recommend also depends on where you're moving to exactly within SLC and what type of riding you want to do. Go-Ride.com is my main shop, but they focus on DH/Freeride type stuff. Canyon Bicycles in Draper is excellent for a wider variety of bicycles (from road to freeriding).

As far as road riding goes - I personally think it's fun but won't do it. Traffic scares me. My husband was nearly killed by a driver who fell asleep and flipped his truck in our residential neighborhood last year. I'll jump off 8-10' cliffs on my bike but won't ride the road much at all. On any off-trail ride - if I wreck - it was my fault. It's my choice to try something difficult or walk it. On the road, I'm at the mercy of bad drivers who I can't outrun. That's just not for me.

Hope that helps and you get into it - it's a blast!! :D

SnowGlider

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Sheena,

I rode a hybrid for many years, up to 100 miles a day and 2000 miles in a year.

Last year I got my first road bike. My goal was not speed, but to go farther with less effort on a lighter bike. I'm glad I made the switch. Hybrids have gotten very heavy now with the addition of front shocks, which are really unnecessary on paved roads and even most dirt roads.

There is one myth about hybrids vs road bikes: that you are necessarily in a more upright position on a hybrid. You can achieve the exact same position on a road bike if you want to by making adjustments to the setup.

The "correct position" is a very personal matter. But by paying careful attention to frame size, seat position (height and fore and aft), and handlebar shape and position (both height and how far you are from the bar), you can get the identical position on either a hybrid or a road bike.

So no one should reject a road bike because they want a "more upright position."

I got a road bike because it's light and offers the most hand positions. A straight bar, as on a mountain bike or cross bike, offers only one hand position, which is hard on the wrists and contributes to carpal tunnel syndrome. Adding bars end will help, but they are unnaturally far apart for long distances (so I put them in the middle of the hybrid bar).

Buying a bike is a lot like buying ski boots: YOU WILL DO BEST WITH A SMALL SHOP THAT OFFERS ON-GOING SERVICE!! Fuggedabout your local Dick's Sporting Goods. The reason is the same as with ski boots: the bike is unlikely to fit your body and your needs as is, and will require modifications and changing parts. Try to find a store that will do this for free.

I got a Trek 1000 women's. It's considered low on the totum pole of road bikes, but I love it. I paid $625. The shop did all of these changes without charging an extra nickel: wider handlebars; mountain gears; wider tires (700 x 28); added stem extender; swapped saddle; upgraded derailler to accommodate larger gears; changed cranks for the same reason. This turned the bike into a comfortable machine capable of handling rough roads and STEEEP hills.

In the end, it wasn't the original bike at all. I couldn't believe the time and care the shop took to get the bike to fit me perfectly and to accommodate my shoulder arthritis and neck/back injury (from skiing, of course).

Don't know if you will luck out like that, but it's worth a try.

Drawback of a road bike: you probably won't be able to tour with it. The frame will not accommodate fenders, there may not be dropouts and eyelets for racks, not enough water bottle bosses, etc. I'm keeping my hybrid for touring. There are very few touring bikes on the market these days, for reasons I can't fathom.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I recently went through buying a road bike and have some tips I could give if you decide to go that route. Buying a road bike is like buying a pair of ski boots. FIT FIT FIT. Is the MOST important thing.

Another great site is www.teamestrogen.com, it has a WONDERFUL forum filled with great women who can answer any question you have!

1) Test ride. Test ride AS MANY bikes as you want. Most shops will give you a quick inseam measurement (true inseam) if you let them know you are unsure about your frame sizing. Go to different shops, try different brands and models. Pay attention to which bike makes your heart sing. You will most likely know when you find The Bike.

2) Purchase from a good, reputable shop. This shop will pay special attention to you. My preference for bike shop would be a locally-owned, non-chain store, with employees who are helpful and knowledgeable, who have a large selection of 'performance bikes' (that is high price non-recreational bikes.. that way I know they know their stuff). Ask them about their offerings on personal fittings and subsequent tunings. A good shop will provide a free fitting when you purchase from them, or at least discount the price of the fitting off the bike purchase. They may even provide free following tuneups for a certain time (my shop gave me a free fitting and a 200-mile tuneup, because they know that cables shift and after that time in the saddle you may be aware of things that need to be changed in setup, etc)

3) The Fitting. So important! This will take some time. Most likely the shop will only have one or maybe two Fitters. These people are specially trained, they should spend at least 1 hour with you, put the bike you are buying on a trainer, take measurements, watch you ride, adjust seat height/saddle position/handlebar width/cleat and pedal alignment, even going so far as to change things like shifters out if you need some for shorter-reach. I cannot emphasize how important this is, particularly for most women, as unisex bikes tend to be designed for male body geometries and a good fit can take some time to get for us ladies.

4) Components. These can get intimidating. Don't let the gear talk freak you out. If you are thinking you will at all get into cycling, don't go for the entry level stuff. Neither do you need the really high-level stuff, but a good intermediate component grouping will be good for you. Many bikes carry Shimano components. Stay away from Sora and even Tiagra. 105 and Ultegra are good. Dura-ace is primo. I don't know much about Campy components.

5) Ask questions. Don't be afraid to not buy from a store if you don't feel like you're getting good service. Buying your first bike should be a fun process, and shouldn't leave you frustrated or confused.

FWIW I bought a road bike (actually 'multisport' which means triathlon bike, but is set up as a road bike... geometry-wise) a year or so ago. I have put several thousand miles on it last year. I absolutely love it to death. I have never had a single pain with this bike. If I did, I would no doubt take it back to the shop and get them to make adjustments.

Having a road bike is wonderful. The benefits are many!

And whatever bike you buy, remember... buy the one (mountain, hybrid or road) that puts the biggest grin on your face! Because what is the point of a bike if it doesn't make you smile like a kid again?

Have fun! :D

SnowGlider

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski Diva said:
I have a hybrid, and I can honestly say that being half for one thing and half for another makes it not much good for anything at all. It's too hard to ride on the roads, and not beefy enough for the trails. I'd strongly recommend going with one or the other -- a road bike or a mountain bike -- instead.

I demoed a road bike last summer, and was blown away by how much fun it was. I think I'm leaning in that direction, myself.

A hybrid can be made more rideable by using 700 x 28 tires instead of what comes on the bike.

Until a couple of years ago it was possible to buy a lightweight, no-frills hybrid. I had a great Bianchi hybrid and still have a Specialized Crossroads that's several years old, both reasonably light. But then they started making hybrids so heavy that they've become like heavy city bikes.

But still, a hybrid will do for touring if you can't find a true touring bike.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Actually I just realized you will be in SLC. Go with a mountain bike. :smile:

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
question for Altagirl

I am in the process of trying to get the family situated in bikes for general trail riding. I took my daughter out Sunday for a trial ride
and put her on a heavier older model that I picked up at the goodwill for 20 bucks after my bike got stolen. ( So I would have a bike for kayak shuttles essentially ) We currently have one fairly decent Mountain bike not top of the line but good enough for now, the heavy one and am either looking for one for my husband or a smaller one for my daughter ( the newest was a xmas gift for my daughter but still a little big for anything other than riding paved or flat roads )
She actually fits the heavy old thing pretty good except I need to adjust the brakes so she can reach them better. I guess my question is in looking over your quiver and experience, do you find the heavier bike is easier to control on downhill pitches? I am thinking that it might be just as well to leave her on the heavy one until she grows into her new one and find something for hubby. I can ride her new one for the purpose until she fits it. ( We are a pretty small sized family obviously ) Most of the trails we will be riding have inclines as well as lots of large rocks and erosion barriers. I am more worried about her on the downhill than the uphill. My husband and I are far more versatile, so I guess I am wondering WWAGD?

altagirl

Staff member
I am in the process of trying to get the family situated in bikes for general trail riding. I took my daughter out Sunday for a trial ride
and put her on a heavier older model that I picked up at the goodwill for 20 bucks after my bike got stolen. ( So I would have a bike for kayak shuttles essentially ) We currently have one fairly decent Mountain bike not top of the line but good enough for now, the heavy one and am either looking for one for my husband or a smaller one for my daughter ( the newest was a xmas gift for my daughter but still a little big for anything other than riding paved or flat roads )
She actually fits the heavy old thing pretty good except I need to adjust the brakes so she can reach them better. I guess my question is in looking over your quiver and experience, do you find the heavier bike is easier to control on downhill pitches? I am thinking that it might be just as well to leave her on the heavy one until she grows into her new one and find something for hubby. I can ride her new one for the purpose until she fits it. ( We are a pretty small sized family obviously ) Most of the trails we will be riding have inclines as well as lots of large rocks and erosion barriers. I am more worried about her on the downhill than the uphill. My husband and I are far more versatile, so I guess I am wondering WWAGD?

You know, bike weight does help a bit on the descents when you're a beginner. I was just discussing that with a friend - his wife is the same way. She's still learning and prefers a heavy bike on descents. My first downhill bike was a BEAST. Probably close to 50lbs with 9" of travel. You could have jumped off 50' cliffs with that thing, but I loved it because it could roll over just about anything, and therefore made me feel confident.

I'd say to feel good on the descents you'd probably want a couple of things:

1. Good brakes. Good disc brakes allow you better modulation (i.e. you can brake a little or a lot - it's not an on/off switch). This allows you to slow down without locking up your wheels or going over the bars.

2. Good tires. Obviously make sure the tires on the bike aren't too worn, and if they're very narrow - put a bigger set on. I'd go with a minimum of 2.25 up to a 2.5" tire. If you're worried about climbing ease, that's the opposite - that big tread and contact patch will slow you down with more rolling resistance, so you want a 1.8" to a 2.0" tire if you're say, racing cross country. Also - don't overinflate or underinflate. Likewise for XC racing you might have them pumped up so they feel like rocks - this also helps minimize rolling resistance. But for good traction, you want them a little softer. The specific PSI will depend on the tire and rider weight, but for descending purposes, I usually go with about 25psi. (If you have really thin walled tires, that may not be enough). If I'm going on a ride that's all uphill (especially if I have a pavement climb) and then a descent - I'll often pump my tires up to 45-50psi, then let some air out at the top for the ride down the trail.

3. Bike setup and feel. This is where that "heavy" feel comes in. A heavy bike isn't ideal for handling, and is certainly not ideal for climbing, but it does minimize that feeling of getting bounced around by little rocks. And that makes you feel more confident. I think heavy skis do the same - a super light ski in crud bounces and deflects - a heavier, more solid ski holds it's line better and stays stable. You can also look at things with the setup. Obviously you can't change the frame geometry without buying a new bike, but you can make sure she has a quick release seatpost clamp so she can drop the seatpost when going downhill. That makes worlds of difference. (A gravity dropper seatpost is sweet, but expensive and you can just stop and do it by hand). Mark the seatpost with your proper height for climbing, and then drop it down low when descending. That way you can get your butt back over the rear wheel without the seat getting in the way. It'll do wonders for descending. And avoid having a really long stem. Same concept - if your weight is way out over the front wheel, you're more likely to endo if you hit something. You'll notice on most DH/freeride bikes they use a super short stem - that helps keep your body weight back.

Hopefully that helps!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
awsome

Thank you, some things like disc brakes might not be an option now, but given your reccomendations I do think that keeping the kid on the heavier schwinn might be better. Not only is the length you talked about shorter, it's actually a "women's bike" which just seemed alot easier for her from my observations. And I don't think it's so heavy that it will inhibit her climbing, it may actually keep the bike more tracked on the rocky climbs. She has a nice bike to grow into so it would make sense to get the man a new bike this year and me next year and she should fit the new one then as well. The pathetic thing is he had one and we can't find it?! It's unlikely anyone stole it out here, we think we may have left it behind at our old house. We had stored it in a "hidden" place after having two others stolen from our front porch and shed and I think we were so stressed we forgot to get it. What a bunch of losers huh? I think there is a point when you have too many sports and quivers when you actually start forgetting about some of your devices.

altagirl

Staff member
Altagirl...

Sweeeeeeeet PUSS!!!!!!! :D :D

Thanks! I love it. And it's totally decked out - not sure if you can tell in the first photo but:

pbpic1261194.jpg

Pink Chris King hubs and headset
Thomson stem and seatpost
Arione saddle (wow - comfy and light in addition to matching)
Juicy 7 brakes
It even has a pink chain!

I'm adding on some dangerboy pink bar end caps and pink candy pedals which are both on the way. It's silly how light and sweet this bike is. And it's definitely an eye-catcher. My husband was spinning it around the driveway as soon as I got her together and somone in a subaru with bikes on the roof almost wrecked his car checking it out (well both the bike and my 220lb husband on my pink bike, I'm sure.)

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
My husband was spinning it around the driveway as soon as I got her together and somone in a subaru with bikes on the roof almost wrecked his car checking it out (well both the bike and my 220lb husband on my pink bike, I'm sure.)

THAT'S what we need a picture of!!!! :D

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Altagirl....

That's just awesome. How do you like the Juicy's? What's your dowhnill rig - Ellsworth???

Here's my summer quiver - click each pic for a bigger view:
My FS rig (The Beast)

My Hardtail (aka The Wedding Present)

And the roadie (aka "Sits in the shed bike")

altagirl

Staff member
Nice! That lefty is a big improvement, huh? When I was living in Alabama and learning to ride, my husband decided he wanted a Jekyll. He was still in Italy so I went looking for a deal on those and test rode everything I could find, and I ended up getting a Jekyll too. He got the one with the lefty and mine had a headshok. After about 2 years, I sold mine, inherited his and he bought a new bike. We've since sold it to two friends and it's still going strong!

I do like the juicy's so far but I have Hayes on everything else, and those work just as well for me. (The only problem I ever had with the Hayes was the lever reach set screws backing out - but nothing a dot of loc-tite didn't fix). I'm thinking about swapping the brakes to Hayes just to have the same pads and bleed kit and all on everything.

The DH rig is a Ventana El Cuervo. (Go-Ride is the shop we frequent and they organize our local DH race series.) It's so fun! We have some great lift served riding at Deer Valley.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yup, I just love that Lefty. We bought the bike on e-bay a few years ago and had to have the Headshock serviced after that first summer (you just never know what other people have done to a used bike :( ). Then hubby got me the Lefty for my anniversary present last year. What an improvement!! It even has the push-button electronic lock out. Yeah!! It's so much more plush then the headshock yet not as marshmallowy. His Jekyll has the old Moto fork on it. What a hog!! He's 200+ lbs and we do some stupid stuff, but he's never bottomed it out. I'm looking for a Lefty for his too, but right now he's building a genuine Team Sobe hardtail up, so it'll have to wait.

We have all Hayes brakes (his hydro, mine mech) so all our pads are interchangeable. I was just wondering if there was any appreciable difference between the Hayes and the Avid.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna