• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Biggest Surprises/Disappointments

dburdenbates

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw this thread over on Epic and thought I'd give it a shot over here. It degraded into a pi$$ing match over there as to why you would want to share you favorite spots with others or some such nonsense.

Anywho, just wondering what ski area/resorts you were pleasantly surprised with and others that might not have quite lived up to your expectations. I know that many trips are affected by weather and such, so these types of discussions are often subjective, but let's give it a shot.

Pleasant surprises:

The Canyons - I'd heard so may bad things about the service and the layout, that I suppose my expectations were terribly low to begin with. But what I experienced during my visit here was nothing but tons of fun terrain. I also don't remember it being terribly difficult to navigate around as I've heard so often. And getting there couldn't have been easier using the Park City shuttle. It drops you off right out front and there is no need to ride the Gondola up to the base.

Park City Mountain Resort
- I had actually been to PCMR one time before and had an overly crowded, less than spectacular experience. But the last time hubby and I went (Feb. 2006), we enjoyed it much more. I suppose it surprised me that I liked it at all after our first experience there.

Disappointments:

Lake Louise - The real disappointment here is that I didn't realize that you can't actually see the lake while you are skiing in winter. It is just a frozen pond that basically blends in with the rest of the frozen landscape. I guess I was expecting a Lake Tahoe type view. The remainder of the experience was still very nice, though.

Vail - Given the hype, the prices, the parking fees, etc., I expected a much more Deer Valley type of experience. Instead on our first visit here, we were greeted with port-o-potties at the base instead of a "lodge". WTF? We had to pay $20 to park and then lug our crap for what seemed like forever over to the base to be greeted with this? There are also only a handful of lockers outside next to the ticketing window, so unless you want to walk in your boots from the lot, you'd best get there early to get a locker (or plan to put your street shoes on top of the lockers when none are available when you arrive). Now, I'm not a snob, but this is just not what I expected from Vail. For a place with lift tickets that are on par or perhaps even more expensive than Deer Valley and an image that portrays a more luxurious experience, it just doesn't fit. I expect that from Loveland, Alta, and other local type areas that provide a very no-frills experience and there is nothing wrong with that. But Vail, get your act together. Now, I have nothing bad to say about the terrain, I was absolutely fine with it and will certainly go back, but with expectations that are far less.

Alta - I realize that this is probably blasphemous, but I just didn't see the draw here. When I went it was crowded and the lifts were painfully slow. Perhaps we hadn't had any good snow to really experience it the way it should be. I'll still go back and see if I can find out what I missed previously.

Breckenridge - It's unfortunate that this is my husband's favorite mountain because it just holds little fascination for me. The runs all seem basically the same to me. Now, he continually reminds me that I have never experienced the entire mountain and he is correct. We have only ever been over T'giving and typically only Peak 9 (and a bit of Peak 10) is open. Hopefully, I will fall in love with it when we go next February.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Give Breck a mid-winter chance. I went last year in Feb. for my first foray into western skiing, and the trees in "The Burn" off of peak 10 alone were uber fun and held my interest for nearly an entire day.

Greeley

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Biggest Suprise
Vail - I used to hate Vail. We hadn't been there for about 15 years and decided to give it another chance. On prior trips we always drove over from Summit county for the day. It was miserable, lugging the skis for miles from the parking garages, no lockers, etc.
To really appreciate Vail, you need to stay there whithin walking distance of the lifts. We have found that snow.com runs some pretty good lodging & lift packages.
It has now become one of our favorites. It might not get the most snow in Colorado but the back bowls can't be beat.

Disappoinment
Crested Butte - We kept hearing about all the great terrain at CB so decided to vist a few years ago. The conditions were so bad, the groomed blue runs were the only skiable terrain. During the time we were there it seemed like every other resort in Colorado was geting fresh snow - except for CB.

eng_ch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Biggest surprise
Buying an apartment in Laax :smile:

Disappointment
Wouldn't necessarily class it as a massive disappointment but the Espace Killy just didn't "grab" us as we thought it might. Tignes is an ugly protruding carbuncle on the side of the mountain and shouldn't be allowed :smile: Val d'Isere was OK, but the main street is long and strung out, there's not much of a village centre imo, and it lacks a good bar on the front de neige and nice easy runs down to it so every one can ski down and meet up irrespective of ability. Had a couple of nice runs I will remember fondly, and our instructor there (recommended by our regular guy) was excellent. But wouldn't go back again in winter in a hurry. And think I'd prefer Les Deux Alpes for summer if I got the chance

abc

Banned
This has been a good season so tons of pleasent surprises:

The biggest has to be skiing in Jungfrau, Switzerland. I expect great scenary and was not disappointed. But really, the biggest surprise is the lack of crowds. I guess it's such a big place the crowd just thin out well. I didn't see the rest of my gang during the day much.

The disappointment? Can't think of any.

It's been a good season. (and it's not done yet, from the look of it)

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
:bump: Just came upon this old thread and thought it'd make an interesting discussion now. Anyone care to contribute?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Biggest surprise: experiencing just how *big* Big Sky is. It's, like ... big. Hah. Hard to explain unless you've been there, maybe. And how good Deer Valley's food is. I mean, I was told, but ..

So basically I've been surprised when reality lived up to the hype.

Biggest disappointment:
The two times I've been to Steamboat in the last few years, the snow has been pretty crappy and there have been lift delay issues. I've come to rely on Breck's high altitude, which allows it to keep winter snow even through warm snaps.

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Biggest Surprise: As a newbie my biggest surprise was how different the trail difficulty rating system can be from mountain to mountain. I took my first ski trip (for my second time skiing) to Summit County with my parents in March. Only my dad and I were doing any actual skiing and we spent most of our time in Breckenridge at Peak 9. We took a lesson, skied the greens, and had fun. It was nothing that would make your hands sweat or heart palpitate .

My dad loves Keystone (but hadn't been in 10 years) so we decided to drive over for the day. We get on the gondola for School Marm (another green trail). There's a mid station and I get up to get off. The lift operator says "No your stop is at the top". What?! As the gondola doors are closing I pry them open and say "Are you sure?! We're looking for School Marm." He says yes and with trepidation we get off at the top. It was a beautiful view, but where is this "green trail"? My dad is already clicked in, smiling, and ready to go! I ask someone who works there and they it point out. There it was, with a big banner that says "FAMILY RUN" on it:laughter:. So to shorten the story we spend next 30 mins to an hour falling down and panting. My dad is 10 years older and rusty. During one of our recoveries he says "Man, I don't remember it being like this, I used to race down this run" :rolleyes:. As soon as we get down, I walk straight to the ski school for another lesson.

Biggest Disappointment: None so far. I haven't been to enough ski areas to really complain.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Biggest surprise: how much can be learned and practiced about bump skiing at a small ski hill in the Mid-Atlantic. Makes a big difference when the instructor is a very experienced Level 3 with 30+ years of experience and a special interest in teaching older skiers.

Biggest Disappointment: Have yet to make it to Powder Mountain in good snow conditions. One of these days the stars will align.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Biggest Disappointment: Grand Targhee.
Probably not a fair evaluation given that we went over there from Jackson one day before JHR reopened from their week-long power outage last year. I thought the layout was quite strange; especially the main lift by the restaurant patio. There was very little room for the lines to form . Skiers on the slopeside of the entrance to that lift could well be ON a slope since there was no graded flat area off the run for skiers to queue.

The trail layout seemed quirky too.

I did appreciate the commercial layout of the base area. Shops, food, gear, bathrooms easily accessible.
Best part of the day for me was taking in the beauty of the mountains and vistas. Exceptional.

Joyous Surprise: TAOS. Already did a TR two years ago with my impressions. This mountain has it all, and it offers something for every level of skier.

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My biggest disappointment came when my family moved from Switzerland to the Chicago area when I was 11 years old. I couldn't believe Villa Olivia when I first saw it. I came to appreciate the"bigger" Midwest ski areas after that. I haven't had any disappointments since moving to California. The only time I've traveled to ski as an adult was to Steamboat, and that was fantastic. Great snow, and I think it snowed the whole time I was there!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's a plug for an underdog!

If people in ski circles talk about the Poconos at all, it's usually to bash the skiing here. And fairly enough, really. But I continue to be pleasantly surprised by Blue Mountain, which is my "home" hill.

Yes, it gets unspeakably crowded on weekends and you have to work around that. But it also has long-ish and interesting runs (by local standards anyway)and is open every day until 10pm; weeknights are never crowded. Parking is close and easy, and the upper lodge/restaurant/bar/patio is really nice by any standard. The lower lodge is an old, generic, cinderblock-y place, but it does have heated floors and an additional bar in case of emergency :becky:.

Since it's just 30 minutes away for me and I'm often am done teaching by 3:30-ish, that's a lot of potential time on snow. I'm very much learning and am far from fair-weather: I'll ski in or on anything. I made a lot of progress last year and that's owed to being able to get in so much practice at Blue. So mad props to Poconos night skiing.

I've been casually scheming to land a job in Vermont for the past few years, and last year I realized that if I did move to VT, I might end up doing a LOT less skiing than I do here. I may outgrow Blue as I progress, perhaps. but I'm perfectly happy here for now. (Plus I have a MAX pass to go elsewhere on weekends!)

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
thankfully no disappointments, for me any day on snow is better than at work.

Surprises: skiing powder on 'fat" skis after years of 200cm skinny skis wow it's so much easier!
Second vote for TAOS!!! over 300days of sunshine, wonderful steeps no people

the MCP pass has been a great surprise (Epic/Max pass are awesome too) after years of only going to one Mt due to price w/these multi mountain passes and cheaper air fare I'm now skiing several Mts out west!!

Christy

Angel Diva
In general as someone that didn't learn to ski until I was an adult I think the biggest surprise was how rare a true powder day is. The way a lot of people talk I thought powder was basically guaranteed in the Rockies, that here in WA it's just Cascade Concrete. Except that over the years the best snow I've ever had was here in WA. I've experienced (not light, not powder) snow elsewhere but after many trips still never experienced a true powder day outside of WA. I do believe that when/if I do experience one in UT it could blow my mind, but trying to make that happen--becoming obsessed with weather, paying last minute flight prices, then dealing with bad or closed roads and crowds--just sounds too hard.

Maybe I'll feel differently as ski season ramps up--I do love to travel and visit new places. But last night as my husband was buying his Whistler Edge Card which now has bonus days at Vail resorts he was asking where I wanted to ski this year...all I feel like skiing is Crystal. We'll go to Sun Valley--I love it there--but it's not necessarily the skiing I love best there.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's a plug for an underdog!

Since it's just 30 minutes away for me and I'm often am done teaching by 3:30-ish, that's a lot of potential time on snow.

I learned to ski at Blue. Say what you will about it, but their night skiing deal was wonderful. I used to work a full day in Philly, leave work at 5pm, drive 1.5-2h to get to Blue and still be able to ski for a few hours. I did this once a week for a while, and honestly it probably made me the skier I am today.

Rue Roberts

Certified Ski Diva
Biggest Surprise:
Shames Mountain Coop - It's a sweet little place in Terrace, BC with amazing well-documented slackcountry, even multi-day trips in some directions, the scenery along the road there is stunning, the town grows on you so quickly, and Prince Rupert isn't far and is one of the loveliest coastal towns I've been to. It doesn't seem it would be worth traveling for, and perhaps it isn't, but I have much fonder memories of it than many trips to bigger name ski areas.

Okemo - (In Vermont). The glades here are some of the most fun I've had in trees (and I've done two full seasons in B.C), the groomers are so steep and consistent and satisfying, and oh my god, the bubble chairlift with soft couch-like heated seats is just arousing it's so wonderful.

Biggest disappointments:
Lake Louise - The lake itself is wonderful, I loved ice climbing on Lake Louise Falls, the jail (chateau) has a magical feel and a wonderful restaurant with huge arching windows out onto the lake, the village is cute, the Alpine Club of Canada run hostel is my third favorite hostel anywhere and so spacious, the drives in every direction are some of the most stunning anywhere, the nearby backcountry skiing is endless and memorable with so much beta, but the in-resort skiing was so so disappointing. The only nice thing I have to say about it is they do a wonderful spring pass, you can buy a $344 weekday pass for the last two months of the season. The alpine skiing is normally whiteout with deep moguls you can't see, the groomers lower down are very unsatisfying, I can never get into a flow on them, and the trees are largely ungladed because it's in a national park and the ski resort has very limited rights to manage the forest. I found two wonderful tree lines and lapped them over and over but I never found any more and drifted off feeling cheated.

Whitewater - Nelson itself is lovely, the hostel has a lovely atmosphere and it's fun to walk around town. But I expected the resort to have awesome slackcountry from everything I'd heard, and it was so so boring. Very little alpine, undynamic pitches, just really really meh.

Cypress - This one isn't really fair given it's an amazing ski hill for overlooking a big city (Vancouver), but it was my biggest disappointment. I was so sure the closest ski resort to Vancouver would have an amazing beginner area that I took my then-boyfriend there to teach him to ski, we bought our tickets and rented him gear, and then found they have no magic carpet. How can you not have a magic carpet at a family friendly city resort? Revelstoke has two amazing magic carpets and it's an expert mountain.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga